Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

Supper / Dinner

Tips? One word: Costco.

Oh, YEAH! Best processed food around. I recommend the Tyson "buffalo hot bites" right off the bat. basically buffalo wing formatted chicken tenderloin pieces. Great prices on good quality shrimp and various frozen fish filets too. Might as well live a little if you are doing the bachelor thing.

Tonight: leftover ground beef (sorry Mark) blended with ground lamb is now sitting with puverised garlic, parsley, basil, cumin, and coriander (because I did not have any mint afterall) awaiting broiling as an ersats Lebanese "Kafta", a favorite dish of mine. Rice and mixed green salad to be ready when the Babe gets home at 8:30.

Oh, YEAH! Best processed food around.

Scratch that, then. Atkins is all about "whole foods," and I have to say that, given more than 30 years of mostly processed foods, I'm enjoying the alternative.

Rich, your dinner sounds delicious.

Who's gonna start the "DESSERT" thread? blink.gif

Oh, YEAH! Best processed food around.

Scratch that, then. Atkins is all about "whole foods," and I have to say that, given more than 30 years of mostly processed foods, I'm enjoying the alternative.

First of all, the "processed" foods are of quite high quality, but their whole foods are good and a good price as well. Great prices on fresh meat, seafood, and veggies (but a LOT of it in a package). Their frozen seafood is high quality and priced well.

Rich, your dinner sounds delicious.

Hey, thanks. I haven't made this in a while. You live in Detroit a while and you start begging Lebanese and Iraqis for hints as to their secrets. There is a special five spice combination that I still haven't been able to tease out of the Iraqi women I sort of flirt with at work. Give me time, but I'm not prepared to go past flirting to get the secret.

(And I appended the title of this thread. Just what is 'supper' anyway?)

Northerners have "lunch" and "dinner". Traditionally, southerners have had "dinner" and "supper".

Ate at Lucilles BBQ before seeing Robots tonight. I had fried turkey, mashed potatoes and veggies. The wife had pulled pork sandwich, sides of greens and mac & cheese.

BethR   

Oh, whatever! smile.gif

I had my Irish Lit. class over for "Almost St. Patrick's Day" movie night. We had pizza delivered (what? pizza isn't Irish? I'm shocked! Shocked!)--pepperoni & sausage w/ mushrooms. Dessert was shamrock-shaped cookies with green icing (or frosting), of course.

We watched Into the West and then, for optional extra credit, Monty Python and the Holy Grail--their request. What? MP&tHG isn't about Ireland? Few people realize that "ni" is Gaelic for "not"--thus the Knights Who Say "Ni!" are clearly Irish. We all felt satisfied with this rationalization and laughed ourselves silly.

Uber Burritos = rice, onions, tomatoes, yellow peppers, refried beans, black beans, olives, pepper jack and cheddar cheeses, guacamole, cilantro, garlic, cumin, jalapenos, lettuce, sour cream, and Chuck's homemade, New Mexico-grown green chile sauce. All fresh; wrap it in a tortilla (or two). Yum.

My ideal "supper" was exemplified by a Sunday night dinner in Durham, NC at the TEXAS ROADHOUSE. Excellent ribs, filet, peanuts in the shell. But what made it my favorite "supper" were the home-made rolls made fresh every two minutes with cinnamon-honey-butter. I would go just for the bread!

Denny

SZPT   
My ideal "supper" was exemplified by a Sunday night dinner in Durham, NC at the TEXAS ROADHOUSE.  Excellent ribs, filet, peanuts in the shell.  But what made it my favorite "supper" were the home-made rolls made fresh every two minutes with cinnamon-honey-butter.  I would go just for the bread!

Wow, they have a Texas Roadhouse in NC? Amazing.

A couple of weekends ago I had a rib-eye there. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Everyone else got the ribs, which my dad-in-law thinks are the best.

And yes, the rolls with cinnamon-honey-butter are where it's at. I like to save one for the end of the meal since I know I'll be too full for a real dessert.

Tonight: Aloha Chicken (chicken in a glaze of some kind, revolving around pineapple) and rice, with tomatoes and carrots for a veg. And - wait for it - a tall glass of skim milk! Very tasty.

mrmando   
Hey, thanks. I haven't made this in a while. You live in Detroit a while and you start begging Lebanese and Iraqis for hints as to their secrets. There is a special five spice combination that I still haven't been able to tease out of the Iraqi women I sort of flirt with at work.

Y'know, I found a recipe online for Lebanese 7-spice blend, and now I can't find it again. I gave up and bought a big jar of it at a local Arab grocery.

Give me time, but I'm not prepared to go past flirting to get the secret.

What Americans will do to get secrets out of Iraqis is not the topic of this thread.

Y'know, I found a recipe online for Lebanese 7-spice blend, and now I can't find it again. I gave up and bought a big jar of it at a local Arab grocery.

In this town, you are very careful not to confuse the Lebanese with anyone and Iraqis with Arabs (as most Iraqis here are Chaldean or Assyrian).

What Americans will do to get secrets out of Iraqis is not the topic of this thread.

Ah, but the particular kind of secret is. Nice joke though.

mrmando   

In this town, you are very careful not to confuse the Lebanese with anyone and Iraqis with Arabs (as most Iraqis here are Chaldean or Assyrian).

Well, I imagine that would hold true in any town. I just don't know the 5-spice blend as well as the 7-spice. I'm getting pretty good at chicken shawarma.

Bought a meal in Athens from an Iraqi Kurd and thanked him with the entire scope of my Arabic vocabulary: Mumtaz, shikren (Excellent, thank you). I hope he wasn't offended that I spoke to him in Arabic, but I don't know any Kurdish.

Well, I imagine that would hold true in any town. I just don't know the 5-spice blend as well as the 7-spice. I'm getting pretty good at chicken shawarma.

I'm humbled! I only recently have developed a taste for shawarma at all. Around here, if it's chicken it's real dry. There's a place up the road from the store that does perfect lamb shawarma. Better than some of the heavy hitter places with reputations. Given a choice of beef or lamb, I tend to go with lamb under almost any conditions.

Last night, before taking in Theater of the New Ear, we ate at Literati II at the corner of Bundy and Wilshire. Astounding! I had halibut which was possibly the best halibut I've ever had with haved garlic on it, sprinkled with some creme fraise. I had a side of sauteed corn with purslaine. My wife had figs stuffed with goat cheese followed by a salad of stone fruit with prosciutto on burrata. We had a peach and berry crisp for dessert with a scoop of in house made ice cream all of which was excellent.

If you're in the Westwood area (and on an expense account would be nice) it is highly recommended.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Last night we went to a Churrascaria in Irvine. It's Brazilian version of barbeque where they bring skewers of meat to your table and carve off slabs for you. (Plus an extensives salad bar and a warm bar for potatoes, etc.) They bring tri-tip, filet mignon (about a 2 oz cut), chicken legs, rosted pork, skirt steak, small bacon-wrapped filet migon pieces, chicken hearts, leg of lamb. I'm sure I going to be sweating red meat smell today.

Last night we were up in Beverly Hills and we ate at The Stinking Onion, where they note on the menu that they season their garlic with food. We had the garlic pot stickers 4.5/5, a house salad 4.0/5, and the meatloaf 4.5/5. We also splurged and got the roasted bulb for $2.50 to spread on our bread. Their house chiati was pretty tasty too.

I feel kind of sorry for whoever had to sit next to us in the screening.

Greg P   

Date night tonight, so we're going to the Bonefish Grill. Anyone else have one in their area? I know there are a number of them up and down the east coast. Good food. The blackened grouper is outrageously fine. That along with their famous Bang-Bang Shrimp are on the top of my list tonight.

SZPT   

We're going to the Clay Pit tonight to celebrate my birthday. It is grilled Indian cuisine with naan to die for.

Last night we were up in Beverly Hills and we ate at The Stinking Onion, where they note on the menu that they season their garlic with food. We had the garlic pot stickers 4.5/5 , a house salad 4.0/5 , and the meatloaf 4.5/5 . We also splurged and got the roasted bulb for $2.50 to spread on our bread. Their house chiati was pretty tasty too.

I feel kind of sorry for whoever had to sit next to us in the screening.

Had I been there, I don't think I would have been able to get past the "40 garlic clove chicken on the bone". If I ever get out there, I must do this restaurant. I love garlic and would give garlic ice cream a chance if the opportunity arose.

[EDIT] Happy birthday SZPT! I forgot, we share the same day. Monday, it is back to The Real Seafood Company. The only way I can afford the paeia is to get for free every June 5. Tonight is our 17th anniversary, We are going to a little Italian place as soon as my brother and sister-in-law get here (married the week before us the same year). Later, we will celebrate with a chilled bottle of Mawby Talisman from our trip up north.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

We went to Coastal Flats last night -- gratis, thanks to Sarah's connections. As good as ever, although I went a small step down to the pecan-crusted trout. My usual is the sea bass, which is sumptuous.

I was at The Stinking Onion in San Francisco a few years back, and it was simply Too Much Garlic.

Tonight I had hamburgers seasoned with cracked pepper and (speaking of) garlic on whole wheat bagels, with white rice on the side.

Dale

I was at The Stinking Onion in San Francisco a few years back, and it was simply Too Much Garlic.

Pansy!

SZPT   

Happy birthday SZPT! I forgot, we share the same day. Monday, it is back to The Real Seafood Company. The only way I can afford the paeia is to get for free every June 5.

Yep, the day that would have been D-Day.

Today I got to grill chicken tenders, soaked in one of my personal marinades, for a get-together at my church. Folks couldn't get enough of them and were complimenting me on them all day, and that was a great birthday present.