Sign in to follow this  
Clint M

Spider-Man 3

What'll probably happen in Spider-Man 3 is we'll see Mary Jane somehow threatened by the villains because Spider-Man's true identity has become known.

Hasn't Mary Jane been threatened in the first two movies? It seems like Spiderman ends up rescuing Mary Jane all the time anyway, his anonymoity didn't seem to be keeping her out of harm's way.

"Did you mention, perhaps, what line of industrial lubricants Jesus would have endorsed?"

It seems like Spiderman ends up rescuing Mary Jane all the time anyway, his anonymoity didn't seem to be keeping her out of harm's way.

Hmm. That is a good point, MichaelRay.

Still, the end of the second movie does still point towards a plotline where Spider-Man's enemies know who he is and are therefore more dangerous to his family/loved ones. I guess it will be very interesting to see where the movies go from here.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

What'll probably happen in Spider-Man 3 is we'll see Mary Jane somehow threatened by the villains because Spider-Man's true identity has become known.

Hasn't Mary Jane been threatened in the first two movies? It seems like Spiderman ends up rescuing Mary Jane all the time anyway, his anonymoity didn't seem to be keeping her out of harm's way.

Which makes me think that if Raimi wanted to stun the audience, he'd have MJ die in the third film before Spider-Man can save her. If they are going to end at the third film, better to go out with a surprise!

New rumors going around:

IMDB is reporting that the John Jameson character (the guy who almost married MJ in film 2) will become Man-Wolf in the third film. Church's character may indeed be Venom.

Now this is interesting: is Raimi going to bring in the Sinister Six into the next film??

And... remember Tobey's audition tape for the first movie (on the DVD)? The female role was played out of a favor to Raimi by Eliza Dushku. So there's a possibility that she could be cast as the Black Cat.

Edited by Clint M

Sounds like this is starting to get as crowded as "Batman and Robin" was. OK, that movie had lots of other problems too, but certainly one of its problems was too many heroes, too many villains.

B

Sounds like this is starting to get as crowded as "Batman and Robin" was. OK, that movie had lots of other problems too, but certainly one of its problems was too many heroes, too many villains.

Having a lot of superheroes and villains in the same movie isn't always a problem. X2 proved that you can make a good comic-book film and still use over a dozen main characters at the same time. The Incredibles also had a lot of characters (albeit some were very minor) and it was really good.

Its interesting that Venom may be putting in an appearance after all. Maybe Raimi had a change of heart about the character. Another possibility is that THC could have been cast as The Scorpion; he's a showy, cinematic villain, and would translate well to the big screen.

Now this is interesting: is Raimi going to bring in the Sinister Six into the next film??

I'm not sure; it seems like the odds are against it, if he's going to have Dr. Connors and the Black Cat involved.

I'll go along with you on Incredibles, my favorite movie of last year. But for me, X2 didn't work either, and in part for this reason - too many characters. (I know X2 is a hit with many people, and I'm not dissing it too much. But for me it was too cluttered. I've watched the first X-Men through several times, but I've not had the desire to revisit X2 since my initial viewing. Interesting... I've had the same response to Spidey-2: in some ways a better film than the first, but I've not had the desire to see it again.)

B

Digressing back to Spiderman for a moment: It's my recollection that in Spiderman 2, Spiderman marries Mary Jane, and they live happily ever after, and Spiderman still goes after enemies to protect his family and loved ones. I'm really not sure how a Spiderman 3 would go over, or if it would really work, but they could try, I guess.

Well, I stand corrected. Ain't It Cool News is now reporting that the new villian that Thomas Hayden Church will be playing is...

spoilers1.gif

...Sandman.

I don't know how I feel about that. I was really looking forward to seeing

Venom.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

spoilers1.gif (I haven't figured out how to hide text behind the little black line yet, so watch out) biggrin.gif

Interesting point, Alan. The fact that MJ left her wedding at the altar does leave both herself and Spider-Man open to vengeance from stranded groom John Jameson, who in the comics becomes Man-Wolf (I am assuming he will appear in the film, despite THC playing the main villain). The ending of Spider-Man 2 is happy, but it isn't particularly happily ever after. There is still room for stuff to go wrong.

Its interesting that Raimi is going with the particular villain that he chose. From the get go I never thought it would be Venom, but I wasn't expecting this one either.

If you tally up all the rumors, it appears that this film could have minor-to-important roles for spoilers1.gif the Sandman (apparently), Curt Connors/The Lizard, Black Cat, Man-Wolf, and Harry Osbore/ The Green Goblin. Doubtless a few, or maybe even most of them, will be absent from the final cut, but so far it seems that Raimi is considering a lot of options.

Looks to me like it'll be a big gang-up on Spider-Man by all the villains ... I think I recall the comics doing that a few times. Hope it doesn't just overwhelm the film ... they could probably do anything and gross $400 million though, so maybe they're not concerned.

Well, even though it's a different lineup than the original, Riami almost got enough villians for Spidey to fight the Sinister Six. Sandman, Lizardman, Man-Wolf, Black Cat, and Hobgoblin.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

Given the fact that most sequels and/or remakes turn out to be disastrous, there's only so far that the idea of a sequal or sequals can be carried before it turns out that way.

Just got a press release saying TOPHER GRACE will be in the new film. No word yet on which character he will be playing; on that point, the studio still has no comment. (Ditto re: Church's character.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

My sources are saying something completely different Clint.

Wanna know what I've read on various comic book boards?

spoilers1.gif

Note: If this is true this is a bit of a spoiler for the film, not something that will be revealed in trailers, etc.

Thomas Hayden Church.....

Chameleon

James Franco....................

Green Goblin (in the comics Hobgoblin was completely unrelated to the Osborn family

Topher Grace....................

Chameleon!

This fits with what we know about Sam Raimi, given his dislike of

Venom

and his love of the classic comics

Chameleon was the villian in

Amazing Spider-man #1

Edited by Anders

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

According to Super Hero Hype. Dunst has confirmed that Church is playing

Sandman

and Grace is indeed

Venom.

Nothing yet about the fate of Harry Osborne.

(You know, there's something ironic about two people playing villians who have the last names "Church" and "Grace".)

Edited by Clint M

smile.gif

Imagine the poster, with just the last names, like some posters are...

MAGUIRE, DUNST

CHURCH, GRACE

SPIDER-MAN 3

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Nothing yet about the fate of Harry Osborne.

Even though the character has cheesy lines and acts wimpy, I do hope that James Franco/Green Goblin comes back to finish what he started. For continuity's sake, at least. And I like those little pumpkin bombs. biggrin.gif

I'm intrigued by Dunst's comment, "There's a lot they're going to fit into this one." She seems to be confirming the fact that this will be a villain-loaded Spidey flick. Here's hoping it doesn't end up like the Burton/Schumacher Batman films, that were so busy with badguys that they didn't develop the title character.

Maybe this cramming of villains and plot points means that this will be the end of the series after all, and that there will be no Spider-Man 4? I can't imagine Maguire, Dunst, and Raimi coming back for a fourth time if they're going to make such a big bang with the third one.

I really like the villian idea put forth a couple months back that pegged

Chameleon

as the villian. Is it possible that Dunst's mix-up with who's supposed to play who is just a smoke screen? Is Raimi pulling our leg, especially after he claimed he dislikes

Venom

?

FWIW, I think that if you're going to have

Venom

, he's enough of a villian on his own to take up a full film and it makes no logical sense to pair him with

Sandman

Anyway, it's still just under two years until this one comes out. A lot could change.

P.S. Do you think it's necessary to put spoiler alerts on all the villian names now? I just don't want to ruin the trailer for anyone tongue.gif

Edited by Anders

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

spoilers1.gif

For those eager to know which villain Hayden Church will be playing, check out this bit of official news.

As one who has not followed the Spiderman mythos closely, but has greatly enjoyed the movies, I find this to be an interesting change of pace: while the two prior film villains were on a surface level decent chaps, although clearly misguided and power-hungry, this newest villain is apparently a career sociopath. On the other hand, with this fellow, Stan Lee continues his fixation with the dangers of radiation (I guess he's not a big fan of nucular power, eh?).

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Dude looks JUST like

the Sandman

! Wow.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."