Passion of the Christ - THE VIDEO GAME

Story here. (Please give me a hearty "ahem" if this is posted elsewhere already.)

Andrew Sullivan says:

CRUCIFIXION GAMEBOX: They're selling a "Passion of the Christ" video game? Does Jesus try to get away or something?

(Yes, it is a joke.)

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Hmmm, the linked page is basically blank now ...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Halo is a Christian game? Who knew!

Actually, Bungie (the studio that made the Halo series) is notorious for sticking many religious and mythological references in their games. which of course lends itself very well to intense speculation by fans (sort of like The Matrix).

For example, this site discusses many of the references in Marathon, a series of games Bungie released before Halo (scroll down in the left frame to "Historical & Mythological References in Marathon"). This page speculates on some of the references in Halo. And here's a pretty lengthy treatise on the similarities between Halo and James Joyce's Ulysses.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Halo: Holy Combat. This was a slide from a lecture at an industry meeting. Perhaps this is the third game in the series?

On a serious note, I'll misuse the fact that I work in the game industry to assume some sort of authority when I state the obvious: Christian games are nowhere close to being worthwhile endeavors at this point. The current games have been cheaply developed and uncreative for the most part, exhibiting neither technological excellence or spiritual depth. The target should be smaller scale, more creative games that can be developed for minimal cost and still look and play decently.

For instance, interactive fiction is a genre where games with spiritual or Christian themes could be very effective. I wouldn't market them overtly as Christian... I'd just make games with spiritual themes that make people think and that gently suggest an answer to their own questions.

Edited by theoddone33
Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Not to get too far off-topic, but what exactly do you do in the game industry?  Programmer, designer, what?

I'm a programmer at a small studio that does racing games for XBox and PS2, among other things.

Wasn't this the case with the Myst series?  IIRC, the original creator(s) were Christians, and did try to weave some Christian/spiritual themes into their games (they did appear at Cornerstone a year or two, and gave a workshop that revolved around their efforts).  Granted, it's been a long time since I've played anything in the series, and I think the original creators are no longer involved in the series, so that may no longer be the case.

I've never played those, but chances are the publishers have final say on all content. Even if you started out with a game that had explicit Christian themes and messages, I'm not sure it would get by a publisher without any modification. Then again, it's an industry that is full of surprises.

Also I think the studio that did Myst may have gone out of business in the last year or two... I'd have to try to dig up the article to be sure.