Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M. Leary

Kaurismaki please.

38 posts in this topic

"Sequel"? Does this mean the third film will be all about the "security guard" from the second film? I'm not sure I like that idea, since the first two films had no characters or plot points in common,

Life at the margins

Attendance was minimal at the screening I attended of Aki Kaurismaki's Lights in the Dusk, which played at the Gene Siskel Film Center last week (July 20-26), though somehow you suspect Kaurismaki would've wanted it that way. . . .

Pat Graham, Chicago Reader Blogs: On Film, July 27

The so-called 'Proletariat Trilogy' -- Shadows in Paradise (1986), Ariel (1988) and The Match Factory Girl (1990) -- is being released on DVD via Criterion's Eclipse label.

This thread was started more than seven years ago.

I have just returned from seeing my first Kaurismaki film.

Why did I wait so long?

Le Havre is wonderful, just wonderful. I have no idea how it compares with the director's other films, whether it's considered "minor" or whatever, but I feel like I've just cracked open a lovely, big book that contains story after story I want to read.

I'm listening to Ken's and Todd's podcast on the film right now. They have issues with a certain plot development. Now Ken is mentioning that Janus highlights the "fairy tale" aspect of the story and how to reconcile it with the very real social issue the film presents.

I have lots of reading and listening to do in learning more about this filmmaker, but what a great way to kick of my 2012 movie watching!

Edited by Christian

I'm listening to Ken's and Todd's podcast on the film right now. They have issues with a certain plot development. Now Ken is mentioning that Janus highlights the "fairy tale" aspect of the story and how to reconcile it with the very real social issue the film presents.

Hope Ken takes this the right way when I say that I laughed out loud when he -- 39 MINUTES INTO A PODCAST LAYING OUT HIS AND TODD'S PROBLEMS WITH THE FILM -- says "despite those few nits to pick, I was charmed by the film."

And then Todd adds that he, too, was charmed by the film.

Hope Ken takes this the right way when I say that I laughed out loud when he -- 39 MINUTES INTO A PODCAST LAYING OUT HIS AND TODD'S PROBLEMS WITH THE FILM -- says "despite those few nits to pick, I was charmed by the film."

And then Todd adds that he, too, was charmed by the film.

I'm just happy when anyone listens!

In my defense, the first question I asked Todd was something along the lines of why he appeared not to like the film quite as much as I did. (It was in my Top 10).

Briefly, just wanted to link to Stephanie Zacharek's final 2011 Movie Club post, which lists "five quick hits that I’m not quite ready to leave behind," concluding with (and I'll "spoiler" this, although I want people to read it and don't think it ruins the film to discuss the last shot):

5) The blossoming tree at the end of Aki Kaurismäki’s radiant Le Havre. Because sometimes, even when you’re a sadsack Finnish filmmaker, sometimes there’s God so quickly.

Edited by Christian

For those in the Los Angeles area, the New Beverly Cinema is showing a double feature of La Vie de Bohème and La Havre on April 27th and 28th.