Oscars 2005: Short Film (Animated)

"A short film is defined as a motion picture that is not more than 40 minutes in running time (including all credits)."

"An animated film usually falls into one of the two general fields of animation: character or abstract. Some of the techniques of animating films include cel animation, computer animation, stop-motion, clay animation, puppets, pixilation, cutouts, pins, camera multiple pass imagery, kaleidoscopic effects and drawing on the film frame itself."

If anyone is fortunate enough to attend, The Gene Siskel Arts Center in Chicago always makes sure to offer opportunity to see the animated and live-action shorts before the night of the Oscars. This year they have the event on the calendar three times between February 25 and March 3.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Darn it, I was under the weather this past weekend and missed my chance to see Ryan at the 'theque (playing before a couple of Bergman films, believe it or not.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Well, whaddayaknow, the Pacific Cinematheque has decided to extend Ryan's run and to show the film before the second half of all their Ingmar Bergman double-bills until Monday.

So, I saw Ryan tonight, and it's interesting -- in some ways it's more of a 3-D CGI documentary than a "cartoon". It's about a Canadian, Ryan Larkin, who had a brief career as an animator some 30-plus years ago -- he even directed an Oscar-nominated animated short in 1969 (the award went to Disney's It's Tough to Be a Bird) -- but has spent the past number of years panhandling in the streets of Montreal; and the film is based on audio interviews with Larkin conducted by the new film's director (with perhaps some of the animation being based on video footage?). (Hmmm, apparently another short film about Larkin was produced last year...) Interesting distortions of the human form, here.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 weeks later...

Click here to watch Ryan.