Religious imagery in LotR page to screen

From The Journal of Religion and Popular Culture:

"A Potion too Strong?: Challenges in Translating the Religious Significance of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings to Film," by Jeffrey Mallinson

http://www.usask.ca/relst/jrpc/article-tolkien.html

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

And nice article. I think the author is exactly right that the religious significance of the books does translate to the screen, but with varying degrees of success.

FWIW, here's my piece on the religious significance of Tolkien's story and the extent to which it does, and doesn't, survive onto the screen in Jackson's films to date.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

FWIW, here's my piece on the religious significance of Tolkien's story and the extent to which it does, and doesn't, survive onto the screen in Jackson's films to date.

I've seen your article before, SDG, but I just wanted to say that it's one of the best articles on LOTR I've ever read. It should be required reading for anyone interested in the films/books and their spiritual significance.

--Diane