Sign in to follow this  
SZPT

Who wants to market themselves as a "Christian Filmmake

I was going to ask who wants to be known as a "Christian Filmmaker," to which my own response would be "not me." But that would seem hypocritical considering I am a Christian and that I am a filmmaker discussing this very issue (and in a Christian filmmaker's forum no less).

So I thought about it and came up with a better way to ask my question. Is there any more clarification needed on my part? :twitch2:

My answer is still, "not me."

My reasoning is that I believe the Film industry looks at "Christian Films" and thus, "Christian filmmakers" as 2nd-class citizens and they will never give them a chance in the big leagues.

Some "Christian Filmmakers" are OK with this. Some Christians who are filmmakers feel trapped by the perception. Some Christians feel like the have to hide their love away (to paraphrase the Beatles).

I know that I have scare quotes aplenty around "Christian Film/makers." I'm simply referring to those films that have been marketed as such. Whether they portray the Gospel, or display Christian thinking/theology is very much up for debate (i.e. The Omega Code, Megiddo, Carman's The Champion, even A Walk to Remember and the upcoming The Passion).

Much more can be said (and hopefully will be), so I'll stop here.

Read around my friend. You'll find few propogators of a Christian film industry in these parts. Christian filmmakers spoken in these threads generally just means Chirstians who are filmmakers. Like Christian Mechanics or Christian Fishmongers.

Around here we hope for a day when CF means that they have a better understanding from where their inspiration comes and that they hold themselves to a higher standard of excellence as they understand they're imitating the first and greatest artist. But we're a long way from there.

you'll also find very few people who are worried about "marketing themselves" as anything around here.

Read around my friend. You'll find few propogators of a Christian film industry in these parts.

Y'see, I thought that too at first. But a lot of people in a lot of threads that I've read seem to defend "Christian Films" marketed by Christians and toward Christians. And some tout "Christian" avenues for getting your films made or presented to an audience, i.e. Flickerings and other Christian Film Festivals, websites, etc.

Are these niche festivals & venues seen as capable of providing a route to the maintstream masses? Or does this crowd consider it a sacrilige to want to make viable product in Hollywood? Or viable Hollywood product?

Are we who rail against Christian conformity, graffiti, and copycat ethics willing still to try and find something in the muck to defend and be proud of?

Is this forum & other similar networks working as a support base for Filmmakers who are Christian, or are they holes of comfort to hide in for those who are afraid to walk off the edge of the world they know and simply trust God?

I'm not trying to make anyone angry here.

These are questions that I also ask of myself.

These are questions that I do not know the answer to.

Does anyone?

We must also consider the fact that of those who need to see good films, I'd say Christianity is the "front lines" of the artistically starved. Christian film fests is the chance for christians to see films other than those on PAX. And start thinking about the artform more seriously.

The bridge between the church's ghetto and therest of culture can be built from both sides.

: But a lot of people in a lot of threads that I've read seem to

: defend "Christian Films" marketed by Christians and toward Christians.

: And some tout "Christian" avenues for getting your films made or

: presented to an audience, i.e. Flickerings and other Christian Film

: Festivals, websites, etc.

Yes, but no one here is arguing for driving exclusively down Christian Blvd. So "Eileen" played Flickerings. Fine. Another of my films will be playing at a secular festival in September, and if all goes well, "Ernest" will be playing one or two non-Christian fests in the D.C. area. (Nor would I have had a problem if "Eileen" had played at a non-Christian festival; it just didn't work out for the gal.) I would suspect, in fact, that if you separated the non-Bushnell festivals that the films at Flickerings had played at or will play at, the secular ones would outnumber the religious ones at least two-to-one.

The filmmakers here are Over the Rhines, not Twila Parises: To us, the Christian marketplace is an afterthought.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

The filmmakers here are Over the Rhines, not Twila Parises: To us, the Christian marketplace is an afterthought.

Dale

Or a non sequitor.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Who wants to market themselves as a "Christian Filmmaker?"

I'd rather be slammed in Christian magazines as selling out and compromising with the world than be marketed as a Christian filmmaker. That might be an interesting marketing strategy (if there is indeed no such thing as bad publicity).

I guess the "market" I'm most concerned about is my Heavenly Father. I'm hoping to hear the words, "well done my good and faithful director." If that makes me the target of Christian critics who rate movies with a no-swearing, no-sex, no-violence, no-matter-what attitude then so be it. I'm not worried about them, they're already saved.

I would love to make Christian films in Hollywood!

TBN's films (The Omega Code and OC2) have amazing special fx (cafe fx who also did VFX for: Flubber, Hulk, Spy Kids) and other Hollywood Movies.

I hope Mel Gibson continues to make Christian Films after the release of 'The Passion of the Christ' (which looks really cool!)

I don't think you can say that TBN could be looked at as 2nd- class filmakers with their 9million dollar budget. Or even 'Cloud Ten Pictures' with their very succesful release of 'Left Behind-the movie'

I live in England and I am hoping to come to LA next year. Of course I'll be visiting 'Univeral Studios' and 'Disney' and 'Columbia'. Anything else you would suggest as a 'must-do' in Hollywood!

Gotta go now

be back later

Pete Jaxon

How is it that I never saw this thread before? I guess I didn't look hard enough.

I, personally, could care less if I am known as a Christian anything, i.e. filmmaker, musician, dreamer, lost cause, etc. My commitment to Christ is first and foremost in my life and I am a Christian. If Christian comes before the title then so be it. All it announces to me is that I serve Christ in the endeavor and I am not ashamed of the label. I do not want to separate my commitment to Christ from what I do as an artistic venture. I know that the

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

LT -

I was not speaking of the people in the church. I do not believe many would see the importance of some of these subjects and the necessities of the arts and the many forms they come in. I am speaking specifically to the leadership of the church, the headship under Christ that we submit to. If they have a concern with what is being produced, and/or funded, I believe the artist should address their concern with a biblical foundation and a spiritual conviction. If it comes down to an argument of conviction and opinion then I would hope there would be enough grace, given and received, for both parties involved; Grace that would cover the difference in opinion and the support for the conviction of the artist who is serving the Lord.

This is a difficult area of discussion for churches. It would be great to see artists funded by the churches they attend, especially since many churches are now calling on the artist to help market them and design their websites. And they call them to volunteer their talents and gifts, "Use them for the Lord." As if creating a pretty website is the only way their talents would serve God. It seems that the vision for most churches is to proclaim the Gospel message boldly and unveiled and to support those doing that type of work, such as the standard definition of missionary for instance.

Church leadership needs to understand the place art has in the body of Christ and artists need to be able to express their vision to the church in a way that they can understand even if they end up disagreeing.

Artists do need to be accountable to their church leadership just like every other member. They should not possess some sort of immunity because they are artists. That is not to say that everything an artists does should be submitted before the church elders first but in regard to support and funding this would be expected. A church should not be expected to just throw money around irresponsibly supporting anyone who asks for that type of support.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]