Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Ted Baehr, Tom Snyder, and Movieguide

I guess in a sense that fits though.  Capitalism at it's finest... right?   :)

: Best movie for family audiences: Heaven is for Real

: Best movie for mature audiences: Unbroken

So... the best movies are the ones that watered down or eliminated the Christian content of the books they were based on. Gotcha.

Tom Snyder has been tweeting about how the Oscars were "commie claptrap" and then tweeting a pic from the Oscars, and NPH's Oscar quote that "Movies can shape who we are", and then asking people to donate to Movieguide.org.  So... Oscars are for communists, but we'll exploit them to get more donations.

I seem to recall someone else pooh-poohing the Oscars while posting links to his Amazon author page... wink.png

Been thinking a lot about Movieguide lately. The folks behind it may be naive, moralistic, and aesthetically illiterate, but there is something Quixotic about their quest to transform Hollywood while remaining forever in opposition to it. Unless they launch a production/distribution wing, this will never happen. And even then...

Edited by Nathaniel

Tom Snyder has been tweeting about how the Oscars were "commie claptrap" and then tweeting a pic from the Oscars, and NPH's Oscar quote that "Movies can shape who we are", and then asking people to donate to Movieguide.org.  So... Oscars are for communists, but we'll exploit them to get more donations.

I seem to recall someone else pooh-poohing the Oscars while posting links to his Amazon author page... wink.png

Yeah, that's a running joke for people who follow me on Twitter. I try to find the greatest non-sequiturs. I'm spoofing. Same thing Keillor does with "Would this be a great time for some rhubarb pie?" I doubt that anybody's ever actually purchased anything off of those jokes.

Edited by Overstreet

Well, Jeff, at least you're out there actually making art instead of just critiquing it. Movieguide is still operating under the delusion that by reviewing mainstream releases for Christian families and setting up a copycat awards ceremony every year, they are changing the culture. 

Still, for all the fun made at their expense, one must admit that there are commonalities between them and some of the members of this board. For instance, I don't see anyone taking issue with their appraisal of Selma as a "powerful... well-done movie with overt Christian, moral content." Or their evaluation of Fifty Shades of Gray as a "stupid piece of abhorrent nonsense." Plus, their abiding obsession with "worldview" isn't so far removed from how many of the folks here at A&F approach movies.

Why do I mention these things? Because the posts in this thread tend to be as suspiciously selective as Movieguide's own coverage, and while this is occasionally good for a smirk, this attitude also makes no attempt to change the status quo.

Edited by Nathaniel

Nathaniel said:  the posts in this thread tend to be as suspiciously selective as Movieguide's own coverage, and while this is occasionally good for a smirk, this attitude also makes no attempt to change the status quo.

I'm not sure about this though.

MovieGuide as an entity (which this thread is covering - so to speak) is a very different thing than what they are covering.  Movieguide is a more or less black and white paradigm largely attempting to praise and attack based on their worldview, whereas the films that they are discussing don't fit into this mold (even if the might think they do.)  We might discuss worldviews, but it is more for the point of understanding the film and it's relation to culture, rather than looking for places we disagree or agree in order to attack or praise it - strictly in regards to how it lines up to our wordview, without a hope of it influencing our considerations.  It's showing considerable more respect for the filmmakers and the films themselves, as well as an honest attempt to understand the dynamics of film.  Which is one of the reasons why Movieguides lack of ability to do so is sometimes pointed out.  Groups like Movieguide can have a nasty habit of influencing people to *not* engaging film at all (Movieguide does it for them), or when they do so, to not engage the film fairly.

So, I'm not sure that the "status quo's" are comparable, so to speak.  If that makes any sense.