Sign in to follow this  
Jazzaloha

Ordet (1955)

I still hate the fact that Anders and Anne walk to the corner in the final scene to spend the rest of the film looking like they have nothing to do, even if it was intentional on Dreyer's part. It breaks the flow... everyone else's actions in that scene seem at least somewhat natural.

The other thing I noticed when I watched the film is that at the very beginning, the camera pans to show us that Johannes is not in his bed. The rule of camera movement is it should always be motivated by the story. It felt somewhat odd to have the camera pan at that moment, even though there's a good case for the story motivating that movement.

So there. Two things I disliked... I'm sure no one will agree that either is a flaw.

There are no flaws in Ordet. Genesis and I recently watched the final 15 minutes of it, due to this thread. It was her first experience with it and my most recent experience with it in two or more years. It was the first time that Genesis saw her daddy cry.

-s.

The younger brother is kind of whiney?  That's all I got.

Yeah, that and he should have mugged for the camera a little when he delivers the "You're the best father I ever had" line. He steps all over the line's full comic value.

I'm with you there.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything that struck me as a fault. As pointed out earlier, the wipes toward the end are a bit jarring, but that's more my problem than Dreyer's, methinks.

Edited by NBooth

We should have some sort of calendar that resuscitates this thread every 45 or 60 days, for our own good.

And my film group watched Ordet jus this past Sunday, so I'd wanted to revisit what I'd read and said earlier.

Edited by Guest

Ha! You're right. Time to bring it back up.

Diane's set to watch it soon, too, so I'm sure there will be more discussion in the next week or so.

Diane's set to watch it soon....

I've seen it and...WOW.

Boy, I'm glad I confessed to my Dreyer ignorance over at the confessions thread. Russ and Doug, thanks for prompting me to dive in. Confession truly is good for the soul. smile.gif

Simply put, I love this film. I've not been so emotionally affected by a film in quite a long time. What a beautiful and stunningly powerful work! I can already tell that this one is sure to be an all-time favorite.

Now I've got to go back and read this thread, and I can hopefully weigh in with more later.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Diane! You're not supposed to like it this quickly! You're supposed to find it "boring" and "challenging" and then put in hours and hours of long, hard work trying to understand the film before you can respond this positively to it!

wink.gif

Yeah, Alan. There was one part that made me gasp and pretty much burst into tears. And then more tears came later...and again later. I really couldn't believe what I was seeing/hearing.

This is why Ordet is my all-time favorite film. smile.gif

What is amazing is how universal this response to the film is regardless of one's religious orientation. At least that has been my experience discussing the film with many agnostics/athiests and reading the reviews of others. It's a film that knocks you out with its audacity but them humbles you because it's so recognizably true.

There's some discussion on the old board here here and particularly here as well as a handout here and some other stuff here and finally here (although that might be the same as one of the others)

Boy did that take some clicking. And now I've just noticed that already 3 more posts have gone up so I'm going to read those first (My clicking hand actually hurts!)

Matt

guys just wanna ask why i can't go to web addresses as listed above?deleted?

Unfortunately, those links are to the old board, and a couple of them seem to be gone forever. However, I used PTC's method of finding old threads and plugged all of the dead web addresses into webarchive.org. It looks like four of the threads were archived:

one

two

three

four

Diane, You are now officially in my Ordet Weeper's Club. This means that if you wept the first time like we did, you are now allowed to put the disc in the player every two years and find youself weeping all over again.

Welcome. smile.gif

-s.

Diane, You are now officially in my Ordet Weeper's Club.  This means that if you wept the first time like we did, you are now allowed to put the disc in the player every two years and find youself weeping all over again.

Welcome. smile.gif

-s.

Count me as a member, but as one untimely born. I didn

Can somebody look into getting us some official club buttons or something?

Oh, this will either amuse you (at my expense) or make you wonder who let me in this place. Or maybe you'll want to weep over this. Here are three anecdotes that show the extent of my previous Dreyer ignorance:

1. I somehow thought that his name was Carl Theodor VON Dreyer.

2. I believe I kept getting Day of Wrath confused with Aguirre: The Wrath of God. I probably thought they were the same film.

3. I thought that the translation of Ordet was "The World," so I didn't catch on that it was "The Word" until the last few moments of the film

Edited by Diane

1. I somehow thought that his name was Carl Theodor VON Dreyer.
You have more in common with Stef than you could possibly imagine.

2. I believe I kept getting Day of Wrath confused with Aguirre: The Wrath of God. I probably thought they were the same film.
Well...they both deal with questions social psychology and power in an isolated community...

Falconetti was a first-time weeper?!

Ha! I do tend to cry fairly easily. I had good portions of the day ruined after I saw All That Heaven Allows, and all it takes to get me going in the "When She Loved Me" scene in Toy Story 2 is for the scene to start.

So, Diane, did you watch Day of Wrath yet? Did you? Did you?

Here's my embarrassing Dreyer story: I'd been raving about it to my pastor, who's from Sweden and knew of Kaj Munk, though not Dreyer's film. I'd always pronounced the title or-DET, emphasis on the last syllable. After I get through my ten minute spiel about why it's the greatest film ever made, he points out in passing, and politely, that the Swedish pronunciation would be OHR-dit, emphasis first syllable.

So, Diane, did you watch Day of Wrath yet?  Did you?  Did you? 

I've started it, Russ, and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more. And I want to rewatch Ordet. And Joan is also at home from Netflix, so it's going to be All About Dreyer for a bit. No complaints here. smile.gif

Good to know about the pronunciation. Hey, I would have been wrong, too.

It really warms my heart to know there are guys out there who aren't afraid to let their emotions show. smile.gif For whatever reason, I tend to cry much more easily these days, though I'm pretty good at keeping any tears in check around others. I watched Ordet alone and caught myself wishing that I had someone there to share the experience with me, but I wonder what type of emotional response I would have had if that had been the case. I wonder if I would have been able to hold all of that in. As it was, I was a wreck.

I'm still stunned by the ending. I kept thinking, "There's no way this film is gonna go there. No way! Nobody can pull this off without it looking incredibly hokey." But then the film went there boldly, and it worked brilliantly. Amazing.

This is the kind of film that makes me reconsider my Bergman-mania, which has started to wane anyway (barring a few of his films). You know, I couldn't help but think of where this story would have gone if Bergman had been behind it. It's pretty easy to make a guess as to how/where it would have ended. sad.gif