Why, oh why, do the FOX people finally develop a decent scripted show, then schedule it in direct opposition to our favorite reality show, The Amazing Race? To the network

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I dunno, it already seems to be settling into a formula each week. Wierd case that he doesn't want to know about. Something intriguing catches his attention. Lots of guesses. Big guess. Start treatment. Oops, wrong guess - you almost killed him. Pick and choose a few more possibilities. Hit the right one.

Now, House's misantropic dialogue is entertaining. His battle with administrator over clinic responsibilities has about run out of value though.

I see his attitude as the dark side of the kind of reclusiveness that Monk's OCD give us.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I always forget to explain that our VCR doesn't work, and we don't have TIVO... sad.gif

• 1 month later...

Amusing post in today

I always felt that way about Chicago Hope. ER consistently beat it in the ratings, but I always thought the characters on Chicago Hope were a lot more interesting.

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"

• 1 year later...

This is the best show on television right now, in my own humble opinion.

What? Is it formulatic? Sure. What show isn't? CSI--30 minutes of tracking down dead ends, 15 minutes of getting on the right track. And that's for all the CSI's.

American Idol? People sing, then people insult. Then people vote. Repeat for Dancing with the Stars, Skating with the Stars, Drinking Coffee with the Stars, etc.

Law and Order? The name is the formula. See also: Cold Case, Without a Trace, and Close To Home.

Survivor? If that has differed at all in any season, please tell me. (That being said, first season of Survivor is about as amazing as TV can get).

I can go on. So House is formulatic. Get over it. What's great about it is the fact that it has no fear. Where else would you hear someone make comments about someone based on their ethnicity (besides just about everything on Comedy Central)? Where else do you get someone that treats doctors like idiots? And their patients? What about the obvious fact that everyone DOES lie when they go into the hospital?

House isn't breaking down any new issues in the world, but it's doing what television should do--entertain with great characters and lively discussion for an hour that passes by like a couple of minutes. At least, that's what I think.

• 1 month later...

This is the best show on television right now, in my own humble opinion.

<etc>

I agree. Yes, there's a formula, but the medical stuff is of course mostly beside the point and, hey, I love a good formula! There's a reason I use the same chocolate chip cookie recipe every time.

This season has been great, and there are clearly writers on the show who are at least asking the big questions. There's been a lot of God this season, and playing with the idea of House sort of going mano-a-mano with God. In a great shot last night, House stood in the chapel pulpit to deliver news to a patient's parent. Dr. Cameron continues to be a very intriguing figure of morality and, quite possibly, grace. Wilson's friendship with House is so unusual but real. This week's 2-parter actually induced tears. I don't cry easily at TV. Hugh Laurie and the whole cast are terrific. I think this season the creators have really hit on the soul of the show and hopefully they'll keep probing around in there.

Sara Zarr

author, person.

sarazarr.com

I missed this week

Edited by Christian

• 3 weeks later...

Ughh. First time I've turned a show off in a while. I guess I'd rather have more "shocking" stories and less "shocking"

exploding body parts, particularly

that one.

Yeah, that was a bit much, but it all made perfect sense if you would have finished the ep.

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

I was in the kitchen during that part, but heard my husband screaming, "DON'T LOOK! DON'T LOOK!"

But a really good and thought-provoking season finale of a show that continues to (in my view) be more interested in the soul than most other network TV.

Sara Zarr

author, person.

sarazarr.com

Oh, but it does matter!

All of what we thought was dialog was self realization on a level we haven't yet seen from House. Basically, he had a near-death experience.

Will it change him? I liked it. The shooter could have been better, but I didn't think he sucked.

Sara Zarr

author, person.

sarazarr.com

Heheh. Maybe people with testicles weren't the target audience for that episode.

It clearly ended my audience participation. So the tongue guy was in his dream?

No

Actually yes, but I wrote "No" because if I just wrote this in spoiler text, everyone would know that it was "yes".

Scott -- 2nd Story -- Twitter

House is tormented. No joke. I needed exploding testacles and an hour long story that wasn't real to tell me that? C'mon!

Kaboom. I think that about did me in. The surgery didn't phase me as much as that nice little act break. Yuck.

• 4 months later...

Guess I'm in the minority.

I can take or leave the "yech" factor, but I thought it was pretty interesting that the made such a central change to the the character's circumstance BEFORE it got stale. So many television shows are so afraid of messing with the formula that they keep the characters flat and never evolving.

The end made me curious to see Season 3 and wondered how the characters interactions will change if/when defining features of their relationships are different.

Of course, the Season 3 pilot made me wonder whether this was a true change or just a temporary story arc. If he goes back to being in the constant pain, it will be interesting to see if he is just the same as he was before or if the temporary relief changes him (makes him MORE bitter/hopeless/hardened; makes him have a taste of something better that prompts a different attitude towards the pain, etc.).

I like that even though the plot is formulaic the characters are allowed to change and develop. Will Foreman's brush with death permanently soften him or only temporarily. How will Chase's new money problems affect him. Leonard's character actually gets a divorce rather than permanently staying as the unhappy guy trapped in the marriage. With each change we get to see how much of the way we define characters is by their circumstances and how much stays the same even when circumstances change.

Peace.

Ken

The end made me curious to see Season 3 and wondered how the characters interactions will change if/when defining features of their relationships are different.

Have you watched this season yet? It started early - there have already been 3 episodes. So far, I'm kind of disappointed. This past week's ep (with Joel Grey) was the best of the bunch, but I think the formula might be wearing on me.

Sara Zarr

author, person.

sarazarr.com

Have you watched this season yet? It started early - there have already been 3 episodes. So far, I'm kind of disappointed. This past week's ep (with Joel Grey) was the best of the bunch, but I think the formula might be wearing on me.

I've seen only the first episode in Season 3 (the other two are on DVR).

Yes, I was a bit disappointed as well. It seemed like they left themselves an out (the pain could come back at any time), which made me suspect they will quickly go back to the formula after milking the humor out of the role-reversals. I hope that's not the case, but it is what I fear.

As an aside, I thought the end of the first episode made no sense character wise and was somewhat poor writing for a series that's usually about smart people. Why would Cuttey (sp?) choose a procedure that had no down side (the shot) as a place to draw the line? To not tell him makes no sense either; he would find out (if the characters are consistent to seasons 1 and 2) and the effectiveness of not telling him would be totally negated. Also, the message that would be sent is "we are not going to let you test any unorthodox diagnosis" rather than "we are not going to let you do any dangerous procedures without some evidence."

I really thought at the end that the patient was going to die and that we were going to find out that House's increasingly dangerous procedures were a form of physician assisted suicide (after the conversation with the wife in which he asked her if she wanted to take care of him, etc.). Now THAT would have been a gutsy development and totally in keeping with the character--and done in such a way that there would be no way to prove what he did because each thing had a legit medical reason/possibility to back it up, even if it was a low probability one.

Peace.

Ken

:spoilers: (sort of, but not really)

As an aside, I thought the end of the first episode made no sense character wise and was somewhat poor writing for a series that's usually about smart people.

<etc>

Yes, exactly. That particular conflict felt very forced and contrived, and I HATE it when shows do that. It continues into episode 2.

I also feel like episodes 1 & 2 of this season didn't use the secondary characters to their fullest. Those two episodes mostly involved Chase, Foreman, and Cameron casting each other their "oh that crazy House" glances. Wilson's behavior has been interesting. I don't believe he's doing it for House's best interest or the patient's, but because there's an undercurrent of jealousy for Wilson in House as a doctor. His decision, to me, was not so much about trying to save House from believing himself God, but to actually take House down a peg or two because it can be hard to have a best friend who is always right in such dramatic ways, in your very profession.

and that we were going to find out that House's increasingly dangerous procedures were a form of physician assisted suicide

That is basically episode 3, the Joel Grey episode and best episode of the season thus far, which also contains very interetsing developments for Chase and Cameron. (For some reason Foreman is getting neglected thus far. Sometimes I think there are two many characters.) Watch it!

Sara Zarr

author, person.

sarazarr.com