Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Greatest TV Theme Songs

I thought I'd care more deeply about it, but I find that I don't have anything to say about this -- although I'm sure somebody here will. smile.gif

Whoever did this just isn't old enough!

What of the Lone Ranger? I Love Lucy? I Married Joan?

I married Joan? I was away from television for almost all of the sixties, but i sense that this is fifties. Explain.

P.S. A word of warning about Christian's link. Bawdy parody lyrics in a few places are not for the faint of heart.

I married Joan? I was away from television for almost all of the sixties, but i sense that this is fifties. Explain.

info including a bit of the theme song lyrics. (I'm not quite old enough to remember the shows 1st run, but I did see them in their syndication days.)

Also a link to .wav file of theme song

Edited by Darrel Manson

The lyrics to ST:TOS are incredibly lame. They must be expunged from this dimension immediately!

I am going with The Monkees, All In The Family or Sanford and Son.

I was about to get all bent out of shape that they didn't have The Streets of San Francisco on there but they do.

And the Little House on the Prairie theme song now has a soft spot in my heart.

The same guy who wrote the Sesame Street and Electric Company themes wrote these lyrics: blink.gif

Come and knock on our door

We've been waiting for you

Where the kisses are hers and hers and his

Three's company, too

eek.gif

IMO, the Cheers and X-Files themes should have ranked higher, but maybe I'm biased toward those shows.

Far too much American bias to be a completist's list. Where is the incredible Mysterious Cities of Gold? The toe-tapping Maid Marion and Her Merry Men and the transendent Littlest Hobo?

Phil.

Far too much American bias to be a completist's list. Where is the incredible Mysterious Cities of Gold? The toe-tapping Maid Marion and Her Merry Men and the transendent Littlest Hobo?

Where's the what?, the who?, and the huh?

wink.gifw00t.gif

Did I miss it or have they left out The Greatest American Hero tune, Believe It Or Not. I must have missed it. Its use in Fahrenheit 9/11 is probably the best bit of that movie. A cheap shot but a funny cheap shot. I also have a soft spot for the old Grizzly Adams theme tune. And was the Moonlighting theme left out as well?

The Captain America theme from the 60's cartoon (When Capt. America throws his mighty sheild, all those who oppose his mighty sheild must yield!) Also the Thor theme from the same series...

Welcome Back, by John Sebastian for Welcome Back Kotter. That trademark, breezy Lovin' Spoonful chord progression...

My all time fave-- hands down-- Good Times theme. w00t.gif

Nice to see that somebody noticed there was no Little House.

It is rediculous for Lone Ranger to be at the very bottom.

Other neglected themsongs I think are Saved by the Bell and like it or not. . .FRIENDS. . . it was pretty revolutionary I think to have The Rembrants do the song and have it be on the top of the charts for as long as it did. The Monkeys obviously did it but it was a show about a musical band. . .Friends was different.

Price Is Right got slighted too. . .that should be higher. . .pretty long standing.

And what about the NBC News intro?

Just some thoughts. . .

I think the Dr. Who theme music is probably one of the coolest ever to be played on television. Doesn't have any lyrics as far as I can tell. But that does not diminish its inherent coolness.

The recent trend of shows that are longer than a mini-series but shorter than a season may stretch the definition of a TV show theme song, but I thought the intro tune to Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital was wonderfully eeire, catchy, and memorable all at the same time.

Dear Thread:

Since instrumentals seem permitted based on those listed in the link, I have to put in a vote--futile as it may be--for Dallas, a piece of theme music my wife so aptly described as a cross between Aaron Copeland and 70s disco.  It's a perfect representation of both the show and its period in all its unapologetically excessive cheesiness.

Peace.

Ken

I'll second your vote for Dallas. I can hear it right now in my head.

What about Alfred Hitchcock Presents? Who could forget that music?

And all the Andy Griffith shows? (Makes me want to whistle right now...)

I wish there could be a CD of all the old radio show music (going back to things like the Jack Benny Show, the old quiz shows, and all those old soaps on the radio - "Lorenzo Jones and His Wife Belle" ) and the best themes from TV shows. Is there such a CD? There should be if there isn't.

Sara