Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Woven Hand

Persona   

I think I'd give it a listen based on its name alone. That. Is. Awesome.

Is that Jay Munly by chance? I loved his solo record a few years ago.

-s.

This news leaked out without warning. I thought it would be appropriate to share so that no one misses their chance to see Woven Hand. If you are on the west coast, here are the dates.

Apr 4 2007 9:00P

12 galaxies w/The Dodos & Matt Bauer San Francisco, California

Apr 5 2007 8:00P

Stanford University/750 Club Palo Alto, California

Apr 6 2007 7:00P

The Attic w/ Dodo Bird Santa Cruz, California

Excellent.

Hugues   

-s.

Yes. Are you talking of Jimmy Carter Syndrome? Fascinating record. The opener "My Darling Sambo" is worth the purchase alone. And I think we can also hear this track entirely on his site (or his label one).

Persona   

-s.

Yes. Are you talking of Jimmy Carter Syndrome? Fascinating record. The opener "My Darling Sambo" is worth the purchase alone. And I think we can also hear this track entirely on his site (or his label one).

Yes. In fact, I just put it in a few hours ago and gave it its first 2007 spin. The kids were at play so I only made it through the first two songs, but what interesting and fun songs they are. I'll either put it in the car or in my computer room to give the whole record its dusting off again soon.

-s.

Edited by stef

Joel C   

So I'm finally ready to dive into DEE's music. I was put off by 16HP for whatever reason, seemed a little too over the top for my taste. However, the sound clips I've heard of Consider the Birds really has me interested.

However, a lot of people here have alluded to Blush Music as well (which also sounds fascinating, in a different way). For someone who has little money (or emusic credit) to spend, with which WH album should I start?

Edited by Joel C

Diane   

Joel, I'm a big fan of Blush Music and find it fascinating, but I don't think I would recommend starting there--it's a very different animal, with several songs on the album being instrumentals and several others being reworkings of songs from Woven Hand's self-titled debut. I think Consider the Birds or the debut album would be the best intro to WH. I'm guessing most people here would name Consider the Birds as the best WH disc. Y'all can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

So I'm finally ready to dive into DEE's music. I was put off by 16HP for whatever reason, seemed a little too over the top for my taste.

Even Folklore? All in all, it's quite sparse and restrained.

opus   
I'm guessing most people here would name Consider the Birds as the best WH disc. Y'all can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I agree. Consider The Birds is the best place to start. After that, the self-titled debut or Mosaic should be your next purchases. Blush Music is more experimental and ambient. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I think the more song-oriented albums are more powerful and rewarding.

Persona   

Overall I agree that Blush is not a good place to start. It is my least listened to DEE project.

I'd go with Consider The Birds, or their first CD, which, IIRC, is simply called "Woven Hand." Am I remembering this correctly?

The reason the first disc comes to mind is because Joel thought that some of the old 16HP was a little too over-the-top. In my mind, even though Consider The Birds is their best recordnig, it has some over-the-top stuff on it too, so I was thinking that the best entry point for him might actually be the first disc. Which I think was self-titled.

-s.

Edited by stef

Joel C   

Well, after about 15 minutes into Consider The Birds, I'm seriously considering just buying the self-titled album as well. I know I'm gonna want it anyway.

I keep trying to hold my jaw in place, but am about to give up because it keeps dropping over and over again. This guy is amazing. I don't think I've ever heard a song like "To Make A Ring" before in my entire life. I've gotta give this a few more listens.

So I'm finally ready to dive into DEE's music. I was put off by 16HP for whatever reason, seemed a little too over the top for my taste.

Even Folklore? All in all, it's quite sparse and restrained.

Folklore. Now that's an underrated album, even within the confines of the discography of an already fairly obscure musician. I've got everything 16HP/Woven Hand, and even I forget about it at times. Then I'll see it lying around, throw it in the playerl, and...wow. Somehow it's 16HP's most rustic and traditional sounding record, and yet at time it sounds like lost Joy Division tapes (see "Blessed Persistance").

Persona   
Well, after about 15 minutes into Consider The Birds, I'm seriously considering just buying the self-titled album as well. I know I'm gonna want it anyway.

I keep trying to hold my jaw in place, but am about to give up because it keeps dropping over and over again. This guy is amazing. I don't think I've ever heard a song like "To Make A Ring" before in my entire life. I've gotta give this a few more listens.

I'm glad you like it, Joel. They are one of my all-time favorite bands -- one of those rare bands that I cannot digitally download. Kind of like Arcade Fire, I have to actually go get the disc when David Eugene Edwards puts out any new project.

"To Make A Ring" blows my mind with every new spin I give it. To me, it is kind of like listening to Nick Cave's "The Carny." Sure, it's strange as all get out. But it's also compelling; it invites me into this strange little world the artist has created.

Folklore. Now that's an underrated album, even within the confines of the discography of an already fairly obscure musician. I've got everything 16HP/Woven Hand, and even I forget about it at times. Then I'll see it lying around, throw it in the playerl, and...wow. Somehow it's 16HP's most rustic and traditional sounding record, and yet at time it sounds like lost Joy Division tapes (see "Blessed Persistance").

Now that 16HP has broken up, I find that Folklore is the CD I most listen to. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Low Estate -- it's the album that caused my wife and I to fall in love with the band and go back and buy their earlier work, which at the time was Sackcloth 'n' Ashes, and both recordings blew our mind. They were just so much fun. We got to see 16HP in Chicago in those early days, and we took a friend with and had to pick his eyeballs up off the floor when the whole thing was done... :)

But it seems that when I go back and listen to 16 Horsepower these days, I almost always go back to their later work. Either Folklore or Secret South. Folklore is fun for its opening riff and for the lyrics on Outlaw Song, which are DEE at his FUNest.

-s.

Edited by stef

Diane   

It warms my heart to see the love for Folklore. Such a mature work. Of all the 16HP albums, it took me longest to get into this one, but once it got under my skin...whoa.

Joel, enjoy your new music! I'm glad you're liking it. Hearing it for the first time is unforgettable--I'm almost envious of you.

opus   

Anyone care for some 16 Horsepower and Woven Hand bootlegs?

http://lost-intyme.blogspot.com/2007/10/wo...gs-1-video.html

http://lost-intyme.blogspot.com/2007/10/16...2-bootlegs.html

I've got to see Woven Hand again, and soon, if only to experience "Winter Shaker" live.

From the latest Sounds Familyre newsletter:

Just a short time after that, with the strength of ten men each, Soul-Junk and Woven Hand, like ancient Norse mythological deities, descended on Clarksboro, NJ to wrestle to two-inch tape songs almost too wild and beautiful to be contained. With the help, guidance, and expertise of Emil Nikolaisen of Serena-Maneesh and Daniel Smith, their efforts were not in vain. At the end of two extraordinary weeks of activity and very little sleep, there exist the strong foundations of two incredibly compelling records.

opus   

Soul-Junk and Woven Hand?!? Now there's a combination I would never have imagined. They're on complete opposite ends of the spectrum, musically and tonally. These records could either be a complete mess, or something absolutely wonderful.

Persona   
From the latest Sounds Familyre newsletter:
Just a short time after that, with the strength of ten men each, Soul-Junk and Woven Hand, like ancient Norse mythological deities, descended on Clarksboro, NJ to wrestle to two-inch tape songs almost too wild and beautiful to be contained. With the help, guidance, and expertise of Emil Nikolaisen of Serena-Maneesh and Daniel Smith, their efforts were not in vain. At the end of two extraordinary weeks of activity and very little sleep, there exist the strong foundations of two incredibly compelling records.

Huh.

A record from each, having both kinda wrestled and written together, or two records from a new band that they are forming?

-s.

opus   

It's the former. Two new records, one from each artist, so not a true collaboration.

Woven Hand's new album, Ten Stones, will be released in April (specific date TBA) and DEE & Ordy will play a few shows in the Eastern Plains. Sounds Familyre has the details.

This might be the first time they have started promoting/touring their new album in the US before Europe.

opus   

This news just made my week.

Also, the song "Consecration" on the myspace page will be on an upcoming compilation with the soundtrack to Awake, My Soul: The Story of the Sacred Harp. Others on the compilation (disc 2): the innocence mission, Sufjan Stevens, Jim Lauderdale and Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones. No specific details yet.

Awake, My Soul & Help Me to Sing

A forthcoming two disc CD set which compiles both traditional Sacred Harp singing and contemporary interpretations of songs from

The original announcement from SF made it sound like Ten Stones was coming out in April but it will actually not be released until September. My guess is that it will be out sooner in Europe, as usual.

Emil = Emil Nikolaison of Serena-Maneesh. From S-M blog:

Emil has contributed with a little bit of playing on some records. He did some engineering/ mixing on some as well. Plus some ballet music... a rather special one is a contribution with nylon string on the Jobim/ Sinatra cover 'Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars' for David Eugene Edward' s Woven Hands new record out pretty soon on Daniel Smith's (Danielson) label Sounds Familyre

Persona   
Two songs from Ten Stones as well as the cover artwork and release date (Sept 9) are up now on Sounds Familyre's myspace page.

OH. MY. Word.

YES!

I don't know why I'm surprised, I don't know why I don't flat out come to understand that DEE is going to make my jaw drop and my senses burst open with wild excitement every time, but once again he has throttled me. God bless DEE, what a marvelous idea the world is with him in it.

Thanks, HC. I can't wait for the new recording in September.

Diane   

I'm with Stef