Sign in to follow this  
Guest Russell Lucas

Upcoming and Recent DVD Releases

Guest Russell Lucas

Below we'll list upcoming DVD releases. Early on, this will be a work in progress. Please suggest any additions you'd like to see.

Recent Releases

About Schmidt (New Line, Region 1)

The Pianist

My Night at Maud's (Wellspring, Region 1)

(aside: Maud's is listed as being rereleased on the 10th of June. I assume this disc is the same as the one already in release, but would welcome clarification)

Hell House (Plexifilm, Region 1) (Lucas comments: Great disc, can be bought cheaply)

Punch-Drunk Love (Columbia, Region 1) (Lucas comments: Nice package, extras are limited but not of the fluff variety. A Mattress Man commercial drops some levity into the package.)

July 1, 2003

Wings of Desire (Region 1)

July 29, 2003

Solaris (2002)

August 19, 2003

The Ingmar Bergman Trilogy: Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence (Criterion, Region 1)

The Decalogue (Rerelease- Facets, Region 1)

Day of the Dead Special Edition (Anchor Bay)

August 26, 2003

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (New Line, Region 1)

September 9, 2003

Russian Ark

November 4, 2003

The Indiana Jones Trilogy (Paramount, Region 1)

Guest Russell Lucas

I'd welcome additional comments to any of the above releases.

Alan, I just now saw your post at the other board regarding early acquisition of the rereleased Decalogue. Can you compare the transfer quality of the two releases? Super-mega-bonus points for before and after screenshots.

Guest Russell Lucas

I did not even know that Ebert was commentary-ing on this. That's a pleasant surprise.

I did not even know that Ebert was commentary-ing on this.  That's a pleasant surprise.

I like your new word: commentary-ing!

I read an interesting distinction the other day between film critics and film reviewers, i.e., that reviewers focus on details like camera work, performances, plot and so on, while critics focus more on philosophy and theory. I don't know whether Ebert is a reviewer or a critic, but I generally agree with his take on film; I look forward to his commentary-ing on the Decalogue.

It does seem to be something of a conflict of interest for a reviewer/critic to earn money from the projects they analyze. Not that Ebert and Roeper could be confused with Dan Rather, Peter Jennings or Geraldo Rivera...

Guest Russell Lucas

I'm a big fan of non-filmmaker commentaries. They add some unique points of view to a project.

For example, the recent Black Hawk Down SE has three commentaries-- one with Bruckheimer and Ridley Scott, one with Mark Bowden (the book's writer) and one with four of the soldiers whose actions are depicted in the film.