Sign in to follow this  
Russ

Film Club

I've got my copy of Slacker and am about halfway through.

BTW, I vote for the TV version of Fanny & Alexander, and I'm also very interested in The Celebration.

Are the TV and cinema versions of F&A vastly different? The library in town only has the cinematic version. Will I be way out of the loop if I watch that one?

I'm planning to watch 'Slacker' tonight, so I should be good to go on Tues or Wed.

As a subterfuge to increase its chances for Top 100 inclusion, might I suggest 'Wit' for future viewing and discussion?

Are the TV and cinema versions of F&A vastly different? The library in town only has the cinematic version. Will I be way out of the loop if I watch that one?

I'm jumping the gun, but I started watching the TV version of F&A last Friday. I've seen three of the four parts. Mark, Netflix lists the running time of the theatrical version as 188 minutes, while the TV version weighs in at a whopping 312 minutes! I wouldn't say you'd be "way out of the loop," but I've found that the TV version really enhances the characterization (especially F&A's father) and does a better job explaining the film's timeline. Plus, I've heard that a crucial scene at the very end is missing from the shorter version (EDIT: Finished the film, no big scene at the very end that wasn't in the shorter version. There's a new shorter scene earlier on, but it's not earth-shattering.)

Also, if we do end up watching the TV version, will we set up a discussion thread for each part, or will we wait and discuss the whole thing at once? If we wait, well, consider yourself warned: My posts might be incredibly long. smile.gif

Edited by Diane

Mark, Netflix lists the running time of the theatrical version as 188 minutes, while the TV version weighs in at a whopping 312 minutes! I wouldn't say you'd be "way out of the loop," but I've found that the TV version really enhances the characterization (especially F&A's father) and does a better job explaining the film's timeline. Plus, I've heard that a crucial scene at the very end is missing from the shorter version.

Well now, that's weird. The library's listing for the movie says it's the cinematic version - yet the running time is 312 minutes. So I guess it's the TV version after all. I just returned it without watching, 'cause I knew I wouldn't get to it before the due date, but I'll check it out again next week.

Oh, and, long posts, Diane? If I can fill page upon page ranting about Amazing Race, I think we can stand your thoughts on Bergman. biggrin.gif

I have refused to read this thread except for the last three posts. Just got a copy of Slacker last night. This weekend I plan to watch it and Fanny and Alexander, which I have from Netflix (the TV version). But I've seen Fanny and Alexander before so I may actually be at the head that discussion!

Looking forward to going back and reading thru all of the thoughts here after I finish.

-s.

Edited by stef

Glad to hear I'm not the only slacker

(pun partially intended -- and I know,

it's bad) who hasn't watched "Slacker"

yet. It has been sitting on my

entertainment center for over a week

now. I'm hoping to watch it either

tonight or tomorrow morning. I've

had some recent purchases arrive

that are also looking tempting. Ah,

so many movies, so little time.

Well, we certainly won't need to shut down the Slacker thread to begin F&A. Have we decided for sure that we'll be discussing the TV version? I might have some free time this weekend to watch it all.

Have we decided for sure that we'll be discussing the TV version?

Please and I hope so. After taking a few days to contemplate it, it's just so much richer throughout. And there's a crucial, lengthy scene in part four (not what I referred to in my last post) that could lead to some very interesting discussion on Bergman's spiritual views

My copy was shipped Tuesday, so I should have it soon. I intend to watch the shorter theatrical version first, and will be game for discussing both and either.

I'm game for the TV version of 'Fanny and Alexander,' but I won't be able to start watching it till the middle or end of next week.

I have refused to read this thread except for the last three posts.  Just got a copy of Slacker last night.

FWIW, I am a nerd. I thought I was posting to the Slacker thread. DOY! blush.gif

-s.

I've watched the first two episodes of the TV version and will probably finish the rest tonight. Will we have another moderator? I'm not sure if my comments helped or hindered the Slacker discussion.

I thought you did great. You opened up the film to me. It's just a tough film to start with.

Regarding other potential discussion leaders, all that I think is needed is enthusiasm for the film. Nothing fancy.

Who's interested in a bit of discussion-facilitating? Diane, you seem to have really gotten into a Bergman vibe, and you've got a head start on us in working through it. You up for it?

If Darren doesn't want to lead, then I'm game, though I'm going to be horribly swamped at work through next week. But still, I'd hate to pass this up. How many people have finished watching? When would we want to start the discussion? I'm fine with waiting just a bit (still hoping to revisit parts of the film).

Awesome! You tell us when you'd be ready to invest a little time in discussion-shepherding. It's going to take me a little time to get through the TV version, and I know others haven't even got the discs yet.

Thanks.

You tell us when you'd be ready to invest a little time in discussion-shepherding.  It's going to take me a little time to get through the TV version, and I know others haven't even got the discs yet.

Let's just say my life should be a whole lot better after next week (selfishly, I'm kind of glad the film is so long; that will buy me some time). But y'all can keep me updated and give me a nudge when you're ready.

And GrandPrixGator, I think you'll be OK. smile.gif

Right now, I've got too many irons in the fire to devote time to viewing a 5 hour film - I may give 'Fanny and Alexander' a miss, and pick up again with the next film.

I have the theatrical version to watch.  Will I be in left field if I dont see the TV version?

That's the version I have, because frankly, I don't have six hours to devote to it, although I'm sure it's worth it.

secret.gif The commentary track on the theatrical version describes what's been cut, if you find that kind of thing helpful.