Sign in to follow this  

The Flash

Links to our threads on the DC Cinematic Universe films Man of Steel (2013), Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Suicide Squad (2016), Wonder Woman (2017), Justice League (2017), Aquaman (2018), Shazam! (2019), Wonder Woman 1984 (2019) and Birds of Prey (in development), as well as the in-development Flashpoint, Black Adam, Cyborg, Green Lantern, Nightwing, Batgirl, Joker, Gotham City Sirens and Justice League Dark movies and the not-yet-dated Superman, Batman and Justice League sequels.   

Links to our threads on The Lego Movie (2014), The Lego Batman Movie (2017) and The Lego Movie 2 (2018), all of which feature Lego versions of DC superheroes. 

Goyer ankled the project a couple weeks ago.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The Flash?? The freaking FLASH??!

You have got to be kidding me.

First of all, Atanarjuat runs faster. Secondly, this character ain't movie material.

Think about it. Aren't there a plethora of comic book characters that are much more interesting than The Flash?!

There are certainly a lot more characters that lend themselves to film. The Black Widow. Cloak and Dagger. Gargoyle (the mini-series was A-W-E-S-O-M-E). Daredevil (yes, somebody please remake that awful mess of a film, and then feel free to do the same with Elektra). Moon Knight (I can't even remember his origin or powers but he certainly looked cool, which I'm sorry but The Flash does not).

I mean, check it out:

442px-Moon_Knight_Head.jpg

Thor? Dr. Strange? Heck, I'll watch Howard the Duck before I watch The Flash.

-s.

PS. And why do all these films have to be about the heroes? After watching so many gangster films as of late, I think I'd prefer to see The Kingpin or The Shadow King get a film. Or why not a Legion X-Men spinoff? It might be as cool as a Wolverine.

Edited by stef

Oooh... I'd like to see a good movie version of Cloak & Dagger.

To me, the Flash only works when he's got a villian like Gorilla Grodd around - where his power is more about his brains than his feet.

Honestly, how about a Justice Society of America movie? Most of the characters there are either older version of other well-known superheroes (Green Lantern Alan Scott; Jay Garrick is an older Flash) or have interesting personalities (Wildcat; Dr. Midnight; Sandman) that could lend to a great film.

DC/Warner Bros. wants a Justice League of America film, according to this article at Superhero Hype. Not sure how one would deal with the problem of the DC trinity (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) being involved.

A Teen Titans movie with these guys from Smallville?

Paramount has a Nick Fury movie in development.

The Avengers. You could cobble together a great team from the characters not already farmed out to studios.

The Brave and the Bold? Green Lantern (and the Corps?) Aquaman? Sgt. Rock?

Lobo. Seriously. The baddest bastich himself.

But... The Flash is one of the more popular characters that everyone knows. It's still possible to do a good version. I guess.

David Dobkin Takes 'Flash' Reins, Spills Details

"Wedding Crashers" and "Fred Claus" director David Dobkin revealed to MTV News that he's signed with Warner Bros. to bring the fleet-footed super to the big screen in a solo project, taking over for Shawn Levy who has left for undisclosed reasons. Dobkin's film won't be the character's first appearance in cinemas, of course, with the Flash a major part of the upcoming "Justice League of America" film. But while fans wait for "JLA" story and casting announcements with bated breath, Dobkin can't help but hold his -- confirming that his movie will exist in the same universe as the upcoming flick as a direct spin-off.

MTV Movies Blog, October 27

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Warners hires writers for 'Green Lantern 2' and 'Flash' (exclusive)

“Green Lantern” is a year away from release, but Warner Bros. already is starting development on a sequel.

The studio has hired Greg Berlanti, Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim, all of whom worked on the “Lantern” screenplay, to write a treatment for the second installment.

The trio has also been tapped to pen the treatment for the silver-screen incarnation of “The Flash.”

Under the deal, they would then go on to write the screenplay for one of the two projects, though which one has not been determined. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, June 9

Both 'The Flash' And 'Green Lantern 2' Scripts Coming In To Warner Bros By Xmas

EXCLUSIVE: I've just learned that the latest script for the Dc Comics character The Flash will be handed into Warner Bros between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green are writing the draft, and Greg Berlanti did the story with them. No word on who'll direct The Flash yet, but I can tell you it's doubtful it'll be Berlanti, even though his very different Life As We Know It came in #2 at the box office for the studio this weekend. And his freshman TV superpowers series No Ordinary Family is now ABC's most promising new drama, doing respectable business as a self-starter ew3in one of the most competitive time slots. "He won't want to direct it because he kinda wants to do something in between size-wise first before attempting something that large," an insider tells me. . . .

Nikki Finke, Deadline.com, October 10

Screenwriter Marc Guggenheim to MTV Splash Page:

GUGGENHEIM: Not to keep drawing comparisons from "Green Lantern," but it's hard not to... With "Green Lantern," what we were doing was combining a space opera with a superhero movie. Here, we’re combining a crime thriller with a superhero movie. There's also an element of a sports movie, because the character is so physical and I feel like there is an athleticism to his power that other superheroes don’t have. I think that's pretty cool.

When Barry Allen was the character, he was a science policeman. We’re obviously updating that and now he’s in forensics and CSI. The tone is sort of darker, and more like "Seven" and "Silence of the Lambs" in that mysterious and noir-ish way, which is also working in conjunction with the superhero elements. It's a lot of fun. I think the character is made for a story and a screenplay that gives you more than the sum of its parts.

‘Flash’ Standalone Film Taps Directors John Francis Daley, Jonathan Goldstein (EXCLUSIVE)
“Spider-Man: Homecoming” scribes John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein are in negotiations to direct “Flashpoint,” the Flash standalone movie starring Ezra Miller. . . .
The studio had initially courted Ben Affleck to return to the director’s chair, but he passed on the gig. By tapping Daley and Goldstein, the studio seems to eye a comedic tone for the film, given the duo’s directing background on movies like “Vacation” and the upcoming “Game Night,” starring Jason Bateman. . . .
Flashpoint” had been on hold since director Rick Famuyiwa stepped away from the project. While looking for his replacement, the studio decided to take the script in a different direction. Joby Harold has turned in a new draft after a page-one rewrite. . . .
Variety, January 16

Warner Bros. Shifts DC Strategy Amid Executive Change-Up
But the other DC movies are leaving behind the dark and brooding palette. The Flash, which will finally begin production in early 2019 with Ezra Miller starring, has abandoned the somber themes it had been expected to tackle. The film now has the Game Night team of John Francis Daly and Jonathan Goldstein on board, and it's looking to Back to the Future as a touchstone.
Hollywood Reporter, June 13