Well-Known Actors and Directors Who Are Believers?

Alexander Scourby and James Earl Jones have both recorded the Bible. Does that count for something?

There's always Dean Jones.

I always thought it was interesting that Spencer Tracy never divorced his wife because of his Catholic faith, yet pursued a long-term relationship with Katharine Hepburn. Adultery apparently wasn't a problem, but divorce? Out of the question.

Does anyone know whether Billy Graham's World Wide Pictures had some policy about casting only believers? There are some interesting names in films like The Prodigal: John Cullum, Morgan Brittany (both best known for TV work), Clayton Corzatte (not a film guy, but he's the elder statesman of Seattle stage actors).

Same question for Matt Crouch's film outfit; I wondered what could possibly have possessed Michael York to agree to work on The Omega Code.

No, nothing whatsoever.

duel.gif

It counts for making me curious about them, at any rate...

Agreed; but by that token you should also be interested in the entire cast of most biblical epics -- or Michael York and John Cleese, who have both recorded full-length works by C.S. Lewis...

Well, I am curious about Michael York (see above), who, as you know, is also the former lover of Tennessee Williams. Which Lewis work did he record?

Biblical epics? Nah, not if they're released by a studio that doesn't require a profession of faith from the actors. I love and am intrigued by the Cleese recording, but I know better than to draw any inferences. Many nonbelievers enjoy the works of C.S. Lewis, as you can see if you spend a little time in the forums at the Narnia film site. But recording the entire text of the Bible

Well, I am curious about Michael York (see above), who, as you know, is also the former lover of Tennessee Williams.

Seriously?

Speaking of actors in biblical epics and Bible recordings, is Ben Kingsley on the record about his religious beliefs? In addition to the Moses and Joseph movies, I seem to remember he participated (along with Morgan Freeman, Kelly McGillis and some other big names) in a recording of Bible stories many years ago.

York in 'spiritual search.'

The doom and gloom of the Book of Revelation is not necessarily York's personal beliefs, but he says, "I keep the doors and windows open, I am still in a spiritual search. I just think it's fascinating. It's part of our Judeo-Christian culture that we've been raised on, or I've been raised on. They are wonderful stories, you know. They are among the myths and stories that have formed our culture. They're there, and I happen to think, 'Why not have a morally unambiguous story for a change?' And also because when you think of Christian entertainment, for some it's a contradiction in terms."

Well, I am curious about Michael York (see above), who, as you know, is also the former lover of Tennessee Williams.

Seriously?

OK, retraction time. Can't find any confirmation of this. In fact, York has been married for more than thirty years.

Don't remember where I first heard that rumor, but I guess I shouldn't go around behaving as though it were common knowledge.

blushing.gif Sorry, Michael.

mrmando wrote:

: Same question for Matt Crouch's film outfit; I wondered what could possibly have

: possessed Michael York to agree to work on The Omega Code.

Seriously!? Isn't that a little like asking what possessed Jeremy Irons to play the bad guy in that Dungeons & Dragons movie? It was a job, and they got to chew the scenery Big Time.

("Possessed," heh heh.)

Seriously!?  Isn't that a little like asking what possessed Jeremy Irons to play the bad guy in that Dungeons & Dragons movie?

A little, yes.

It was a job, and they got to chew the scenery Big Time.

Well, if I were York I would ask myself first whether I wanted to be associated with the family of a whackjob like Paul Crouch.

But I suppose I'm one to talk

: Yes I wonder about Kingsley too - but maybe that's just cos he played Gandhi as well

Matt

Did a quick Google search on Kingsley and came up with several sites listing him (and Judi Dench) as Quakers, including here and here.

Also found a couple of references to Aaron Eckhart, Kingsley's co-star in Suspect Zero, as a Christian.

One story called Eckhart "a Christian actor," another mentioned that he has strong religious beliefs and that he met director Neil LaBute at Brigham Young University - so yeah, I'd guess Mormon, but I didn't see anything where he specifically talks about his faith.

Does anyone know whether Billy Graham's World Wide Pictures had some policy about casting only believers? There are some interesting names in films like The Prodigal: John Cullum, Morgan Brittany (both best known for TV work), Clayton Corzatte (not a film guy, but he's the elder statesman of Seattle stage actors).

WWP uses non-believers as well as believers. I think the main crew (and the writers) are Christians.

I just received in the mail a copy of the program from Master Media's (Larry Poland) 'National Media Day of Prayer'. A number of actors are listed in the program as being officially on the program or supporters of the group, including:

-Jodi Benson (Little Mermaid)

-Eric Close (Without a Trace)

-Peter Parros (As the World Turns, also a writer or co-writer for 2 Billy Graham films)

-Rhonda Fleming (Gunfight at the OK Corral, Connecticut Yankee...)

-Pat Boone (did someone mention him already?)

One section mentions members of the old Hollywood Christian Group, including Roy Rogers, Dale Evans Rogers, Jane Withers, Porter Hall, Colleen Townsend, Jane Russell and Georgia Lee.

In the section that quotes Media Professionals on prayer, they cite Cecil B. DeMille, Halle Berry ("I meditate and pray all the time"), Dennis Miller ("...you should hit your knees every night and thank God that you've been blessed...), Loretta Young, Walt Disney ("...my Congregational upbringing and lifelong habit of prayer...), and Denzel Washington ("...Pentacostal foundation...").

Went through revival about a month ago and the guest pastor screened part of "St. Thomas in Exile". Between being convicted of unconfessed sins (which I later turned over to the Lord and have his grace over) and being blown away by the performance, I was wondering who the actor was. The next day the pastor told us it was Dean Jones! Mr. "Herbie the Love Bug", "Shaggy Dog", and every other live action Disney movie himself. Aparently "St. Thomas" is his one man play that he does now. Highly recommended.

Went through revival about a month ago and the guest pastor screened part of "St. Thomas in Exile". Between being convicted of unconfessed sins (which I later turned over to the Lord and have his grace over) and being blown away by the performance, I was wondering who the actor was. The next day the pastor told us it was Dean Jones! Mr. "Herbie the Love Bug", "Shaggy Dog", and every other live action Disney movie himself. Aparently "St. Thomas" is his one man play that he does now. Highly recommended.

Correction on my earlier post. The title was "St. JOHN in Exile".

Of course when we argue all of this I finf myself chuckling over several names because they may profess faith but words and actual faith are two different things.

Rene Russo was, at one time, calling my church, CHurch on the Way, her church in intereviews and what not but then after her nude scene in The Thomas Crown Affair she was asked by the then lead pastor to stop,

Interestingly enough for being a church in the San Fernando Valley we seem to get a few stars from time to time and others that are regulars. I know Cuba Gooding has come from time to time. Dean Jones is somewhat of a regular as is the guy who played Flash Gordon back when. I believe Tesh has made an appearance and then Pat Boone once rode his motorcycle down the aisle.

I don't know, there's been others but when you mention stars anytime you gotta realize more often than not you're disappointed because things don't pan out in terms of their "faith." It's almost a useless thing to dicuss (though I certainly see the appeal, since, I'm discussing it right now) but what can you do.

Rene Russo was, at one time, calling my church, CHurch on the Way, her church in intereviews and what not but then after her nude scene in The Thomas Crown Affair she was asked by the then lead pastor to stop.

Are you sure? I thought I remembered reading something from her pastor (or some other "spiritual leader" in her life) who was very supportive of her choice, and backed her up completely as a professional actor. It stuck in my mind because my wife and I attended Church On The Way for part of the time when I was at theatre school in California: I found it interesting that Russo was there, and was pleased that her church (formerly "our" church) was being supportive of her, instead of leaping to the attack as so many other religious folk were doing at the time.

Do you have anything in print that indicates Jack Hafer actually asked her to stop calling herself a member of Church On The Way? It just doesn't seem likely to me, somehow - and it's kind of a nasty thing to accuse him of if it can't be substantiated.

By the way, Terry Mattingly did a thoughtful piece about the THOMAS CROWN controversy, based on a conversation with Robert K. Johnston. Good stuff.

FWIW, the local Christian paper for which I write interrupted one of my film pages this weekend by sticking an ungainly sidebar on there concerning Val Kilmer, who apparently talked about his faith on Robert Schuller's TV show.

Val Kilmer: star witness

BC Christian News

Hollywood star Val Kilmer recently appeared on Robert Schuller's Hour of Power. He identified himself as a Christian, and spoke of his church background. Speaking about the 10 Commandments, Kilmer told Schuller: "What Jesus ended up doing is refining those 10 laws to two; to love God with all your heart and soul and mind, and to love your neighbour as yourself. If you do those two things, then you can't steal, you're not going to covet, not going to lie." Kilmer

P.S. from Ron: ...but his greatest film is TOMBSTONE.

So I take it you've never seen The Doors?

-s.

-s.

and he gave an excellent performance in Joe the King.

Saw THE DOORS, but I don't remember it too vividly. Probably a better film than the western, all things considered. Watching him in TOMBSTONE, though, I was constantly in awe. That was an awe-inspiring performance.

That was an awe-inspiring performance.

All right, but it doesn't make Tombstone a great film.

No, Ron. You don't get it. He WAS Jim Morrison. No acting involved.

-s.

That was an awe-inspiring performance.

All right, but it doesn't make Tombstone a great film.

Perhaps when I said "His greatest film," I mis-spoke. For clarity's sake, should have said "His greatest film role" or "greatest film performance." Though, arguably, "his greatest film" could legitimately be understood in the way I meant it, that the element(s) of the film (in this case TOMBSTONE) that were his - i.e. his performance - were his greatest. Nevertheless, I'm willing to stand corrected. (Though I suppose I should say, I'm willing to sit corrected, since I am in fact...)

By the way, when are you boys going to update (or submit) a Fave Films of '04 list?