Sign in to follow this  
eyeangle

Professional DV camera?

I use the Panasonic AG-DVX100. There's a 100A out now...

Love it. Swear by it. LIVE it.

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Incidentally, if you want to observe the quality of the camera, you can go here or check out my website (albeit my need-to-be-updated website)--all of these were shot with the DVX100.

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Jason-- what do you think of the "film emulation" mode (or whatever its called that makes it look like 24fps) on that unit? Would love to look at the films on your site, but I'm still on dial-up at the house...

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

24p advanced looks great. We shot all the footage in Africa on that, and it's really, really clear. It really does 'trick' one into forgetting they're watching video.

I'll post some stills pulled from a steady roll later on when I get home for ya. smile.gif

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Ok, here're a few images--all taken from 'full roll.' (They're not posed for, single-frame still shots.)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Varied.

The first (40 Year Scotch) used a 250k pin spot from above, and a 500k with soft box in the front.

The second (Acedia)--yeah, about 5 instruments surrounding the scene, ranging from 250 to 750k.

The third (Hope) had a 1K and a 500K outside the window throwing ambient through the garden-hose rain.

The fourth (Hope) had a 1K up and above to the right, and a 750k throwing onto the front grill.

The fifth (40 Year Scotch), a 250k and a softboxed 500k.

I don't have any captured from the Africa roll because, well, we shot about 2700 pictures with digital cameras. biggrin.gif

This one (Taxi Ride) was lit with about 8 stingers (little ambient lights popped in here and there, about 150w) two 1Ks outside, and soft boxed 500ks indoors.

user posted image

The full video of Taxi Ride is available here.

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Jason-- Hot! Yeah, what additional lenses or after-effects software do you use with that camera?

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Thanks coltrane. smile.gif

The lens adapters for the DVX are all bayonet mounted--unless you buy the Arri package, which allows one to use Arri lenses (and swallows the DVX whole, lol).

I have three, all Century Precision Optics: a 1.6 tele-converter, a .6 wide angle adapter, and a fisheye. I also have a Tiffen filter kit, consisting of an 812 Warming, UV, polarizer & enhancing lenses.

All but Acedia were edited with Final Cut Pro. Acedia was edited in Sony Vegas. Though I do have Adobe After Effects, we don't use any SFX--not out of disdain; just haven't found the need for them yet. smile.gif

---------

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

if its any help, the trailer at my web site is only 11mb (you mentioned you were on dial-up) will show you some footage shot with the same cameras (DVX-100) that jason is talking about.

Blue in Green - trailer

also, check out dvxuser.com for a lot of info on this camera.

Wow, Jason, those pics are awesome. Great job.

I have the DVX-100 as well, shot RSTC on it. I love its look, you feel like you're waiting for the film to roll out when you're watching the dailies.