Sign in to follow this  
Russ

The "lunch" I just had

I unwittingly picked up these three junk food items for makeshift lunch in the lobby's lottery/newspaper/sandwich stand:

Hot and spicy peanuts

Peanut butter cookies

Reese's peanut butter cups

The clerk said, "Wow, I guess you like peanut butter." I hadn't realized it. Yeah, I guess so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to Baja Fresh and got the "Side by Side" chicken and ensalada.

Just 5 net carbs. Woo-hoo!!

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Best new thread this week...

A real nutritious, adult menu today--Peanut Butter and Jelly on *fresh* white bread with Ruffles sour cream & cheddar chips... And an ice cold Diet Coke.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

A double Americano with a splash of half-and-half.

I MUST derail this thread, but this ... THIS is important!

Please define "splash" in the above statement, especially because you dwell in the coffee capital of North America.

See, I have a problem with the amount of cream people add to their coffee. I'm no purist; I do use cream. And sweetener (the fake stuff, too ... the pink stuff most of the time; hey, don't knock it).

But, again, it's the amount of cream I'm concerned about.

Jeffrey uses a "splash," which sounds reasonable, although that's a very loose term.

What concerns me is the following phrase, usually phrased as a question by Starbucks baristas anytime I order a drink: "Room for cream?"

I always pause to weigh the odds. I use cream, but dangit, their coffee is expensive, and if I say "Yes," they're going to leave -- I kid you not, and you all know it's true -- at least an inch of room for cream!

Now, I ask you: Who puts THAT MUCH cream in their coffee? Apparently many people do. Maybe even most people -- or most Starbucks customers -- because I'm the only one who ever bothers to say, "Ummm, could you top that off for me, please?" And afterward, I still always have enough room for cream.

So, let's pledge to Fight the Power -- the power of Starbucks. What other chain is "kind" enough to post a notice whenever the price of coffee beans goes up, telling us that, goshdarnit, Starbucks just has to raise its prices accordingly, and then, when prices dip back down, never posts about how they're passing the savings back to their customers?

I'm getting off-topic. I'm not anti-Starbucks. I love the place. I just wonder why people don't demand a little bit more for their money spent on coffee drinks there. When I ask for an Americano, and I ask for "room for cream," I still want my cup filled, please.

And if you don't agree with me 100%, you're part of the problem.

Time to get my evening cup of joe, so I'll be alert during my Systematic Theology class tonight.

I'm goin' to Dunkin' Donuts.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I also enjoyed a Ceasar salad for lunch today...(diverging from topic)...on my way home from my initial foray in the world of jewelry and engagement rings.

w00t.gif

wink.gif

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

I had four...whole...fried chickens. And dry white toast.

Actually, I had a Chipotle Burrito Bol with the marinated steak, lettuce, black beans, rice, the severed head of Alan Funt, spicy salsa, guacamole and a sprinkle of cheese. And a diet Coke.

[iNSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Went to Memphis Restaurant in Costa Mesa after picking my wife up at John Wayne Airport. I had 1/2 of a pulled pork sandwich, 1/2 of a beet salad (mostly arugala with some beets and goat cheese), and part of my wife's apple/blueberry cobbler. Washed down with diet coke.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I had four...whole...fried chickens. And dry white toast.

Actually, I had a Chipotle Burrito Bol with the marinated steak, lettuce, black beans, rice, the severed head of Alan Funt, spicy salsa, guacamole and a sprinkle of cheese. And a diet Coke.

Mmmmmmm... Alan Funt. user posted image

Jason:

: Actually, I had a Chipotle Burrito Bol with the marinated

: steak, lettuce, black beans, rice, the severed head of

: Alan Funt, spicy salsa, guacamole and a sprinkle of

: cheese. And a diet Coke.

Dude. For lunch today, I had a Chipotle burrito with carnitas, pinto beans, a little bit of rice (should have gotten more; it was better than usual) and cheese. And a Mr. Pibb.

This is the greatest thread ever.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

(returns from lobby)

Variation on a Theme, Occasioned by Things Being Sold Out

Planters Honey Roasted Peanuts

Reese's SnackBarz (not sure why it's plural; have not tried this before)

Twix (peanut butter variety)

Coca-Cola

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya'll are carb craaaaazy.

I had a salad. Same thing I have pretty much every day, unless I have cold-cut roll-ups (no bread, thank you).

You folks eat healthy, mostly.

I haven't had lunch today, but a few days ago I had, I think, a bag of Cheetos and a Butterfinger bar, followed by a Dr. Pepper.

Luckily, that's now the exception rather than the rule. I did manage to go nearly two full years of high school with that as my lunch, though. Didn't gain weight, either, till I left marching band.

Subtlety is underrated

Leftover potato/carrot/buffalo-meat yumminess from the crockpot.

It turns out that, as far as meat goes, buffalo provide a rather sustainable and healthy option.

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

I always pause to weigh the odds. I use cream, but dangit, their coffee is expensive, and if I say "Yes," they're going to leave -- I kid you not, and you all know it's true -- at least an inch of room for cream!

I suppose that this depends on one's willingness to be modest with coffee consumption. My order is always "the largest of your strongest!". I often need an inch of a praticularly dark roast to change the color much at all, let alone the medium brown color I look for from added half and half (milk does little but addlactic acid to an often acidic roast). We are talking about some 25 oz. of coffee from the tallest of their paper cups.

I'm getting off-topic. I'm not anti-Starbucks. I love the place. I just wonder why people don't demand a little bit more for their money spent on coffee drinks there. When I ask for an Americano, and I ask for "room for cream," I still want my cup filled, please.

Cafe' Americano? You drink water-diluted espresso? What's the point of that? Maybe we mid-westerners are a shallow bunch, but every Starbucks and Caribou I've been to has at least another menu of decaf, mild, and strong brews of their conventional blends that they sell on the shelf (I've learned that these choices for brewing are determined by the blends closest to expiration date, but they still make a good cup of coffee).

Time to get my evening cup of joe, so I'll be alert during my Systematic Theology class tonight.

And diluted espresso does that for you, huh?

I'm goin' to Dunkin' Donuts.

Now you are telling me you don't like real coffee. What are you trying to communicate?

As to lunch? Usually a nice J-R Tobacco imitation of a Cuban La Gloria Cubana Corona. Best $1.00 smoke in the world. Better than most at 5X the price.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I had buffalo ravioli a few years ago a (the famous) Jack's Fire house restaurant in Philly. Or was it Ostrich ravioli? I forgot! Jack's specializes in unusual meats, and I was brave enough to pick the "chef's choice" in which the courses were brought one without my input.

I think it was Buffalo.

There's a little diner on the other side of Ferndale, a whole in the wall with room to seat 10, really, that has served buffalo burgers for years. They're pretty good. I haven't been there in years. Note to self....

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

These are the lunches I would kill for:

1. One Philly Cheese Steak and Yoohoo.

2. Four hot dogs from a lower Manhattan stall with kraut and mustard.

3. One sausage/beef combo from Portillos in Chicago with cheese fries and sweetened iced tea.

4. A burrito from anywhere. Even Taco Bell.

But alas, they have nothing of the sort on this side of the pond. Here is what I have in my lunch sack today:

A bunch of pate spread on oatcakes, two hard-boiled eggs, a hunk of really creamy Scottish cheddar, three mini clementine oranges, a jug of tea (milk, no sugar). Oh, and (no joke) a packet of lamb and mint crisps.

(They don't call them "chips" over here, they call them "crisps" and instead of flavoring them with traditional things like barbecue, or sour cream and onion, they flavor them with things like lamb and mint, baked ham and mustard, beef and onion, prawn, cheese and onion, etc...)

Fortunately I still have some of the coffee JO sent, but we have to hide it from the neighbors and I don't drink it during the day. It would upset the villagers.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter