Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

What films would you like an opportunity to see?

: Sorry to say, they have been playing it steadily on BBC

: for the past month or so.

I actually saw that when my wife and I were in London for a couple days in November. I was flipping through the British stations while my wife was getting dressed, and there, on (I think) Channel Four, was "Act Without Words II" (which I'd seen before and thus recognized). The next day, about the same time, they showed "Julianne Moore's Mouth" (aka "Not I"). That was so cool -- I can't imagine any over-the-air American television station showing films remotely that experimental.

Dale

They don't show them late either, I think most of them have been prime-timish. I am surely missing something from not seeing them on the large screen, but by and large I appreciated seeing them. BBC is amazing. They showed The Five Obstructions the other night, last month they showed a few Godard's and Truffaut's, it is pretty amazing what passes for "TV" over here.

Raise the Red Lantern: I think there's a region 0 DVD out there known as the "Mandarin version," but I've heard it's not high-quality, and it's not readily available.

I just picked up a region 0 DVD of this from YesAsia about a week and a half ago. I haven't watched it yet so I can't comment on the quality, but I think YesAsia definitely counts as "readily available."

I'll probably edit this post after I watch the film (tonight?) and make a statement about the quality of the DVD copy I ended up with.

Oh, thanks for the tip! I'd only checked Netflix, who doesn't even list it as an upcoming release.

Jeffrey, you knew Since Otar Left is coming out this week on DVD, yes? If I had room on my list, I could've easily added it; it's very good.

rathmadder, Miramax has the rights to The Best of Youth but, as they often do, they're just sitting on it. I want to see it, too.

Casshern

Battle Royale

Go Fish Pictures recently acquired the rights to Casshern, so it should be arriving in the States later this year. As for Battle Royale, good luck. I know that several American distributors have tried to purchase the domestic rights, but last I heard, the Japanese studio had turned them all down out of fear for any controversy that might arise. However, there are all-region NTSC copies floating around (AznFilms has one for $27), so it's not impossible to get. But don't expect a theatrical release anytime soon.

Just got a screener copy of Last Life In The Universe yesterday, along with a few others (Purple Butterfly, Dolls, and Bright Future). Popped it in and watched the first 5 minutes or so, and was absolutely enthralled. Pressing "Stop" required an act of sheer willpower. I don't want to build people's expectations up too high, but you people are really in for a treat (IMHO).

Casshern

Battle Royale

Go Fish Pictures recently acquired the rights to Casshern, so it should be arriving in the States later this year.

YesAsia is selling the region 3 HK DVD of Casshern for $15, if any other region-freers are interested.

I saw a banner for Last Life in the Universe the other day and had a very very strong desire to see the movie, so that goes high on my list of films I'd like an opportunity to see. The new Tony Jaa film also looks intriguing, so that goes on the list.

I saw a banner for Last Life in the Universe the other day and had a very very strong desire to see the movie, so that goes high on my list of films I'd like an opportunity to see.  The new Tony Jaa film also looks intriguing, so that goes on the list.

You can find a trailer here.

And yes, put me down for the Jaa flick as well.

One that I forgot to add, and have been curious about for quite a while, is Peter Greenaway's The Baby of Macon. For years, the script was available at many bookstores but the movie itself never made the circuit of art-houses. From what I've read of others who have seen it in the U.S., because of the lack of available prints, most prints that have popped up in North America are subtitled in French (apparently France was one country where this movie played well). According to IMDb, there aren't any copies of this film distributed on DVD or VHS available in the U.S., U.K., or Canada.

Has anyone here had the opportunity to see this? I understand that it is quite horrific - one review I read said that it made Greenaway's The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover look like Babe in comparison.

If you live in the Washington, D.C., area, starting today you can see:

Born Into Brothels

Bride & Prejudice

Leopard

Travellers & Magicians

Have to say I'm lucky in that the last town I was at had a wonderful independent cinema that is a bit of an institution and the town I am currently in has the largest independent cinema in the UK.

Now that I missed films out of sheer laziness and ineptitude is a different matter.

Jeffrey, you knew  Since Otar Left is coming out this week on DVD, yes?  If I had room on my list, I could've easily added it; it's very good.

Otar got pushed out by a few other titles at last year's FilmFest D.C. (coming up again in April ... I gotta check the Web site), and I missed it during its two-week theatrical run later in 2004.

BUT ... I just found out that I won a DVD copy through my local Landmark Theater's weekly DVD contest! I have to make it into D.C. to pick up the prize ... but I hope to use that "chore" to finagle a night out at the movies.

In addition to seeing my alltime favorite film, West Side Story, I'd also love to see Bonnie and Clyde, the Aviator, and the James Bond Movies, and NOT on DVD or VHS, either.

Whit Stillman's Metropolitan, still only available on VHS, according to IMDb, and not anywhere I can get to it. OK, I haven't tried ILL yet...

Also, The Last Days of Disco, which apparently is available on DVD, but not from Netflix. Guess I'll try requesting it and see what happens.

Whit Stillman's Metropolitan, still only available on VHS, according to IMDb, and not anywhere I can get to it.  OK, I haven't tried ILL yet...

Also, The Last Days of Disco, which apparently is available on DVD, but not from Netflix.  Guess I'll try requesting it and see what happens.

As far as I know, Last Days of Disco is out of print. And I hope you find Metropolitan. I saw it on VHS just a few weeks ago and found it to be quite charming.

The Decay of Fiction

Wisconsin Death Trip

La Roue

Violettes imp

My case is that there's a lot of Fassbinder that I want to watch that is on DVD, but either the available version doesn't look good or the preferred version is out of print. (Criterion BRD Trilogy box, I'm looking at you.) If anybody is knowledgable, should I take a plunge or wait? Or should I consider backtracking to VHS for these — that's always a cheaper option on Amazon.

Now this is inexcusable.

Alain Resnais made a time-travel film and got Krzysztof Penderecki to score. Why does this not have a Region 1 DVD?

Edited by Kinch

Now this is inexcusable.

Alain Resnais made a time-travel film and got Krzysztof Penderecki to score. Why does this not have a Region 1 DVD?

I was lucky enough to see this on 35 mm back in May. Well worth it. Hoping that the travelling print means that someone is working on a Blu-ray release.

Now this is inexcusable.

I was lucky enough to see this on 35 mm back in May. Well worth it. Hoping that the travelling print means that someone is working on a Blu-ray release.

I so fervently hope you're right.