Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

Television: When did SNL stop being funny?

Anymore, they aren't even the best female players. I believe that Ana Gestayer and Nora Dunn raised the bar and my expectations for women on that show. Particularly AG.

Anymore, they aren't even the best female players. I believe that Ana Gestayer and Nora Dunn raised the bar and my expectations for women on that show. Particularly AG.

But Nora Dunn? Enlighten me. She had condescending obliviousness down pat, but what else was she good at? Dunn was on during my favorite years of SNL, but I don't think of her as one of the cast highlights.

She had a Phil Hartman-like quality of doing "scenery" and key bit characters well. As one of the "Elevator Sisters", I thought that she had a solid and enjoyable continuing character. The Elevator Sisters were one of the rare continuing bits that never went two or three times the block of time needed to score laughs and get the point across (that era was probably the best at being concise of all eras, come to think of it). Her characters for the ages were the co-host of the "Schwetty Balls" bit and as Babette, French Spokes-kitten explaining Paris' refusal of flyover rights to bomb Lybia.