Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Woven Hand

I have many times thought I was hearing the deep droning blown tone of a didgeridoo on Consider The Birds. If what I'm hearing actually isn't one, well it certainly sounds like one.

I'm going to listen to the CD a few more times. Then the dissections begin. I will start by throwing out this bone and see if anyone else wants to bite: this record is more fun to us because DEE actually reels himself in a bit and is less abstract than his typical self, which only writes out cool sounding lines, one at a time, inserted into the song one line at a time. ("Crooked wooden peacock black," for instance, sounds awesome, especially with DEE's voice, but no one relates to it inasmuch as we fear whatever the concept is our minds have made from those words.) Consider The Birds is more straight played than ever before, DEE letting his guard down and completing thoughts in a more rational, systematic order than he has on previous recordings. Consider The Birds is actually the opposite of Blush Music in that aspect, but the entire aim, the purpose of the music itself is altogether different, so that has something to do with it as well.

My point is that he reeled himself in a bit on the latest effort. That he is less artsy, more direct, still a very scary man, but now capable of scaring with a more established conviction rather than just the actual diction used.

-s.

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

PS I typed the entire last post -- and this one -- with Elijah Hewson Loy asleep in my left arm. And he stayed asleep the whole time. Man, that is good. grin.gif

Here's a link to a new Denver Post article: "Woven Hand and Life After 16 Horsepower." It's brief, and we've heard some of this before, but it's still interesting.

Is it too early to start getting excited about a new WH album in spring of '06?!

Edited by Diane

Is it too early to start getting excited about a new WH album in spring of '06?!

I haven't even started on my "Best Of 2005" list, and now I have to start working on my "Best Of 2006" list already. Sheesh...

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Great thoughts, Stef. I can pretty much only echo my agreement, though there are still several rather mysterious lyrics there, of course, which we can maybe get to later.

Wow, I look forward to the discussion. I could go through this album song by song, I think.

("Crooked wooden peacock black," for instance, sounds awesome, especially with DEE's voice, but no one relates to it inasmuch as we fear whatever the concept is our minds have made from those words.)

Very good point. Funny you should mention this line. I've been listening to Folklore a lot lately, and I shared the lyrics from "Hutterite Mile" with a friend. One of the first things she wanted to know was what this line meant. Heh.

Edited by Diane

Well, you folks can consider me the latest addition to the Woven Hand fanclub. My copy arrived in the mail today, and I'm overcome with joy upon discovering such an awesome talent.

Man... you people have great taste. You cost me a fortune, but you have great taste.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Josh... forgive my feeble memory... but you DO have some of 16 Horsepower's stuff, right?

I have Secret South. Never heard any of the others-- mostly just because I've never been able to find any in local music stores or libraries.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Never heard any of the others-- mostly just because I've never been able to find any in local music stores or libraries.

Which is a total shame, isn't it? I grabbed all of mine off of Amazon; you can get some good deals on used copies of the older albums there, too. Josh, you've got a real treat ahead of you if you choose to explore more albums. You just can't go wrong with 16HP or WH. Start saving your $$$; these albums are worth every penny. smile.gif

By the way, if anyone's reading this who hasn't yet heard anything by WH, you can go to the WH page at Sounds Familyre, where you can hear a song from each WH album. An additional song from the latest album can be found at Glitterhouse's site, along with an old version of 16HP's "American Wheeze."

Heh, obviously, I'm just going to keep on beating this drum. smile.gif

Edited by Diane

ATTENTION: WOVEN HAND VIDEO from CORNERSTONE 2005

This just 'came across my desk' and I thought I'd let everyone know as quickly as I could that the video existed. Looks like it was a great performance!!!

See the video here: Woven Hand @ Cornerstone video snippet

It's short and sweet but well worth the gander.

-Benjamin Andrew

(I've also posted a link elsewhere to an Over The Rhine snippet, too!)

This is a reply to this message. Since that thread is now locked I thought I would reply here. I hope that is okay with TPTB.

I just picked this soundtrack up from iTMS. It's completely awesome. I've been a huge 16 Horsepower/Edwards fan for years, but had a hard time finding other music that scratched similar itches. This soundtrack has a bunch of good stuff in their vein.

You may also want to check out the latest Bloodshot Records compilation For A Decade Of Sin. I've only listened to the first couple of tracks so far but it is in the same vein as the Searching For The Wrong-Eyed Jesus soundtrack. This compilation includes a track from 16 Horsepower titled De-Railed. The release date for this 2-disc set is October 25.

And that live version of "Black Soul Choir" is just awesome. Are they still talking about putting out a live DVD?

Yes, a 16 Horsepower live DVD is in the works. The band doesn't like details to be announced until they are pretty much set in stone so that's all I can say about it for now.

Low Estate, and then Sackcloth'n'Ashes.

Agreed. Or you can go vise-versa if you want to hear their progression in sound. I love both albums, but I give the edge to Low Estate, for the record.

By the way, Josh, if you like the sound and style of Sackcloth 'n' Ashes, try to track down a copy of 16 Horsepower's self-titled debut EP. There are some real gems on there.

Hit the thriftstore this weekend, and whaddaya know... there was a copy of Sackcloth 'n' Ashes, for a mere 6 bucks.

I've only had time to listen to it once so far, but my first impression is that it's even stranger and more idiosyncratic than Secret South, if not quite as intense. And while its highs are surely not as high as those on Secret South, I do wonder if this one may actually be more consistent.

...but that's just my initial evaluation. Who knows what I'll think after I really have time to sit down and digest it, without any distractions.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Wow, thanks for the update, hcmyers! I'm looking forward to hearing more. smile.gif Speaking as someone who never got to see 16HP in concert, I'd really love to get my hands on this.

excl.gif I think we can all give a round of applause to stef for showing me 16HP and Woven Hand. (And This forum). Once I heard 16HP for the first time it was like nothing i have ever heard before. I cant wait for Cornerstone 2006 to see him. blink.gif

-The new kid on the block...

Nick! So good to see you buddy! Go to the Introductions thread and introduce yourself! Hey EVERYBODY, it's my buddy Nick!

-s.

PS Rich is going to be upset with you for stealing his avatar... We'll find something cooler for you soon...

Nick!  So good to see you buddy!  Go to the Introductions thread and introduce yourself!  Hey EVERYBODY, it's my buddy Nick!

-s.

PS Rich is going to be upset with you for stealing his avatar... We'll find something cooler for you soon...

And for the record, everyone, no, it's not Nick Cave, although he's a buddy, too, he just doesn't know it yet.

-s.

More info about the 16HP Live DVD

A U.S. release for the DVD has not yet been determined but I am told that the Glitterhouse version is region-free so if you are in the U.S. and you want it now you can get it here.

Also, 16HP's 2001 live album Hoarse will be reissued by Alternative Tentacles in the U.S. on Jan 11, 2006. The last remaining copies of the original U.S. release of Hoarse by (the now defunct label) Checkered Past are available at Paste Music.

More info about the 16HP Live DVD

A U.S. release for the DVD has not yet been determined but I am told that the Glitterhouse version is region-free so if you are in the U.S. and you want it now you can get it here.

Also, 16HP's 2001 live album Hoarse will be reissued by Alternative Tentacles in the U.S. on Jan 11, 2006.  The last remaining copies of the original U.S. release of Hoarse by (the now defunct label) Checkered Past are available at Paste Music.

I know what I want for Christmas smile.gif Thanks for keeping us up-to-date!

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter