2. My church's monthly men's breakfast -- this time it's the annual Pancake Breakfast/fundraiser for the fire station where we meet.

Men's breakfast in a fire station? Interesting, I like it! How did that come about?

Also, be prepared to weep during Hotel Rwanda. Wonderful film.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see...

Saturday: Getting married and beginning honeymoon.

Sunday: Driving down to San Antonio to stay at a luxury hotel on the Riverwalk.

w00t.gif

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Tonight we've got our attorney-spouse Christmas dinner.

Tomorrow day, some old neighborhood friends are coming over to make cookies with our kids. Ali's told me I'll have a few hours to myself. I may go to see SYRIANA or ICE HARVEST or BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Tomorrow night I get my first look at the Crosby Show in person, as the terrible Penguins take on the Avalanche.

After church on Sunday I think we're taking the girls to the conservatory to the winter flower show.

Movies-wise, I'm going to finish SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE and watch UNKNOWN PLEASURES. Oh, yeah. And I plan to do some substantive writing about some other movies.

Also, I need to find time for a haircut.

Edited by Russ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday--seeing The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and enjoying it more than I expected, in spite of its flaws.

Today--altar guild at church; grading exams and such in my office.

Tomorrow--church, then Pride and Prejudice with a few hardy members of the "English Club" who are still in the area after official the end of the semester.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 2 months later...

Actually, not weekend plans, but plans for this week which is a vacation week.

Monday will probably be spent working in the yard. Tuesday we'll go up to downtown LA to see the Disney Concert Hall and the LA Cathedral, then head to Venice for some food places my wife is wanting to get to. Wednesday and Thursday we'll be on the "Island of Romance" (which of course is 26 miles across the sea). Friday my wife wants to go shopping in Montrose. Maybe we'll find some time to see a movie or two.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 1 month later...

A busy weekend for us. Went to see The Inside Man Friday night, then my brother's band was having its first gig in a bar in Huntington Beach, so we picked up my mom and met his wife for dinner, then went down to the bar -- he didn't go on till after 11, way past our bed time, but he's family, what can you do?

Got up this morning and drove down to the Santa Rosa Plateau for about a 2.5 mile walk. It was ok, but not really enough rain this year for lots of wildflowers. Then after some lunch we went down to Temecula to stop by a few wineries. Only hit 3, Stuart (excellent wine, but slightly over priced. Need to get our local wine store to get some so we don't have to pay winery prices.) La Cereza (used to be Von Roekel, not that good), then one of my favorite small wineries, Hart. But we aren't done yet. Drive back to Irvine to see Thank You for Smoking, then dinner at Indian restaurant before heading home.

Tomorrow after church may be work on taxes, maybe work on some reviews of what I've been seeing the last few days -- or maybe that most blessed event, the Sunday afternoon nap.

-from the film
Armin

• 4 months later...

One of the tasks for this weekend is updating the earthquake kit. Really should be done occasionally, although this is our first time in the stuff since 1998. Needless to say, the meds are all trash, lots of food to be replaced (somehow I don't want to try the 8 year old mayo -- survive an earthquake to die of lysteria or whatever). Need new batteries for radio and flashlight, etc. Interesting to see the books we picked for our post-disaster reading. Also we discovered we packed plenty of shirts, but no pants.

-from the film
Armin

Well, I went to Sleater-Kinney's farwell show. That was fun. Eddie Vedder did a couple songs as a surprise guest. Not really a Pearl Jam fan past 1994, but it was still kind of cool to see him play.

But SK must have played for two hours! It was seriously a looooong set. Double encore even. I think they were in tears when they left the stage. Awwww.

Edited by edwartica
  • 3 weeks later...

Labor Day weekend, what's up?

We'll be leaving Sunday afternoon to go down to Del Mar and La Jolla. Stay in Del Mar, go see All Wear Bowlers at La Jolla Playhouse. Promo on the play makes it look like Laurel & Hardy meet Wating for Godot.

-from the film
Armin

I'm going to catch some local bicycle races. This tournament takes place in St. Louis every Labor Day weekend. And it gives me an excuse to make it down to Lafayette Square.

Sweet