Capturing The Friedmans

M. Dale Prins

I'm surprised there apparently isn't a thread regarding Capturing the Friedmans on the new board -- I admit not checking the old -- because it's perhaps the most critically acclaimed film of '03 so far, and because the relentless haziness the film throws at the viewer seems the perfect discussion catalyst. (Did or didn't the father rape those kids? Did or didn't the accused son participate? Did or didn't the father rape his brother? Why is the accused son so happy before sentencing?)

I'm relatively negative on the film -- "relatively negative" meaning I gave the film a B instead of the As or four-stars-of-four being ubiquitously thrown about -- and it's primarily for three reasons:

• I'm all for ambiguity in theory, but I'm not fond of the manner Jarecki creates it: It plays like the second-half of every Law & Order episode from the past few years, where every five minutes there is a new piece of evidence pointing toward the guilt/innocence of the party the audience formerly thought was innocent/guilty. There

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

• 6 months later...

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I like the review's reference to Memento. Not only does it lead us to conculsions that will have to be rethought, but it also raises questions of how real memories can be - whether they are true or not. You are left to wonder about the victims who continue to believe they were raped: at this point they are rape victims, but was it at the hands of the Friedmans or was the rape really the result of the police and therapist?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 3 years later...

Docu Subject Gets Hearing in Sex Case

After serving 13 years in prison for sexually abusing children, a Long Island man whose family became the subject of an Oscar-nominated documentary may have a chance at exoneration. A federal judge ordered a hearing to determine if prosecutors wrongfully withheld evidence that police hypnotized at least one of the children who accused Jesse Friedman, the youngest member of the Great Neck, N.Y., family featured in "Capturing the Friedmans," newspapers reported Tuesday.

Associated Press, July 24

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 years later...

Prosecutor to review infamous NY child molest case

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. — A prosecutor said Tuesday she will select a group of law-enforcement, legal and social science experts to help her investigators review a notorious child molestation case from the 1980s, although a defense attorney says he prefers the involvement of an independent prosecutor.

Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice's announcement comes a day after a federal appeals court criticized police, prosecutors and the judge who handled the case against Arnold and Jesse Friedman.

A teenage Friedman and his father pleaded guilty in 1988 to molesting 13 children during computer classes in the basement of their home in Great Neck, on Long Island. Jesse Friedman has long contended he was coerced into making the guilty plea and the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals said Monday there is good cause to believe that might be true. . . .

Associated Press, August 17

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 years later...

‘Capturing the Friedmans’ Subject Seeks to Overturn 1988 Conviction

Friedman’s optimism stems from a new motion filed Monday night by his attorney, Ron Kuby, asking the court to overturn Friedman’s conviction (he was released in 2001 after serving a 13-year prison sentence) on the basis of voluminous new evidence gathered by the defendant’s legal team working closely with Jarecki, who has continued to investigate the case over the past decade. That evidence includes written recantations by the prosecution’s only adult witness, Ross Goldstein, as well as five of the original child witnesses, all of whom now claim they were coerced by police and prosecutors into providing false testimony about crimes that never occurred. Also included in the filing is a sworn affidavit from noted attorney and victims’ rights advocate Barry Scheck, imploring the court to hold a new evidentiary hearing and to give Friedman’s lawyers access to original case files that have been sequestered by the district attorney’s office since 1988. (The full text of Friedman’s motion, including Scheck’s statement, can be viewed online at the support website freejesse.net.)

Scheck’s statement is seen by Friedman’s team as particularly damning to Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice, who in 2010 appointed Scheck to a four-person independent advisory panel tasked with aiding her office in its internal review of the original conviction. Rice was responding to the determination by a federal appellate court that there was “reasonable likelihood” of Friedman’s innocence. But as Scheck’s statement now reveals, the advisory panel was denied access to the prosecution files, police reports and other relevant documents, given only limited access to Friedman and Goldstein themselves, and prohibited from making any binding determinations of credibility. After dragging things out for three years, Rice’s office issued a 155-page report in 2013 that upheld Friedman’s conviction with a vengeance. . . .

Variety, June 24