Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Christmas: What Books Did You Get?

The A-Z of Art: a paperback compendium of famous artists, with brief, one-page summaries of their importance, and a reproduction of one of their more famous works. A good starting point for people trying to learn about different artists, and what separates one from another. Found it at the Borders sale rack, for $4.99.

Live From New York, by Tom Shales and James Miller: A history of Saturday Night Live, as told by its cast members. I wanted to buy this book two years ago when it was new, but I was out of work at the time. I spent a good hour or so standing in a Barnes and Noble back then, reading the sections that most interested me, and wishing I owned the book as a reference, even though I hardly ever watch the show these days. I recently discovered the hardback priced at $5.99 at Borders, so I bought it and gave it to myself for Christmas.

The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD (Seventh Edition): I was delighted to happen upon the new edition of the Penguin jazz guide at a local bookstore, during a visit to return a gift that my wife and I had inadvertently bought for each other. Since I had some Christmas money to spend, I ponied up for this guide, which is the best jazz guide on the market. (I own the fourth edition, published in 1998, but so many records have gone in and out of print in the intervening years that it was time for an updated guide.) I supplemented my purchase with Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil (RVG Remaster -- sorry Thom! blush.gif), but hey, that's for the music thread I'm about to start.

The Works of Benjamin B. Warfield: 10 volumes from a masterful theologian. I'm not sure where to begin. And thankfully, I won't have to anytime soon. But these volumes, full of wisdom, will be there over the years as a reference and encouragement.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Reading the Vampire Slayer, 2nd edition, ed. Roz Kaveney. The introduction and appendices cover Buffy seasons 1-7 and Angel seasons 1-4, and the revised or added essays are definitely superior to those in the first edition. My only gripe is that it lacks really useful documentation on the academic side, but still worthwhile. Yes, I admit this was a present I gave myself.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

A Year With C.S. Lewis, Daily Readings from His Classic Works

The Last Apostle, Sigmund Brouwer and Hank Hanegraaff

The Complete Peanuts set, 1950-1954 (OK, I gave this one to myself)

Well, y'all know about the sex books ... in addition to that, there was:

Danny Fields, Linda McCartney: A Portrait

Mark Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Adam Nicolson, God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp - The Midnight Eye To New Japanese Film (I've only read bits and pieces of it, but so far, it's been fascinating.)

Two volumes of Rurouni Kenshin

Shusaku Endo - Silence (I loved The Samurai and I'm very excited to start delving into this one.)

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Bob Dylan's Chronicles ... the audiobook, read by Sean Penn.

Dan Buck, I think you need to go back and read the title of the book you received again....

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

Shusaku Endo - Silence (I loved The Samurai and I'm very excited to start delving into this one.)

I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I was given a copy of this years ago, and have felt it looming over me ever since. I'm sure I ought to read it, but I've never felt excited about it. Maybe you can change my mind?

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Never mind, Beth, Reading Angel is just a few months away!

I got Colloquial Portugeese of Brazil (a language course so specific I had to applaud) and several Rough Guides to various parts of the world. No prizes for guessing my plans post June.

I did also get the semi-fictional Crippen which is a thoroughly excellent read. Shame about the silly cover, though.

Phil.

"We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

"We don't do perms!" - Trevor and Simon

Guest stu

I also got Chronicles. It will sit next to my other books with 'Dylan' on the spine. Of which there are many. And I stole a copy of Moltmann's The Crucified God from my mother. She has recently morphed from a teacher into a theologian, and so now has good books lying around.

Have you read The curious incident of the dog... yet, Peter? A couple of hours should do it, I think. I loved it. I dare anyone to read this and not love it.

Edited by stu

Robert Johnston, Useless Beauty

Richard Walsh, Reading the Gospels in the Dark

Brian Godawa, Hollywood Worldviews

Marcus Borg, The God We Never Knew

Barbara Brown Taylor, When God Is Silent

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I didn't get any for Christmas, but being away meant the chance to check out a couple of 2nd hand book shops and I was very pleased to swoop up both a DeMille Biography (Higham's which I've cited, before, but now I can quote) and Scorcese on Scorcese - which I can't wait to get stuck into.

: Well, y'all know about the sex books ...

Actually I didn't

Have you read The curious incident of the dog... yet, Peter? A couple of hours should do it, I think. I loved it. I dare anyone to read this and not love it.

I'll second that.

: Reading the Gospels in the Dark

Read that last year - would be great if you would post on the existing thread when you have some!

Matt

Robert Johnston, Useless Beauty

I was about to buy this, then I found it in the library, so I checked it out instead and have been reading it ever since. It's remarkably good, isn't it? The kind of book that not only confirms my admiration for some films & film-makers I already admired, but also makes me want to re-view movies I'd thought were not that special, and makes me want to see movies I'd dismissed.

The Politics of Jesus, John Howard Yoder

A Refutation of Moral Relativism (or some similarly dreary title for what looks like an entertaining book), Peter Kreeft (my first Kreeft book)

(You should see the ACTUAL gift books I traded in to get these. One was From Hell, the graphic novel on which the recent Johnny Depp film was based ... a faint morbid interest in Jack the Ripper does not equate to a desire to read THAT book. Another was a collection of Joseph Brodsky's Nativity poems

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

I received:

Ancient-Future Time by Robert Webber

A set of 3 books by Charles Swindoll

I purchased:

Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller

The Theology of John Calvin by Karl Barth

I've got to save some of the gift certificates I received for school book purchases, however.