Well-Known Actors and Directors Who Are Believers?

In Empire this month Mark Wahlberg was saying how 'it's all about Jesus now'. I'm sure he'll be on Actor's Studio one day.

Edited by Romi

John Voight,and I think Angela Bassett....

I think that I saw Tom Hanks say that he was Greek Orthodox in an interview once,but maybe that was a joke?

Cuba Gooding, Jr (if I remember his Oscar speech correctly).

In Britain, James Fox is quite well-known as a Christian.

David wrote:

: I think that I saw Tom Hanks say that he was Greek Orthodox in an interview

: once,but maybe that was a joke?

The vibe I get from the Orthodox circles in which I swim is that Hanks basically converted so that he could marry his Greek wife -- y'know, kinda like that guy who gets baptized, apparently without any catechetical instruction, in My Big Fat Greek Wedding (which Hanks and his wife produced) and then says, not "I'm a Christian now", but "I'm a Greek now." I hear he doesn't attend church all that much, and since he's now in talks to make The Da Vinci Code ...

Speaking of which, while I definitely get the vibe that Jon Voight is a believer of SOME sort (I was part of a press-conference-by-phone with him, around the release of Varsity Blues, and he signed off with a "God bless", which I figure you don't do in front of a bunch of reporters unless you really mean it), I do question his decision to make that revisionist Noah's Ark TV show.

From the nature of the board, I trust you mean Christian believers. Otherwise the list could be endless...

As for Christians... I think that for a majority of actors from the studio days it was taken for granted that they were and there wasn't a need, as there may be today, to make this explicit.

I'm sure that if we dredged up Oscar speeches past a lot more names would pop up.

Sorry, this is pure hearsay... but I heard Samuel L. Jackson.

Personally, the more I live, the less I feel like I should try to make the Christian/NonChristian distinction in others. Now I'm trying to adopt a view of personal evangelism that makes no judgments about the state of another's soul.

Personally, the more I live, the less I feel like I should try to make the Christian/NonChristian distinction in others.

I usually don't, however I am also very aware that I am one of the few (only?) non-Christians on this board and don't wish to tread on any toes. Actually, I don't mind treading on toes so much, just not breaking them wink.gif Seriously though, talk on this board understandably centres around Christianity and can sometimes speak sweepingly about belief and God from such a perspective. This doesn't bother me as the agenda of the board is made very clear and I try to respect that. At times though I have felt unsure whether to reply in case I am changing the user's question to fit my perspective. In this case, a lot of Buddhists came to mind, as did Bollywood, and I felt that I needed to clarify it.

So I suppose although I said that I usually don't make such a distinction in others, this board encourages me to. I would also say that this isn't necesarily a bad thing. You need to recognise these distinctions to be able to understand and respect the other person and their beliefs (treat others as...). So perhaps it's the second part of your statement I agree with more.

Robert Duvall?

LOL.

Patience. patience...

Gavin McLeod is a Christian. Stephen Baldwin accepted Christ shortly after 9/11. Mr. T is also Christian...

More later.

Re: Samuel L. Jackson, his wife, LaTonya Richardson, played the pastor's supremely self-righteous sister in The Fighting Temptations, and ISTR hearing at the time of the film's release that she herself talked about her faith with reporters; but, considering what the film as a whole was like, and considering the state of my memory, don't quote me on that.

Alan wrote:

... a routine thanking of God during an awards acceptance speech really may not mean that much.

Agreed, but from what I remember, Cuba Gooding's acceptance speech in 1997 was explicitly Christian. I did a bit of a Google search, and found this quote from Gooding:

I'm a Christian and I believe God has a plan. I don't completely understand it, but I'm going to play [a role] as He wants. I trust Him.

[Edit:] Hmm, interesting. The same page has a few relevant quotes, such as this one:

[Gooding] says he became a born-again Christian at age 13.

Now 28, he reflects that everything he does is "a direct stem from God's plan."

"I'm a sinner and I fall to some of the enticing sins of the world," he says. "But my relationship with God has guided me."

Edited by Alvy

about 'assuming' Studio stars were Christians--anything but. PUHLEASE.

I didn't mean to assume that they were Christians, rather that the studios sold that assumption which meant that actors could get away without being explicit about their faith or lack thereof.

As for the Oscar speeches, it's usually quite obvious from the nature of the speeches what is a

routine thanking of God
and a more sincere gratitude. They make for a good starting point at least. I think it's safe to say that if someone is a true believer they will mention God, which I agree doesn't equal every mention comes from a true believer.

While I'm trying to be careful about labelling people--not the purpose of this thread--I am interested in actors who have made personal statements of (Christian) spiritual conviction.

Which is more or less how I understood the post. Still, though, I am having trouble coming up with some names.

You are a model of respectful participation 'in a foreign land' as it were. I'm very glad you're here.

Well, gee blush.gif thanks. I do worry a little about it and try my best. I am often very aware of my ignorance of the issues in hand at times. Should clarify, not entirely foreign land as I was baptised and raised in a Catholic school (although not at home).

Edited by gigi

:: Jon Voight

: I do question his decision to make that revisionist Noah's Ark TV show

S'funny - that's exactly what I thought when his name was raised. As much just for the sheer awfulness of it as much as the revisions.

Returning to the question...

We discussed Liam Neeson's faith here

and does Mandy Moore still count?

and of course there's Brittany Spears...

Matt

Edited by MattPage

Here are a few others...

Dyan Cannon has a ministry in Hollywood that was profiled in Hollywood Jesus.

Kirk Cameron.

Charlie Sheen said he became "born again" once, some time back. Got him off of drugs.

Kevin Smith insists he's a believer, but I thought Dogma was terrible.

Ricardo Montalban.

Years ago there was an interview with Lloyd Bridges' wife, who talked about how important faith is to her whole family. She said Jeff and Beau pray every day. I've heard Beau in an awards-acceptance speech say "To God be the glory" or something along those lines, but have never heard Jeff talk about his faith.

Gary Busey professes the faith.

Yeah, I know, I know...

I did see him in L.A. at a Tim Storey fellowship--and he seemed lucid and off drugs! (or on some that leveled him out, who can say?)--but that was about 6 years ago...

Ah yes, he's not quite yet a believer, but we're all praying.

Me smakk u nau.

-----------

Edited by Jason Bortz

FWIW, the local Christian paper for which I write interrupted one of my film pages this weekend by sticking an ungainly sidebar on there concerning Val Kilmer, who apparently talked about his faith on Robert Schuller's TV show.

Somebody here mentioned Denzel, and I've heard that too, but his purported faith was just one more reason why I found his directorial debut Antwone Fisher disappointing.

Charlton Heston

I also have a sneaking suspicion that James Cosmo might be as well, and would be interested to know where Martin Landau pitches his faith.

(by the way - what was the joke with Gary Busey? I only know his name from "bible film" Tribulation)

Matt