Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

New Coldplay album postponed

Quoting myself here:

I stopped in Rubato Records tonight to look around, and heard Coldplay for the first time on the in-store sound system. My quick impression: Start with U2 circa October or Boy. Then give Bono a frontal lobotomy so that he can't emote. Next, throw in a piano. You might need to throw it directly at Bono in case the lobotomy doesn't slow him down enough. Voila

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Quoting myself here:

I stopped in Rubato Records tonight to look around, and heard Coldplay for the first time on the in-store sound system. My quick impression: Start with U2 circa October or Boy. Then give Bono a frontal lobotomy so that he can't emote. Next, throw in a piano. You might need to throw it directly at Bono in case the lobotomy doesn't slow him down enough. Voila

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Good to know, although restraint in pop music is a funny thing: I often wish those who display it would let themselves go once in a while, whereas I wish those who don't display it would just go away.

But then, you're talking to a guy who never misses a chance to listen to something besides whatever's hip.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

With Coldplay, Snow Patrol etc... it's not so much an issue of restraint as it is a desperate lack of testosterone.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Guest stu

I'm always surprised that people dislike Coldplay on here - I'm not a huge fan, but I've always thought they write good enough songs to forgive them their U2/Radiohead-ness. I don't own either album, but 'Politik' struck me as a superb song and fairly brave move for the opening of a second album with so much resting on it. There are moments on Rush of Blood... that are a bit watery, but on the whole I can't fault it.

But as for Snow Patrol.... you may have a point there. They seem to have been specially designed by whoever it is to tread water until the new Coldplay album is out.

Edited by stu

Truth be told, I really liked Parachutes when it first came out... Thought it was a promising, "little" album. But Rush of Blood is an overblown, anemic mess, with some of the dopiest lyrics of any brit-pop group i've heard.

A much better group, in that radiohead-lite vein, are Doves...

Completely unrelated... well sort of... I was thinking of how many "indie"-hip bands there are out there that have absolutely zero testosterone, that just blather and whine away with nothing to jolt the ol' ticker etc.... Well, I just listened to the new Kings of Leon single yesterday, The Bucket and it floored me. Great song, major attitude and guaranteed to make your nipples hard. Gotta buy this thing when it comes out on Tuesday

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Guest stu

I thought it was already out. I've got a copy anyway. 'Tis very good indeed, especially 'Taper Jean Girl', although lyrically sometimes it's not that great. And I agree - 'The Bucket' is great.

Saw the Doves at Glastonbury Festival a couple of years ago, and they were kind of ok, but it was raining, and I kept getting my head kicked by crowd surfers and punched by the security guards lifting them out. Plus, I'd seen Radiohead and REM headline on the previous nights, so they had a lot to live up to. And I got in to the whole thing free. Ha!

You folks in the UK get everything before us! I think the official US release date is the 22nd... anyway I sent my wife to buy it this morning and that's what they told her. I'm really surprised by what I've heard from this album, because I wasn't a big fan of Youth and Young Manhood... To me it was just one more group of young poseurs, reviving that 70's southern-rock/trailer park thing. (To my taste, My Morning Jacket did it best on At Dawn) But KOL's new one sounds like it is definintely taking that vibe in a totally new direction... AND Caleb seems to have developed a very unique rock n roll voice.

BTW, have you heard the new Soundtrack of Our Lives album, Origin 1? I know it was released last year across the pond... we gotta wait till spring over here.

With Coldplay, Snow Patrol etc... it's not so much an issue of restraint as it is a desperate lack of testosterone.

I'm always surprised that people dislike Coldplay on here - I'm not a huge fan, but I've always thought they write good enough songs to forgive them their U2/Radiohead-ness. I don't own either album, but 'Politik' struck me as a superb song and fairly brave move for the opening of a second album with so much resting on it. There are moments on Rush of Blood... that are a bit watery, but on the whole I can't fault it.

Guys, I might be suffering from what Christian mentioned on one of the film threads - i.e., being exposed to crappy music for so long, I've lost the ability to discern excellence. But it seems unnecessary to tool on Coldplay when there's so much genuinely crappy, testosterone-lacking pop/rock out there (I'm talking to you John Mayer, Train, Matchbox 20, Five for Fighting and all your minions). Stu is spot-on in his Rush of Blood assessment, I think - in places it's overwrought, overproduced and derivative, but overall pretty solid, and the band at least aspires to something more than most of their peers.

Now, I'll admit my total ignorance of Snow Patrol ...

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Guest stu

Don't trouble yourself over Snow Patrol. They released a really good single called 'Run', a really immediate, instant epic, but the album is frustratingly sludgy and lifeless, I reckon. They've been around for a while (lead singer was involved with The Reindeer Section), but their latest album was promoted like anything, probably because it sounds a bit like Coldplay. Who, I agree, are good.

By the way, don't know if anyone's come across Athlete? British band, started off with a genuinely interesting, quirky pop debut, not really like much else, but have now released a more Snow Patrol/Coldplay-esque album (apparently). Anyway, they would definitely fit in with the thing Jeffrey referred to as 'the wall coming down', i.e. they're known to be Christians, but have mananged to attract a mainstream audience without making much fuss about it.

The new Coldplay album has a cover:

Neat.... stylish.

To comment on some comments made here... there is one quality inherent in all of Coldplay's albums: Balance. In my opinion, they strike exactly the right balance between tonal oversimplicity and overcrowded layers of sound. In addition to that, I find their lyrics evocative and thoughtful. But maybe thats just me....

About time they release a new album --- Parachutes and Rush definitely exceeded their half-life for me. Listened to them countless times. Oh wait -- how about putting on Amsterdam right now? wink.gif

Edited by Pat

That Coldplay album cover somehow reminds me of the new Stereophonics album cover. I'm not sure why, as they're nothing alike aside from the bright colors.

I have to count myself among Coldplay's fans, although I can certainly understand the criticism that Chris Martin can be a bit mopey and uninspired at times. However, they have written some great songs and when they shine, they really shine. "Amsterdam" has to be one of the greatest album closers since "Love is Blindness." (And no, I'm not one of those folks who thinks Coldplay will become "the next U2"... there will NEVER be another U2!)

Anyone catch the five star review for X&Y in the latest ish of Paste? (its not on the site yet) Of course I havent heard it yet so I can't judge, but I do find the "U-who?" and better-than-Abbey-Road comparisons to be just a little hard to swallow.

Some great points, Jeff. If Chris Martin ever wants to get near the lesser glories of the Lennon-McCartney canon, perhaps he and his bandmates should venture outside of their repetitive I-IV progressions. Coldplay will probably go the route of Oasis, eventually... IMO. The two bands actually have a lot in common. Namely, a goofy preoccupation with being the "world's greatest band" and a penchant for derivative melodies that seem to loop incessantly.

There. That will be my last, official Coldplay rant until I listen to the new album.

(BTW... I think Paste is notoriously generous with their album reviews. See nearly every four star review that litters the mag for proof... Like Low's last album... 4 1/2 stars??? Huh?)

Edited by coltrane

Guest stu

I expect to be pleasantly surprised by how quite-good the new Coldplay album is, if that makes any sense.

But I don't think Oasis comparisons are fair just yet. The new Oasis album is rubbish, and I haven't even heard it. Except one song, which was just 'Golden Brown' by the Stranglers.

Sorry that was a bit nasty wasn't it? (I'm leaving it in though)

Anyone catch the five star review for X&Y  in the latest ish of Paste? (its not on the site yet) Of course I havent heard it yet so I can't judge, but I do find the "U-who?" and better-than-Abbey-Road comparisons to be just a little hard to swallow.

Groan.

To me, that review was the most frustrating and bewildering piece ever published in the usually-excellent Paste. The "U-Who?" title, the references to Coldplay dismantling U2's atomic bomb, the fact that the reviewer talks about Coldplay lifting ideas from U2 as if it's a good thing... any excitement I may have had about the album has totally died now, as it's becoming clearer and clearer that Coldplay is indeed a lousy U2 knockoff.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Rolling Stone gives X&Y a so-so 3 star rating (they gave A Rush of Blood to the Head 4 stars).

And on another note, RS predictably lavishes praise on the new White Stripes album, with 4 1/2 stars.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, coltrane mentioned the 5-star review from Paste. What did Paste think of the new White Stripes? 2 1/2 stars.

I caught a little heat from a friend at a party last week over my lack of enthusiasm for Coldplay. I was nice, so I only asked him how the new album compares to the other two. He claimed it was better than those, and he and went on to say, "It's one of the best albums I've ever heard!" Hmm...I'm very skeptical.

So, who's heard this? Am I missing out on something great?

I really like this album, but I am an unashamed fan of Coldplay. It's could be their best album; clearly better than A Rush of Blood To The Head, but time will tell if I end up listening to it more than Parachutes. Too many of the songs on Rush sounded the same, and not in the sense that they are clearly "Coldplay songs," but in that they were hard to differentiate. That problem is absent on X&Y, and some of them are real gems: "Fix You" builds to a majestic finish; "Talk" has a nice little Kraftwerk sample; "Swallowed By the Sea" is classic Coldplay, in a good way; and the "hidden track," "Kingdom Come" is possibly the best thing on the album in its simplicity and beauty. Chris Martin's lyrics are still simplisticly introverted, but his voice has never been better.

However, if you're not a Coldplay fan, and you can't get over the fact that they've built a career on the piggyback of U2 and Radiohead, then this probably ain't going to win you over. If you are a, even slight, fan, you'll probably really enjoy it.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

...could be their best album; clearly better than A Rush of Blood To The Head, but time will tell if I end up listening to it more than Parachutes. Too many of the songs on Rush sounded the same, and not in the sense that they are clearly "Coldplay songs," but in that they were hard to differentiate. That problem is absent on X&Y, and some of them are real gems...

Reverse your descriptions of each album and you've got my opinion. Not that I don't like this latest venture, but no song on X&Y stands out as immediately as they did for me while first listening to ARoBttH.