Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TRON

132 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

--content deleted--

Posted · Report post

My theory --- this is a low blow from Disney aimed at Pixar. John Lasseter's dream has been for Pixar to make the sequel to the original Tron. Now suddenly Disney's remaking the franchise on their own. When I read this news this morning, I started looking around to see if anybody's taking this angle on the story, but haven't seen it yet.

Posted · Report post

Hmmm, can't recall if we had a thread on this film before -- it ain't easy to figure that sort of thing out, when the search engine doesn't accept titles with less than five letters.

Anyhoo, link to my review of the 20th-anniversary Tron and E.T. DVDs, and link to an earlier one-post thread, two message boards ago, on the film's soundtrack.

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: My theory --- this is a low blow from Disney aimed at Pixar.

Interesting!

: John Lasseter's dream has been for Pixar to make the sequel to the original Tron.

Doesn't surprise me -- he IS one of the people interviewed in the DVD's making-of. But does he therefore want to mix live action with his CGI work? THAT would be a bold new step for Pixar.

Incidentally, apparently it was the people we now know as Pixar who created the 'Genesis Planet' sequence in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982), which came out the same year as Tron; back then they were a branch of George Lucas's ILM, I think. 'Twas a landmark year for CGI work. And I was just talking to a friend of mine last night about The Last Starfighter (1984), which used a Kray computer, I think, for all the CGI space-battle scenes; whereas Tron used CGI to create a purely inside-the-computer kind of environment, The Last Starfighter used CGI to simulate "real" things -- and that was over 20 years ago!

Posted · Report post

Hopefully they can get this guy to do the costumes. laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

You had to go and unleash him, didn't you?

Sigh.

JG will not be pleased.

Posted · Report post

Is it just me, or does that dude in the costume look a lot like a certain Christian film critic... bluehaironend.gif

Posted · Report post

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: Is it just me, or does that dude in the costume look a lot like a certain Christian

: film critic... bluehaironend.gif

Fun-NEE! (That is, if you mean who I think you mean! smile.gif )

Posted · Report post

Peter:

And I was just talking to a friend of mine last night about The Last Starfighter (1984), which used a Kray computer, I think, for all the CGI space-battle scenes;

Are you sure that wasn't a Cray computer? You may be right, but I've never heard of a Kray computer before.

Posted · Report post

Darryl A. Armstrong wrote:

: Are you sure that wasn't a Cray computer?

You're right, I must have gotten it mixed up in my mind with a Kaypro or something.

Posted · Report post

I actually went to a film fancy dress party where a guy had made this outfit. It was hilarious. He looked a lot better than the guy shown as well(FWIW I went as Wayne from Wayne's World)

Matt

Posted · Report post

New 'Tron' races on

Commercial director Joseph Kosinski is in final negotiations to develop and direct "Tron," described as "the next chapter" of Disney's 1982 cult classic. Sean Bailey is producing via the Live Planet banner, as is Steven Lisberger, who co-wrote and directed the original film. Kosinski, who last month signed on to helm the remake of "Logan's Run" for Warner Bros. Pictures, will oversee the visual development of the project and have input on the script, which is being written by "Lost" scribes Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. Story details are being kept secret.

Hollywood Reporter, September 11

Could TRON 2 Actually Be Happening?

According to Jeff [bridges], he's being pitched an idea for the sequel pretty soon. He didn't say what the idea was or who was involved...but he did say the reasons he might want to do it is the innovations to cinema.

Collider.com, November 15

Posted · Report post

A 3D Tron sequel may drop in 2011, says AICN.

Posted · Report post

I dunno... I thought the first TRON worked pretty well as a self-contained unit. I'm not sure how a sequel would do.

Posted · Report post

I wanna see this!!

At the other end of the technological-development scale, be sure to check out this "Sweded" version, too.

Posted · Report post

MTV Movies Blog and ComingSoon.net have even more details about the test footage shown ... and about the TWO characters played by Jeff Bridges therein.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Peter,

ACT FAST.

Here's your teaser.

"I have chills." - Jeff Bridges, The Fisher King

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

Overstreet wrote:

: Peter,

: ACT FAST.

: Here's your teaser.

Thanks! There was nothing there when I clicked on it, but a quick search for "tr2n" turned up another version.

Not sure what I think of this, yet. Lord knows my own experiences playing Light Cycles would have gone So Much Better if I had been able to just stop the bike once in a while, instead of being obliged to make sometimes dodgy twists and turns because my bike Simply Wouldn't Stop. So an aspect of the original concept seems to be lost, there. Or maybe the teaser acknowledges this when the characters say it's "not [a game] any more"?

The simplicity of the original film's design is also lacking here, of course; the temptation to add entirely new levels of detail -- bikes bumping into each other a la the chariots in Ben-Hur, etc. -- is a difficult one to avoid. But then, that's kind of fitting, I guess, since the video games and computer games of today are nowhere near as simple as the video games of 1982. But have video games become so complex today that the Tron concept even WORKS any more, I wonder?

Definitely interested in seeing what they do with this, though. Especially (or even) if they take the messianism of the original film and turn it on its head by having Flynn's godlike powers go to his head.

Posted · Report post

GAME OVER for TRON's first director

Guess who's the real power-behind-the-throne (The Master Control Program, if you will) on this particular Walt Disney Pictures production? Would you believe John Lasseter? . . .

But as for that movie's storyline ... Lasseter wasn't really a fan. He felt that Lisberger had missed some obvious opportunities to create a truly compelling piece of entertainment. Something that would have touched an audience's emotions as it dazzled their eyes.

Which is why -- even though Steve (i.e. "TRON" 's original director & co-writer) has spent the past five years developing a script for a sequel -- none of that material will now be used in the production of "TR2N." . . .

Jim Hill Media, July 31

Posted · Report post

'Tron 2.0' has its first two players

Olivia Wilde and Beau Garrett are the first to sign on for "Tron 2.0," the sequel to the 1982 Disney cult classic being directed by Joseph Kosinski. . . .

The new movie is acting as a "next chapter." Plot details are being guarded closely, but Wilde will play a worker in the virtual world who tries to help fight Master Control Program, the villainous intelligence protocol that was the nemesis in the original film.

Garrett will play a siren in the virtual world. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, December 15

- - -

Note: the Reporter calls the sequel 'Tron 2.0', but Variety calls it 'Tr2n' still. And a couple weeks ago, Production Weekly was reportedly calling it 'TRZ'.

Posted · Report post

Hmmm.

More actual sets on this film than there were on the first film? To make the inside of the computer feel "as real as possible"?

As for the new lead actor ... hmmm. I just happened to watch Troy again a few nights ago, and he plays Patroclus (i.e. Achilles' best friend, or "cousin" as the movie has it) in that film. Apparently he was also in Four Brothers as one of the, uh, four brothers (he was the only brother who wasn't played by a current or former rap star). I can't remember which character he was in Eragon.

Posted · Report post

Daft Punk will be writing the score for Tron 2.0 (or whatever they're calling it these days). Which strikes me as an obvious though still pretty inspired choice.

Posted · Report post

Ain't It Cool News has a purported plot synopsis. Among other things, it is claimed that the story will begin in 1989, with Flynn as the father of a 7-year-old boy. Hmmm, 1989 was 7 years after 1982, which is when the original Tron came out (and presumably took place). Who's the mother?

Or have they completely rewritten the timeline of the first film, just like e.g. Terminator 3: The Rise of the Machines did?

Posted · Report post

Below, part one of a three-part interview with Don Bluth, Ralph Bakshi and Larry Elin that appeared on TV back in 1982, discussing the nature and future of animation with Studs Terkel and Calvin Trillin.

At the time of this interview, Bluth had just directed The Secret of NIMH, the first of his several serious challenges to the floundering Disney studio. (This was one year after The Fox and the Hound and three years before The Black Cauldron.)

But the reason I'm putting this here, in this thread, is because Elin had just worked on Tron, and so there is some discussion of the nature of computer animation and how it differs from classical animation (Bluth, I think, says the clip from Tron consists of "moving hardware around" and isn't really "animation", and Elin agrees that computer animation can't do proper character animation, at least nothing more complex than a giant 3-D Pac-man). Both Bluth and Elin also say that the narrative in Tron wasn't really involving in any way, as though it were nothing more than a special-effects display. But Terkel, at least, seems to find the new technology kind of fascinating.

So the interview offers a bit of a peek into how this movie was perceived -- embraced and resisted -- in its day.