The Amazing Race 6

Diane

crimsononline: Actually, to give (dis-)credit where it is due, that gem of a line was spoken by Kendra.

Thanks -- I really want to keep my villains straight!

Rebecca's prize-winning quote was, after looking at the slaveholding center, "No wonder they escaped from here!"

Thank you for mentioning that one -- left me speechless.

I don't think there is any reason to be embarrassed that we love this show because one of the racers is acting so badly. In fact, the producers did an outstanding job providing the context for all of his bad behavior.

This is why I believe it is all being set up for a solid rebuke in the future.

Isn't it nice to be able to have such confidence in the producers? They have given us reason to believe, and I hope that trust is not misplaced.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another touching moment on the mat (and in interview later), as Don praised MJ:

"If every man had a wife like Mary Jean, he would be truly blessed."

If the other men in the race made similar comments, they might go like this:

Gus: If every man had a daughter like Hera, there would be fewer lushes in the world.

Bolo: If every man had a wife like Lori, more men could go out in public wearing silly hats.

Freddy: / Jon / Aaron: If every man had a girlfriend like Kris / Kendra / Hayden, there would be more pretty couples in the world.

Adam: If every man had an ex-girlfriend like Rebecca, there would be fewer girly-men.

Jonathon: If every woman had a husband like me, the birth rate would plummet.

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

I don't think I can join the letter-writing campaign, and I'm not going to boycott the show over Jonathan's troubling behavior. I have faith that Victoria -- not the AR producers, the network, or the viewing audience -- is going to put a stop to Jonathan's behavior.

The reason I will is because I honestly think the producers believe this is good television, and I DON'T want to see worse things on TV as a result of this. I don't have the faith in them that crimsonline does. I hope I'm wrong and he's right, and the show is setting Jonathan up. If I am, I'll happily eat crow.

I'm not boycotting the show. I've thought it over with a clear head and decided that's not the direction I want to take. I just simply cannot watch a person verbally and physically abuse another person. When Jonathan is gone, then I'll start watching again. Hopefully it's soon.

Mark, I thought his last name was Baker? Or is that one of the other teams?

Subtlety is underrated

Another touching moment on the mat (and in interview later), as Don praised MJ:

"If every man had a wife like Mary Jean, he would be truly blessed."

If the other men in the race made similar comments, they might go like this:

Gus: If every man had a daughter like Hera, there would be fewer lushes in the world.

Bolo: If every man had a wife like Lori, more men could go out in public wearing silly hats.

Freddy: / Jon / Aaron: If every man had a girlfriend like Kris / Kendra / Hayden, there would be more pretty couples in the world.

Adam: If every man had an ex-girlfriend like Rebecca, there would be fewer girly-men.

Jonathon: If every woman had a husband like me, the birth rate would plummet.

Searching for emoticon of smiley guy rolling around on floor laughing, and not finding it, so settling for ... laugh.gif

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Mark, I thought his last name was Baker? Or is that one of the other teams?

Good catch, Ann. His wife's name is Fuller, his is Baker. Wouldn't he be peeved if we all referred to him as MR. FULLER!!!

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Well, I turned to my wife halfway through this last episode and mistakenly said that it looks like the producers talked to Jonathan and told him to cut out the abuse...

Boyoboy was I wrong, huh?

Anyway, I just visited their website, and the blog has this single entry for today:

"If you're going to lead, lead. If you're going to follow, follow. Anything else get the f*** out of my way. We are playing a GAME for One Million Dollars."

However, there is a poll question: In a million dollar race, is it ok to win at any cost?

"No" is currently winning at 97.1% with 538 votes (and climbing).

Wait, I think that poll just came down, and was replaced with the question: Its a TV Show? and the options being yes/no/who cares. I guess they didn't like the results of the other question.

Anyway...

My thought is that the producers did not expect JB's behaviour, and did not have a plan to deal with it. I don't excuse what is going on, but they are caught off guard by this mongrel and it shows. We'll see if what is being presented is actually a set-up for whatever disciplinary actions they decided or if it isn't.

However, there is a poll question:
Edited by crimsonline
In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

He probably figured none of his fans know how to write.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

He probably figured none of his fans know how to write.

His fans don't get to see the show very often, their at court ordered anger management therapy.

One think about last night's show that is overshadowed by all this is how unchallenging it was. Beer or brot was pretty much a toss up (I'd have picked beer for the same reason as Gus), and the soapbox racer seemed a gimme. Toughest thing seemed to be finding one's way around Berlin.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Except that Jonathan explicitly said it was a LOAN.

Okay, so tonight my hope is that we see Jonathan punished for his misdeeds. Please, may it be so!

USA Today story on fan reaction to Jonathan:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...zing-race_x.htm

Interesting -- thanks for the link.

USA Today quotes Jonathon's blog:

I do not abuse Victoria, what you see is a heightened version of stress and obsession mix with medication for a sickness called sarcoidosis," an inflammation of the organ tissues. He admits he "set out to be the villain" but "not to Victoria."

He adds: "I am deeply saddened by the story line that CBS went with. I am sorry for my actions, I am sorry to Victoria. Most of all I am sorry to the fans."

And then USA Today quotes producer Bertram Van Munster: "That was the beginning, the middle and the end of it. The guy is actually a nice guy."

So, I guess we're all okay with it then. wacko.gif

That's an apology? He is blaming medicine and CBS. I don't see anywhere where he is actually claiming responsibility for his actions.

If he's not an abuser, then that's great! But he can't wash away the stain of his actions by saying it was "medication" and "editing".

Edit...

Somehow I skipped over the last paragraph--there's a little more responsibility there. But it still sits wrong with me, somehow.

Subtlety is underrated

Hmmm.

Phil's video diary deals with the scrap between Jonathon and Victoria, but to hear him talk about it I wouldn't expect any censure.

("...this is a guy who is focussed on winning...")

(May have to go to http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race6/index.shtml to view this... not sure if you can play directly from the above link.)

So, no rebuke last night. Just Jonathan acting like a jerk.

More Kris and Jon being kind to one another in tough situations. More Hayden panicking. More wrestlers being endearingly dumb. More Kendra being a princess.

I was psyched that the Race went to Hungary! I'm Hungarian (on my Mom's side) and it was pretty exciting to see the place. My Mom was riveted.

And some weirdness - what was it with the ending? I have never seen a TAR episode end with a "To be continued..."

And some weirdness - what was it with the ending? I have never seen a TAR episode end with a "To be continued..."

I felt cheated and abused by the ending. Heart racing, hoping, hoping it's a non-elimination round or that Lori & Bolo would make up lost time at the 'net cafe ... then, "To Be Continued." What's up with that?

Other observations:

My new hero: The Hungarian cab driver who said "finito" to Jonathan's abuse and kicked him out of the car. Can't he be Victoria's new partner? Please?

Runner-up: Gus, for his "little bastard" and "pain in the a--" comments about J. You go, boy!

Third place: Aaron, for finally growing some spine and telling Hayden she was acting "psychotic." You go, too, boy!

Anyone else worried about Kris & Jon? They were dominant in the early legs, but seem to keep falling behind lately. And still, they're decent and loving toward each other. Gosh, this AR will suck if they get eliminated.

What's with Freddy's tantrum next week? Aside from having to deal with Kendra, apparently the pressure's getting to him. Originally I thought he got yielded by another team, but on CBS's website the promo for next week says we weren't shown something involving one team's lost clue. Another team found the clue and either hid or discarded it. Neither team is identified, but I'm guessing Freddy/Kendra lost a clue, figured out someone discarded it, then Freddy really loses it and threatens to "break someone in half." (I hope for his sake it's not Bolo!)

Last night's episode was quite odd, finishing up with all the teams sitting outside a coffee shop that didn't open until 10:00 PM, except Lori and Bolo, who couldn't get a train and would up sleeping on a park bench in whatever town they were stranded in. So what happens when the shop opens up, is it going to be a mad dash toward the finish line, or whatever the next clue is? It's odd that they put a bottleneck like this so late in the leg of the race, since it nullifies any advantage the earlier teams had accumulated up to that point. Unless this is a leg that takes two days. But, the ending of this particular show was really a let down, since it just stopped. Has this ever happened before? huh.gif

Also, I can't imagine anyone must be getting much sleep, since each leg begins in the middle of the night, like 2 or 3 or 4 AM. I imagine the lack of sleep contributes to people getting testy with each other. Maybe a night without sleep could account for the sniping that was previewed for next week's show.

The cab driver who walked out on Jonathan deserves some kind of award. thumbsupup.gif

I hope there's a Yield coming up soon. I wonder which team is going to get yielded, especially by Gus, I wonder. Hmmm. wink.gif

Reading the recap at CBS.com, I think this was a good week to miss an episode -- which I did, while away at my in-laws'. The situation looks gloomy for Lori and Bolo, but a lot can happen in an hour's time on TAR.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I felt cheated and abused by the ending. Heart racing, hoping, hoping it's a non-elimination round or that Lori & Bolo would make up lost time at the 'net cafe ... then, "To Be Continued." What's up with that?

Yep. Didn't like the ending, though I didn't want to see Lori and Bolo Philiminated. Caught a promo for this week's show, which promised a special episode with "never before seen footage." Huh?! So this is a recap show or something? Bummer. Hope I'm wrong....

Yup, tomorrow night’s episode is a re-cap. Having missed last week’s episode, and because I have nothing more pressing to do, I’ll watch it. Plus, our friend who joins us to watch TAR has missed the past few episodes, so he has even more catching up to do.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Two quick things about the re-cap episode... okay 3.

1. Hardly anything new -- a bit of a waste of time. I was particularly disappointed that there was nothing new on the 8-hour hay bale marathon, for example, and they didn't even SHOW the Jonathon shove!

2. Jonathon thought he was in a country called "Synagogue"? I'm sure I heard him twice make a comment about 'the president of Synagogue'...

3. I think I finally figured out one reason why I have only ever seen cameramen twice in this series -- amazing, since there are cameras everywhere. Last night I was pretty sure I saw a blurred out section in a car window as it went by -- the front passenger seat, where a cameraman would be sitting. I bet they do that often, but I've never noticed that the cameras are taken out of the shots in post-production.

BTW, Jon and Kris all the way -- they came off even better last night than they do from week to week.