Sign in to follow this  
Diane

The Amazing Race 6

If we're lucky, all the play J&V are getting now means they'll be gone soon. Last time around Charla and Mirna and the pizza-making brothers got a lot of the "obnoxious" air time, before Colin's bad-boy behavior took center stage. So maybe we're being set up to really really hate Jonathan, and when he's eliminated in a week or two, we'll all rejoice? (I can dream ...)

Then we'll find out that one of the model couples has a really dark, ugly side!

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Well, THAT was a heartbreaking episode.

Man, I hated seeing Kristy and Lena go, especially after poor Lena spent 8 HOURS digging through that hay. I can't believe that. And then Phil had to actually come and tell them it was over (at least Lena was still working, unlike the pizza brothers who just gave up last season). Again, one of my favorite teams gets Philiminated early. And the commercials made it look like the Roadblock of Doom would be for Jonathon and Victoria (actually, Jonathon handled his behavior during this task better than I thought he would

Yup on all counts, Diane. The build vs. count challenge seemed so obvious to me ... even if you're not a great builder, you've got a set of directions and a methodical approach, whereas counting takes a lot more concentration and memory. When it came down to the last three teams unrolling hay bales, I thought, aw crap, none of these are teams I want to see eliminated ('tho the wrestlers's schtick has gotten old already).

Very sad to see the sisters gone ... my wife and I commented that all the least obnoxious teams are getting bounced, and soon all that will be left are models, actors and playmates!

Gus and Hera have pulled it out of the fire a couple of times, which is nice to see. As Tim mentioned earlier, though, this guy was CIA?? And he couldn't figure out that when ALL the other teams were running in one direction to find the ice bar, it probably wasn't a great idea to keep going in the other direction until you're lost beyond hope?? Kind of sheds some light on the U.S.'s intelligence problems. tongue.gif

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

I would have counted. If you approach it methodically (i.e. counting in tens or hundreds) it wouldn't have been that bad. I think the big mistake the Racers made was having both partners count the items together, and that leads to errors. Have one person count, the other write it down, then add up the hundreds.

It's roughly how I count my spare change. smile.gif

I really, really felt for Lena. That would be my kind of luck. The poor girl must have been so sore afterwards.

I'm beginning to like Bolo.

Gus and Hera have pulled it out of the fire a couple of times, which is nice to see. As Tim mentioned earlier, though, this guy was CIA?? And he couldn't figure out that when ALL the other teams were running in one direction to find the ice bar, it probably wasn't a great idea to keep going in the other direction until you're lost beyond hope?? Kind of sheds some light on the U.S.'s intelligence problems.  tongue.gif

Does anyone know what Gus did for the CIA though? Maybe he just had a desk job.

Subtlety is underrated

Yes, yes, and yes. It's all been said, but I'll agree, then repeat. laugh.gif

No doubt, Lena must have overlooked the clue(s) -- she looked in 100 bales! It didn't appear that any other team did more than a few before finding a clue. Tough break, and sorry to see them go.

Shocked that Gus and Hera are still around -- they did pretty well this time, but they always seem to be behind. Fortunately, Gus knows IKEA furniture! And --YES! who would count instead of building? But it was hilarious when Don asked the IKEA staffer to give it to him if he just said the number... and started counting! "I'm 40-years older than the rest of them..."

Jonathon was a little better behaved, although his threatened backhand in the taxi drew a wince that fairly shouted 'this happens often'. I feel sorry for Victoria. And how about when they head to the ice bar: she says I've heard of it, and he tells her, No, you haven't. She explains that, yes, she has a Swedish friend... and he basically calls her a liar. Sheesh!

Kris and Jon are very strong, and they have the inside track at this point, IMHO.

Edited by Tim Willson

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

No doubt, Lena must have overlooked the clue(s) -- she looked in 100 bales! It didn't appear that any other team did more than a few before finding a clue. Tough break, and sorry to see them go.

It seemed to me that most teams found the clue after they had completely unrolled the bail. Lena seemed to take a lot of time actually sifting through the hay as she unrolled the bail little by little. I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been. If any clues were overlooked, they were missed by the cameramen, too. I feel certain the crew would have shown us, as they did last week when another team lost a clue and had to go back for another.

But it was hilarious when Don asked the IKEA staffer to give it to him if he just said the number... and started counting! "I'm 40-years older than the rest of them..."

Now THAT really was something.

Jonathon was a little better behaved, although his threatened backhand in the taxi drew a wince that fairly shouted 'this happens often'. I feel sorry for Victoria. And how about when they head to the ice bar: she says I've heard of it, and he tells her, No, you haven't. She explains that, yes, she has a Swedish friend... and he basically calls her a liar. Sheesh!

Don't forget, Tim: To paraphrase Victoria, she said she loves him, volatile temper and all, because life's never boring with him.

eek.gifpinch.gifsad.gif

Was that really a threatened backhand, or was he trying to keep her from grabbing something away from him?

Was that really a threatened backhand, or was he trying to keep her from grabbing something away from him?

It looked to me like he was pulling his arm away from her.

BUT, the fact that she flinched sent chills down my spine. He may not have intended anything that time, but something has happened to her before, otherwise her reaction wouldn't have been so immediate.

I'm just glad there was less of them this time. I still wish there were some repercussions for verbal abuse (especially towards someone on another team), but I suppose I'm expecting too much.

Edited by Ann D.

Subtlety is underrated

BUT, the fact that she flinched sent chills down my spine.

True. Pretty scary.

I'm just glad there was less of them this time.  I still wish there were some repercussions for verbal abuse (especially towards someone on another team), but I suppose I'm expecting too much.

Mad props to whoever that was who screamed "NO YELLING!" at Jonathon during the Ikea detour.

Also: Where oh where is crimsonline these days??

I'm just glad there was less of them this time.  I still wish there were some repercussions for verbal abuse (especially towards someone on another team), but I suppose I'm expecting too much.

I'm thinking that some of the other teams might start ganging up on Jonathan to help his team fall behind, just because they're tired of dealing with him.

And I thought it was a pretty classless move of Jonathan to order Victoria into the filed to unroll the bales of hay instead of going out there himself. But, no big surprise there.

I saw that move about 5 times, as it was part of the promo for this week's episode, and I can't know his intention for sure, it definitely looked like a back-hand in the making: his movement away gave him room to swing.

They seem to have accepted patterns of abuse in their relationship, like this snippet that seemed to have a well-rehearsed feel:

J: You owe me an apology!

V: I'm sorry.

J: You owe me a BIG apology!

V: I'm really sorry.

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Also: Where oh where is crimsonline these days??

Funny you should ask. Today is my first time reading A&F since coming back from India. Going abroad really set me back in my schoolwork, and this week is the last week of classes, then comes exams. I'm BURIED.

This morning, my son is sick, so we'll not be going to church. So, I have a little time to do some non-school reading (that's how I'm justifying it to myself, anyway smile.gif)

Of course, we ARE watching TAR, no matter how busy things get. Jonathon is a class-A moron, jerk, and creep. I agree with what y'all have said about casting. There is a lot of serious wrong going on in that relationship.

And "Hellboy" is so insecure and childish that I am sad for his partner. Not a lot of hateful people this time 'round, though.

I like Hayden and her partner (?) and the couple who came in first last round. I like the other models, too. I like Gus and Hera, though it wasn't till last episode that I thought they did anything worth justifying their presence on the Race. Don and MJ are bugging me a bit. Lori and Bolo are fun, but the bickering gets to me. I liked the Mormon chicks, I was sad to see them go.

I was glad to see the Queens go - they had no skills, and seemed woefully unprepared for the Race.

Anyway, we are enjoying the Race. But the rat race is keeping me from being involved here, for the time being. Thanks for asking!

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Scariest thing I've heard all year... *

"Jonathon badly wants kids, and I think he'd make a really great father" - Victoria

*... of course, the show still has another half hour to go.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Scariest thing I've heard all year... *

"Jonathon badly wants kids, and I think he'd make a really great father" - Victoria

*... of course, the show still has another half hour to go.

Yup, I think I did a spit take on that line. Can you see Jonathon at the first meeting with his kid's preschool teacher: "Will you shaddup and lemme tawk?"

Best line I've heard yet:

Rebecca to Adam: "I'm tired of babysitting my girlfriend." Ouch!

I'm finding this time around there's not one team I really like and want to root for, but instead I like a lot of individual players and wish they could dump their partners; particularly during the salt harvesting event, I wished Freddy and Rebecca could have dumped their respective whiners and teamed up together.

So far Kris and Jon seem decent, though I'm sure there's some dark side lurking ... also, I hate to see all these models/actors in the race this time around, and wish I could root for one of the underdog teams like Chip & Kim last time. But the underdogs in this race haven't really demonstrated they know what they're doing, and I'm not sure I want to root for a team just because they're less obnoxious than some others!

I feel pretty much the same way about the teams, Mark. I still like Don and MJ (whew!) and Hera and Gus. But really? With all the bad decisions they make, it just seems like a matter of time before they go. I really don't have a feel for the personalities of any of the teams who consistently seem to finish in the top three spots.

And please forgive me for being so mean, but fashion police? I'd like to report Jonathon and his fuzzy blue hat with the black stars and moons or whatever the heck that was on it (and he seemed to have matching pants, too!). Okay, I totally want to know what kind of "entrepreneur" he is. Because those clothes aren't screaming "successful businessman" to me.

[/snark]

It seemed like the producers of the show were trying to soften Jonathan's image this week by including that shot of him with the children. I wonder if they were concerned that his obnoxious behavior was starting to turn viewers away.

I thought the culture shock was interesting to see, of the teams experiencing third world culture firsthand. There was one poignant comment by someone from one of the teams (I can't remember which one) commenting on the how the African people lived in such poverty, yet the women's clothing was so colorful, and the children were playful. I wish I could remember exactly what she said.

I really don't have a feel for the personalities of any of the teams who consistently seem to finish in the top three spots.

[/snark]

Exactly. They all seem like interchangeables from the Aspiring Actors & Models assembly line!

Okay, this got lost once. I'll try to write it again, but better smile.gif

My rundown of the teams still in the hunt:

TEAMS I LIKE:

Kris and Jon have Raced well consistently, have treated each other and their fellow contestants with respect, and have shown many cool virtues along the way. In last night's leg, Kris reflected on an experience as "humbling" - a word rarely in any reality show contestant's vocabulary. They made a bad mistake last night (along with three other teams) but instead of bickering just went: "wow, we blew it. We were stupid, we deserved it. Let's go." And they battled back to first place. I want these guys to win.

I sort of like Hayden and Aaron, though they have largely ridden K&J's coattails, and Hayden can be shrill. But they have largely Raced well, and staying in a good team's draft is not illegal or immoral. It can be good Racing strategy. Nothing about their abilities or personalities stand out to me, though.

TEAMS I CAN TOLERATE:

I enjoy watching Lori and Bolo, for the most part. They can bicker overmuch, but they seem to be toning that down as of late, perhaps because of watching how awful it looks when others do it. They have used their physical abilities and (limited) mental powers to do very well so far.

Gus and Hera are nice people, but until last leg, they had done nothing worthy of staying in the Race. At the Ikea, though, they worked effectively and pulled ahead of a lot of other teams, and have done a few solid things in this past leg, too. They have NO chance of winning the Race, though, and will wind up in big trouble if Gus doesn't start doing some more of the Detours - he'll be stuck doing some things later that will kill him. Oh -and KEEP YOUR SHIRT ON, GUS!!

Freddy and Kendra - meh. Haven't seen enough of them to like them or hate them. They are just kind of there, Racing away.

Don and MJ are at the bottom of this pack for one simple reason: they have COASTED the entire Race so far on luck. They have used NO skill and shown neither patience nor endurance, which combined with luck are the basic elements that make for a good Racer. I have yet to see them do anything worthy of being on the Race, except for being old and surviving so far. They are here now - make no mistake - because other people screwed up, and for no other reason.

TEAMS THAT MUST GO - NOW:

Adam and Rebecca are annoying as all get out. He's a wimpy crybaby (how in the world is he a Personal Trainer) and she's a Harridan. The only reason they are not at the bottom of my heap is:

Jonathan and Victoria are SO awful. I agree with Ann D (mpfan!) and with TWOP's recapper, Miss Ali, that Jonathan smacks of being an abuser, which in my book means he should never have been cast on this show. I don't care how weird he is, he's not entertaining, because he is cruel. Real-life cruelty is never entertaining. Victoria might have been tolerable in any other pairing (though it's hard to tell. Even the dimmest light shines bright in total darkness) but she cannot even come close to outweighing the human horror that is her husband.

Whew! What a Christian response! smile.gif

In any event, last night's leg was great, and really reminded me of my time in India. There's nothing like a third-world country to turn you upside down. That's another reason I like Kris and Jon, BTW. Did you notice how much they enjoyed themselves last night, even in the midst of the squallor of Dakar? They seem to be loving the cultures they come in contact with. I like that about them - no other team seems to be doing that. On CBS.com, there is an Insider video of them in the cab that really underlines this. I think they're cool.

Edited by crimsonline

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Okay, I totally want to know what kind of "entrepreneur" he (Jonathan) is. Because those clothes aren't screaming "successful businessman" to me.

Speculation is that they make porn. Victoria is apparently a former Playmate...

I really don't have a feel for the personalities of any of the teams who consistently seem to finish in the top three spots.

[/snark]

Exactly. They all seem like interchangeables from the Aspiring Actors & Models assembly line!

I'll agree, except for Kris and Jon - as I argued in my above post.

I was just commiserating about this with another board member via PM, thinking the board was still offline. Lo and behold, I discover it's back up and that this very thing has been under discussion for the past few hours.

Let

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

All said already, and well-put.

I have to add, though -- what an eyeball-rolling moment when Adam asked Rebecca if she wanted him to jump out of the boat. Second time he's played that kind of self-pitying card, and good for her for saying 'yes'.

And, Jonathon WAS nicer last night. His ugly side was showing before, but maybe there is a human being in there after all.

Jon and Kris all the way for me.

Good assessments, crimsonline. I mostly agree, especially with the parts about Hera/Gus (shirt ... must... stay ... on) and Don/MJ. The latter duo seems to be using their age the way (what was her name? Mirna? Charla?) used her size last time. But hey, if I'm in AR when I'm sixty-something, then more power to me, too, I guess.

For some reason I've taken an irrational dislike to Hayden/Aaron, maybe because she strikes me as a diva, and he (watch out, my latent male chauvinism is about to be exposed) seems like a lovestruck wuss letting her make all the decisions.

Freddy/Kendra - he doesn't bother me, in fact I think in an earlier episode it was Freddy who gained my undying devotion by snapping at Jonathon to "get your own damn bag" after they'd all been rowing the boat together, and J made a couple of the women cry. Kendra, though, is falling into the "Flo" category from season 3 ... losing steam early and whining loud enough for everyone to hear.

Adam/Rebecca - Now she doesn't bother me, so I wouldn't necessarily agree that she's a harridan ... after all, he keeps lapping after her like a totally insecure, well, girly-boy. I must say I'd act like a shrew in that situation, too (if I were a girl with an annoying girly-boy boyfriend, that is). I agree with Tim that her comment "yeah, that would be awesome" when Adam asked if he should jump overboard was great.

Kris and Jon - Did anyone notice that Kris made the sign of the cross in an early episode (possibly the premiere)? And one of them made reference to God or prayer in another episode. I guess they're not "Christian" enough to warrant the "Christian couple" label (probably because he points out how hot she looks when harvesting salt).

At this point the game might get REALLY interesting if they did a Survivor style swap-fest, wherein team members have to choose backpacks randomly, and whose-ever they end up with is their new partner.

Kris and Jon have Raced well consistently, have treated each other and their fellow contestants with respect, and have shown many cool virtues along the way. In last night's leg, Kris reflected on an experience as "humbling" - a word rarely in any reality show contestant's vocabulary. They made a bad mistake last night (along with three other teams) but instead of bickering just went: "wow, we blew it. We were stupid, we deserved it. Let's go." And they battled back to first place. I want these guys to win.

I add my vote for Kris and Jon as well.

I enjoy watching Lori and Bolo, for the most part. They can bicker overmuch, but they seem to be toning that down as of late, perhaps because of watching how awful it looks when others do it. They have used their physical abilities and (limited) mental powers to do very well so far.

Heh. This made me chuckle. I like Lori and Bolo--Bolo especially--because I'm around people like them. They're dumb rednecks, and I use that term affectionately. I hope they go far.

Don and MJ are at the bottom of this pack for one simple reason: they have COASTED the entire Race so far on luck. They have used NO skill and shown neither patience nor endurance, which combined with luck are the basic elements that make for a good Racer. I have yet to see them do anything worthy of being on the Race, except for being old and surviving so far. They are here now - make no mistake - because other people screwed up, and for no other reason.

They got lucky, that's for sure. I knew it was a non-elim the moment Phil said "may" be eliminated, but I imagine either they or Gus/Hera will be eliminated next.

Adam and Rebecca are annoying as all get out. He's a wimpy crybaby (how in the world is he a Personal Trainer) and she's a Harridan.

I agree that Adam is a baby that REALLY needs to grow up, but Rebecca is just...I don't know. She orders him around like she is his mom, but then complains when he acts like a child. I don't get it. She then belittles him in front of others by calling him "wuss" and "you're letting a girl beat you!" At that time the "girl" that was beating him was Lori, who was whupping everyone's hiney on that task! Though I also give Kris huge props for her effort.

I do have to admit I chuckled at Rebecca's response to Adam's stupid threat.

So far, I'm pulling for either Kris/Jon or Lori/Bolo.

Edited by Ann D.

Subtlety is underrated

Good assessments, crimsonline. I mostly agree...

Then you're mostly right! wink.gif

Adam/Rebecca - Now she doesn't bother me, so I wouldn't necessarily agree that she's a harridan ... after all, he keeps lapping after her like a totally insecure, well, girly-boy. I must say I'd act like a shrew in that situation, too (if I were a girl with an annoying girly-boy boyfriend, that is). I agree with Tim that her comment "yeah, that would be awesome" when Adam asked if he should jump overboard was great.

Well, "harridan" might be a bit strong -- okay, WAY TOO strong -- but she IS annoying me.

Kris and Jon - Did anyone notice that Kris made the sign of the cross in an early episode (possibly the premiere)? And one of them made reference to God or prayer in another episode. I guess they're not "Christian" enough to warrant the "Christian couple" label (probably because he points out how hot she looks when harvesting salt).

He was only speaking the truth! smile.gif Actually, Kris is listed in her bio on the CBS.COM website as being a "former go-go dancer" - I don't know, maybe she's converted since then, and maybe I'm unduly prejudiced, but I'd be surprised if they were Christians in the Evangelical sense.

I like Lori and Bolo--Bolo especially--because I'm around people like them.  They're dumb rednecks, and I use that term affectionately.  I hope they go far.

smile.gif Yep.

I knew it was a non-elim the moment Phil said "may" be eliminated, but I imagine either they or Gus/Hera will be eliminated next.

Actually, last Race and this one, Phil has been saying "may" every episode. I'm glad, since that give-away was spoiling some of the tension for me in the past.

BTW, this is the first time I've used the multiple quotes feature. It's keen!

I knew it was a non-elim the moment Phil said "may" be eliminated, but I imagine either they or Gus/Hera will be eliminated next.

Actually, last Race and this one, Phil has been saying "may" every episode. I'm glad, since that give-away was spoiling some of the tension for me in the past.

BTW, this is the first time I've used the multiple quotes feature. It's keen!

That's right, come to think of it. Maybe it was the way Phil said it, but I just had the sense that this time was a non-elim. Perhaps there was some subtle clue in his tone or something that tipped me off, I don't know.

Of course, next time that happens I'll probably call it wrong. wink.gif

Subtlety is underrated