Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Wonder Woman movie

BethR   

Another comic book/TV series movie. But this one will be written and directed by Joss Whedon, according to CNN, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't turn out like the execrable Catwoman or the disappointing Electra.

BethR   
If it's done straight, that should be fine, but I might be concerned about some of the Lesbian subtexts others have brought out.

Eh? Are you thinking about Xena, Warrior Princess, that other TV Amazon? blink.gif

But I haven't thought about WW the TV show in years and am not a comic-book buff, so what do I know?

Neb   

At least Whedon has the ability to write a good story with compelling characters, so it could be every bit as good as Spiderman 2 (Sam Raimi: another filmmaker who actually makes good films).

Neb

I don't undertand the dislike of Elektra.

As I explain here, the spiritual implications of the film are intriguing. It has a kind of "west meets east meets CIA meets Jackie Chan meets HERO meets ...," surely there is something in that smorgasborg that is inviting?

Denny

run   

They should just get Debra Winger to play a grown-up Drusilla who becomes the new Wonder Woman after Diana Prince gets killed off by a new modern breed of Nazis.

Dark Horizons is posting this as the teaser poster for the WW movie. Is that Adam Hughes art??

Jeff   

"I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't turn out like the execrable Catwoman or the disappointing Electra."

Same here. I thought Elektra was pretty bad, and I didn't see Catwoman (but it's reputations proceeds it). If Whedon gets this one right, he'll be responsible for the first good female superhero movie.

Who do you guys think should play Wonder Woman? I've heard Sandra Bullock and Monica Bellucci mentioned, but my choice would be either Emmy Rossum ( w00t.gif ) or Scarlet Johanssen ( w00t.gif ).

I've been thinking about the teaser image...

I like Wonder Woman as a character, when she's done right. I think her best depictions have been in Paul Dini and Alex Ross' Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth and Christopher Moeller's amazing JLA: A League of One. In these books, especially the latter, which I cannot reccommend highly enough, WW is depicted as being the embodiment of Truth, her defining characteristic. Remember her magic lasso that compels people to tell the truth? In Moeller's book, we see that her regular ritual is to use it on herself, to compel herself to root out all self-deception. This winds up being the reason she, and only she among the JLA, can defeat the villain, a twisted, deceptive ancient dragon whose main ability is to fan a person's inner lies into a consuming flame. It's a powerful story, with great Christian resonances, although I don't think Moeller is a believer.

Anyway, there are all sorts of female comicbook characters that exist only for the purpose of sexual titilation. Admittedly, WW as a character has not been kept free from that. But at her best, she can serve as a means to explore issues of truth in a compelling way. Ross and Moeller's art presents a Wonder Woman who is beautiful without being "sexy". She has a nobility and strength about her that actively prevents objectification. Adam Hughes is a fine artist, but his corpus tends heavily towards titilation. His WW covers do a great job (I think) of staying away from that, but this teaser image does not. What do we learn about WW? She's got boobs. Yippee! sad.gif

I hope Whedon picked this image for other reasons, and that he's going to explore the purity and nobility of the character, rather than the prurient aspects. But I'd rather he had gone with an Alex Ross or Christopher Moeller image than an Adam Hughes image, if that's his intent.

This bears on the casting of WW. A few years ago, I'd have said "Sela Ward" or "Jennifer Connelly", beautiful women who have a presence and intelligence and nobility that they can bring to the role. I don't know who I'd pick now.

When casting Superman, I think you need a guy who has the kind of presence that can change a room when he walks in - like Darth Vader, but for good. When Vader walks into the room, he dominates it with his imposing evil. When Superman walks into the room, the whole atmosphere changes, and he dominates the attention for the good. I think Wonder Woman needs to be the same way.

Here's a scene from Alex Ford's script for a previous incarnation of Superman V (not the current one). I pulled it off of The Superman Homepage.

INT. DAILY PLANET LOBBY

A statuesque WOMAN (#2) dressed in a long skirt and conservative blouse enters. Her body is that of an athlete. Her legs are to die for. Her skin's like porcelain and her thick jet black wavy hair cascades down her shoulders to the middle of her back.

She approaches the RECEPTIONIST (#3) who looks up, startled.

RECEPTIONIST #3

(startled)

Can I help you?

WOMAN #2

I'm here to see Clark Kent.

A man walks by in the background staring at her.

QUICK CUT TO:

INT. CITY ROOM

CAT

Hmmmm. More Kansas farm boys?

LOIS

Cat likes 'em big. It must be all the corn.

QUICK CUT TO:

INT. OPENING HALLWAY - OPENINGELEVATOR

The doors open. Everyone in the elevator is at shoulder height to mystery woman. She exits and they stare. As she walks down the hall and a man carrying a computer monitor sees her, drops it, and it shatters on the floor.

QUICK CUT TO:

INT. CITY ROOM

PERRY WHITE sticks his face out of his office.

PERRY

(loud)

KENT!

CLARK gets up and heads for PERRY's office.

CAT

Why are you so hard on Clark, Lois?

RON

She's jealous because she's LOIS LANE: ACE REPORTER and the story of the century, the coming of SUPERMAN, was swooped right out from underneath her while she was there; by the new guy, the country guy. The nobody who went to college at Hicksville University in Kansas. The nobody who never had a professional gig in his life and not only does he manage to sneak a story pass the great and powerful Lois Lane, he manages to win a Carlin Award in the process

crimsonline, I haven't followed WW in years and years. That scene clip made me want to run out and buy a book. Thanks for sharing it....

B

Edited by Bill Moore

If you buy Spirit of Truth or League of One, you will NOT be disappointed.

SZPT   
Dark Horizons is posting this as the teaser poster for the WW movie. Is that Adam Hughes art??

Not to be crass, but her breasts in that picture are rather dominant. When coupled with "experience the wonder" they make a pretty strong statement. Though I guess that's the point?

That's pretty much the point of my really long post above...

SZPT   
That's pretty much the point of my really long post above...

Oops. Yeah, I just went back and read that. Glad to know that I'm not the only one.

I'm not in the Cult of Whedon so I'm not excited about this, but someone pointed out to me today that Eliza Dushku would be perfect for this role. And I agree.

I'm into superhero movies, so I might consider checking this out, if it doesn't take too sordid an perspective.

I strongly doubt, however, that it will get anywhere close to the quality of Spiderman II.

Jeff   

"I strongly doubt, however, that it will get anywhere close to the quality of Spiderman II."

Well that pretty much goes without saying. biggrin.gif Spidey 2 is an enormously tough act for the other superhero franchises to follow.

Eliza Dushku wouldn't be a bad choice, I guess. It also occurred to me that Anne Hathaway looks right for the part, though whether or not she can really act is somewhat up in the air. I'm ashamed to admit I saw the Princess Diaries 2 and Ella Enchanted in theaters last year, and she was pretty lame in both.

Neb   
I'm not in the Cult of Whedon so I'm not excited about this, but someone pointed out to me today that Eliza Dushku would be perfect for this role.  And I agree.

Ouch, "Cult of Whedon". Well, I'm not in that camp, either. I'm a huge fan of "Firefly" and know the guy has the ability to write compelling stories. His other stuff (Buffy, Angel...) is not really interesting to me. I had enough teen angst when I was a teenager, thank you.

Neb

His other stuff (Buffy, Angel...) is not really interesting to me.

Then you're not in the cult. People in the cult do things like... think that Joss Whedon would be a better choice to direct X3 than Bryan Singer when Whedon has never directed a feature film and Singer has consistently done excellent work. The general hype surrounding the man is uncanny, given that he has not actually done much work in the film industry.

BethR   

Whedon has directed a feature film now--Serenity, based on the critically acclaimed Firefly TV show, is in post-production and scheduled to open Sept. 30.

Sorry to sound like a cultist, but I'm really not just some fangurl--I can cite media critics with better credentials than mine who think he's extraordinary. It wasn't just fans who thought Whedon should be considered for X3, if I'm not mistaken. If he's been handed the reins for Wonder Woman, before Serenity even hits theaters, somebody with money thinks he can do the job, and not just on the basis of his writing.

Edited by BethR

There's a pretty cool casting list for the WW role - a chance for fans to look at the ideas of other fans and vote - up at The Ultimate WW Movie website.

From the folks up on that list, I'd pick Jordan Bayne. She seems beautiful, tall, and intelligent. But I've not heard her voice, so...

Sorry to sound like a cultist, but I'm really not just some fangurl--I can cite media critics with better credentials than mine who think he's extraordinary.

No it's fine. I'm just oversensitive to things like this. Please continue to favor whomever you desire without concern for or recognition of my opinion. For the record I think the Cult of Whedon is generally more militant about their leader than anyone here has been.

I have seen nothing Whedon has done other than a couple episodes of Buffy, so it's not like I'm trying to claim that he's bad at what he does. I just get a little irritated when I see constant pleas on other forums for studios to hand their vehicles over to a man who is not a director, when there are proven directors and screenwriters with as much or more talent available.

Sorry if I've been too snarky.

Croaker   

Did you know.....

William Marston, creator of Wonder Woman, also invented the first polygraph machine in 1915. This invention is what inspired Wonder Woman's Lasso of Truth. A polygraph machine has a wire that is looped around the chest to measure heart rate.

Anders   

I'm just going to mention that I've really enjoyed Whedon's current run on Astonishing X-men. Easily some of the best X-men stories I've read in years and years. So that gives me some hope.

Somehow I can see a Wonder Woman film being really cheesy, but at least Joss has a good track record with strong female leads who don't come across as too manly, or, the converse, weak and over-emotional (I'm talking about Bufffy wink.gif )

Croaker   

They are certainly going to have to re-vamp the costume. It works in the comic, but, as most comic book movies have discovered those kind of costumes do not translate well to film. The only one that has really made the jump is Superman. Spiderman is a close second, but even that is a bit different than the comic.