Sign in to follow this  

Evil Dead Remake

I agree. Why bother? What is it with all these remakes? Doesn't Hollywood have any original ideas any more?

What's next? A remake of Breakdance II: Electric Boogaloo? tongue.gif

ant

What's next?  A remake of Breakdance II: Electric Boogalootongue.gif

At least that's taking an awful movie and perhaps making an improvement. I don't see how you improve on the original Evil Dead. Everything that should have been going against it - low budget, less than stellar acting, hokey special effects - somehow worked in its favor. Adds to the (ahem) charm.

Raimi just needs to take some of his "Spidey" money and make a fourth film... with Bruce!!!

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Psst...dude...that's Breakin' II: Electric Boogaloo...

Be careful with a man's life, aight?

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

I stand duly corrected on the title issue. (FWIW, IMDB does list Breakdance 2 as a "AKA" title.)

Everything that should have been going against it - low budget, less than stellar acting, hokey special effects - somehow worked in its favor.

I agree 100%. The low-budgetness gives a very creepy feel to the whole thing. It's "production values" is what it has going for it-- certainly not the plot.

I've never seen the first two Evil Deads, but wasn't the second film ALREADY a remake of the first?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I've never seen the first two Evil Deads, but wasn't the second film ALREADY a remake of the first?

When Raimi and Co. made the first Evil Dead, they were trying to make a serious horror film (and it's not without its scary moments). However, they realized that the results were unintentionally pretty hokey, so they went and made Evil Dead 2 - which is basically the first film with its tongue firmly implanted in its cheek... and much better, IMHO, as a result.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

'WW' saw all the trade articles about Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert remaking "Evil Dead" the other day and drops in a follow-up rumour:

"I was one of the several dozen that submitted a Freddy vs Jason sequel treatment to New Line back in November 2003. It ended up that one of the execs there had his treatment - "Freddy vs Jason vs Ash" - met most favorably (saves starting up another payroll for an outsider you see?) and it was the one that was all set to go. Then things changed...

They began negotiations with Sam Raimi. I understand that as soon as Raimi saw that there was some interest in his Evil Dead franchise, he started_thinking about other possibilities for the character and_the remake idea was born out of that, and at the end of the day - money talked. He gets a bigger stake in ownership this way, whereas NL wanted a 'hand your character over to us' handshake. They were trying to work out a way they could both win, but it just didn't come off.

Anyway,_Senator International is doing the new series of "Evil Dead" movies. And nope, Bruce Campbell - besides a cameo I assume - isn't going to playing Ash. Not sure whether that's the financing parties decision or Raimi's. Guessing the suits made the call. One name being thrown about for the part of Ash is a guy named Justin Theroux from "Charlies Angels: Full Throttle" and "Mulholland Drive". Will be interesting to see how the fans take to him and the new start in general".

this is Justin Theroux...

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

Stack the graphics, but don't spread them out so widely -- this page is now much, much wider than my screen can handle. (Sure, I can scroll back and forth with each line in your opst, but who wants to do that if they shouldn't have to?)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Anyway,_Senator International is doing the new series of "Evil Dead" movies. And nope, Bruce Campbell - besides a cameo I assume - isn't going to playing Ash.

You know, there are some folks that might consider that blasphemy. I mean, just look at that puny chin!

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I've heard that Bruce actually talked to Raimi about the remake--about wanting to 'do it up' this time with the funds they originally wished they'd had, and co-producing along with Ghost House and Tapert...

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

If they're gonna do this I like Theroux in the part ... he's an odd little actor with a lot of talent and a lot of range ... his parts in Mulholland Drive and Six Feet Under were both excellent ... he'll manage to make a convincing Ash and I also think he's someone who could make the character his own rather than just aping Campbell ...

twitch

independent and cult film.

news. reviews. discussion.

Looks like there might be some credence to the rumor I heard about Bruce's role ...

Sean William Scott, though?

Clicky-clicky.

It is now being reported by Dheatre.com that actor Sean William Scott is in the running to play Ash in the re-make of Evil Dead. I am not sure whether this is good or bad. I still want Bruce Campbell to play the role, and I dont think anyone can replace him in this role. Sean is a talented actor who plays good quirky roles, but please, nobody can top Bruce Campbell.

Bruce Campbell is rumored to be producing with Sam Raimi, and neither one is expected at this point to direct or be in the movie. I hope that as time passes this turns out to be untrue since both have gobs of talent and could make this movie top notch. The nominal plot involves five vacationing college kids (Ash played by Bruce Campbell, his girlfriend Linda, and their classmates Cheryl, Scott and Shelly) making an unplanned stopover in an abandoned mountain cabin surrounded by impenetrable woods. Before settling in for the night, they come across an ancient-looking occult tome filled with dense hieroglyphics and macabre illustrations, a dagger fashioned from human bones, and a reel-to-reel tape recorder.

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

According to this story from Ain't It Cool News, Sam Raimi is now going to direct an Evil Dead 4 with Bruce Campbell returning to star as Ash. At the same time, he will also be producing a remake of his original Evil Dead, most likely to be directed by Chan Wook Park.

P.S. Can someone stack cygnet74's post pics and return this page to a normal width? Or is that just a single pic which happens to be that wide? smile.gif

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I don't get it.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Condensed... hmmm... just add vomit?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Fernandez to haunt 'Evil Dead'

"Red Riding Hood" star Shiloh Fernandez is venturing back into the woods to star in FilmDistrict and Mandate's "Evil Dead" reboot, and will also topline "Deep Powder" for Killer Films.

The "Evil Dead" role was highly sought after by young actors.

Helmed and penned by Fede Alvarez, the pic is a reinvention of the 1981 cult classic about a group of teens who holed up in a remote cabin who discover a Book of the Dead that unleashes demons they cannot control.

Though the plot is similar to the original, the idea is a new take, this time without the character of Ash. . . .

Variety, February 2

Jane Levy Is New Star Of ‘Evil Dead’ Remake

EXCLUSIVE: Jane Levy is in talks to play the lead in the remake of Evil Dead that Fede Alvarez will direct shortly. She replaces Lily Collins, who exited the film recently. Levy is the star of the ABC series Suburgatory, and stars in Fun Size, the Josh Schwartz-directed film for Paramount.

In FilmDistrict’s remake of Sam Raimi’s The Evil Dead, Levy’s plays Mia, a character that corresponds to Ash, who was played by Bruce Campbell in the original 1981 movie. Mia is one of five young people who head to the remote cabin where evil awaits. Recovering from a recent overdose, Mia is particularly vulnerable. Raimi, Campbell and Rob Tapert are producing with Ghost House Pictures. Fede Alvarez is directing and co-wrote the script with Rodo Sayagues. Diablo Cody (Juno, Young Adult) revised the latest draft. The movie is targeted to open April 12, 2013. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, February 3

Sam Raimi Sues Over Rights to 'Evil Dead' Sequel

New dispute illustrates why directors and producers in Hollywood should be careful about saying they'll NEVER do a sequel.

Hollywood Reporter, May 4

I think this is gonna have to be my line as far a horror movies go. The amount of gore, evil, and darkness in this just looks way past my interest level. Gore and terror and people cutting themselves up for the sake of entertainment with no redeeming value just is not worth seeing in my book.

and once again my huge pet peeve with remakes lately. They just take themselves way too seriously, when their original was campy and funny even if not trying to be. What happened to camp?

Edited by Taliesin

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story

Well, the original was pretty serious...but it was highly innovative...early Sam Raimi is, I think a must watch for serious young filmmakers. He accomplishes a lot with so little. Evil Dead 2, on the other hand was straight up horror comedy. As was the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Both Hooper and Raimi felt the terror aspects were played out and wanted to have some fun with their worlds.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Never saw the first Evil Dead but I even thought that Evid Dead 2 was to heavy on the evil aspects, although the comedy was there. For me though the 3'rd one, ARMY OF DARKNESS, was all kinds of great. They just had so much fun playing on the campiness of it all. That's Bruce Campbell's shining moment.

Also it's kind of weird to listen to people cheering so loudly at the end of this trailer.

Edited by Attica

It seems like they are blending the first film and the second for this one...

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby