Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kenmorefield

Fantasy Baseball, Anyone?

150 posts in this topic

I've set up the league. Come and play. Go to http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1 and when you create a team, join custom league -- info below.

I haven't done this in a while, but do you still have openings?

Still lots of space -- bring friends

Bump for another reminder -- lots of room for friends. If we still have this few going into time for the draft, I'll probably expand rosters with extra OFs, MI, CI to cut into the free agent pool.

Bump for another reminder -- lots of room for friends. If we still have this few going into time for the draft, I'll probably expand rosters with extra OFs, MI, CI to cut into the free agent pool.

Have you thought about a draft date?

regards,

-Lance

With autodraft, when I figure all are in that want, I can switch the draft status to ready and it'll run within a couple days. I'll warn folks before I do it so they can make last minute adjustments to queues

I've never done a fantasy league before, but my friend roped me into one on ESPN, so as long as I'll be losing miserably over there, I might as well join in the fun here, too. So I'm in.

Last Call! I'm planning on turning the switch to ready to draft on Monday night (which means it will draft in a day or so). If you want in, sign up and get your queue ready. If you have friends, feel free to invite them.

is tonight the night?

i had my first ever fantasy draft on saturday (live draft), and it was fun. i made some good moves and a few boneheaded mistakes. i'm eager to see who i end up with in this league.

It'll be when the site gets around to it. Shouldn't be too long.

Arghh...I can't wait to see the results of the draft! I also saw some more teams joined at the last minute. Hooray!

Any idea on how long it takes? Hours or Days? I did a help search and found nothing.

Let's play ball!

regards,

-Thoreau

Any idea on how long it takes? Hours or Days?

That's about right. I expect results by tomorrow afternoon. Could be up now for all I know. I haven't looked since this a.m.

Any idea on how long it takes? Hours or Days?

That's about right. I expect results by tomorrow afternoon. Could be up now for all I know. I haven't looked since this a.m.

Still says: your auto draft will be completed between now and 11:59 PM PT on Saturday, Mar 31.

Nice and vague.

It appears that mrmando must be doubly anxious. ;)

I'll delete one of those teams if it makes y'all feel better. I was trying to change the description of one of them, and ended up creating a new one instead, I guess. I can see where it might not be cool for one manager to have two different teams in a league. Darrel?

There are some issues with that, but they can be worked around. At present, I have blocked one of the teams (I think the Gray Geese) from making trades (I can switch which team is blockedif you want.) I can unlock that if you come up with a trade with another team (and would probably temporarity block your other team at the same time), but this way you can't pull players from one team and stock the other.

oh, by the way, if you haven't gotten email about it, the draft is done. I'll be doing quite a few changes after waivers clear.

I'll delete one of those teams if it makes y'all feel better. I was trying to change the description of one of them, and ended up creating a new one instead, I guess. I can see where it might not be cool for one manager to have two different teams in a league. Darrel?

this is just for fun and all, so it doesn't really matter to me.

well, as long as you don't start having too much fun with trades and waiver order. then i'll just be upset that i didn't think of it first.

if you really want to make me feel better about it, though, you'll trade matsuzaka to me. :)

also, my bullpen is awesome. i mean, aside from armando benitez, which i believe is spanish for "how did he even end up being ranked on my list?"

There are some issues with that, but they can be worked around. At present, I have blocked one of the teams (I think the Gray Geese) from making trades (I can switch which team is blockedif you want.) I can unlock that if you come up with a trade with another team (and would probably temporarity block your other team at the same time), but this way you can't pull players from one team and stock the other.

oh, by the way, if you haven't gotten email about it, the draft is done. I'll be doing quite a few changes after waivers clear.

Well, block the Sugar Beets. Trading was the issue I had in mind; it would give me an unfair advantage if I could trade with myself. The Sugar Beets are sort of a "default" team (I didn't set any custom player rankings).

and wow, the Sugar Beets have a killer pitching staff: Dice-K, King Felix, D-Train, and Roy Halladay on one team? Yipes. Josh Beckett and Mark Buehrle are backups? Wow. Three Mariners in the infield, hm. And I have three of the best catchers in the American League, so I can probably trade somebody to upgrade my spotty outfield, although Ordonez and Podsednik are not to be sneezed at.

The Grey Geese have quite a murderers' row on offense, but don't look as strong on ptiching. Maybe I'll just let them go.

Edited by mrmando

Congrats on a great draft everyone!

Interesting analyzing the draft. I managed to get 4 of my top 10 picks. Which means nobody wanted the same guys as me. :) That is either very good or very very bad.

We'll see. On my first day, I've already had somebody put on the DL, go figure. Hope that isn't a sign of things to come.

regards,

-Lance

It's interesting indeed. Turns out I got 4 out of my top 10 as well, even though I only ended up with one player that had a default ranking in the top 20. As Thoreau says, this is either very good or very very bad.

I'm still baffled as to how the draft decided to reach down and grab Benitez for me in the 17th round, especially since every round after that but one I got players that I had ranked higher than Armando (by as many as 80 places!). Not only that, but pitchers I had ranked higher than Benitez (by like 35 places) got drafted five and six rounds later by other people.

I guess what I'm saying is, if anyone wants to trade Harden or Beckett for the Giants' renowned closer, I'm listening. :)

I guess what I'm saying is, if anyone wants to trade Harden or Beckett for the Giants' renowned closer, I'm listening. :)

I might trade one of 'em, but not for that guy...

MLB.com has a game called Beat the Streak. Every day you pick a batter, if he gets a hit, you're streak is alive. If you break DiMaggio's 56 game streak, you win big stuff. they don't seem to a league option this year. Feel free to post decent streaks here. I've made high teens before, but usually my streaks look like binary; 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 then I'll get about 3 in a row.

go to the "fantasy" link and you should find it fairly easily

Edited by Darrel Manson

Anyone else having trouble hitting the yahoo baseball site tonight? I keep timing out.

A little known seventy-five year record is about to fall.

Braves' manager Bobby Cox was just tossed from his 130 game. He is one ejection from tying the record of 131 set by the legendary John McGraw, who retired in 1932.

130 games! That is almost a whole season.

OK..so which will be the better moment this week. Bonds hitting 755 or Ripken and Gwynn going into the Hall of Fame?

As far as this Baltimoron is concerned, Ripken wins hands down!

Ripkin and Gwynn. At this point who gives a rip about RoidBoy. Best line I've heard recently was after Bonds ripped Costas for having Schilling on talking about Bonds -- calling Costas a midget who doesn't know jack--- about the game, Costas replied that he's five foot six and a half inches and all of 150 pounds, but unlike some people, he came to be that way naturally.

After hitting No. 754, Bonds walked four straight times. The Marlins kept him hitless tonight.

Frankly, I don't think the guy deserves the record, and were I managing the opposing team, I would have him walked every time he came up to bat. (I'm tempted to say I would have him beaned, but the consequences are unpredictable and might be more severe than intended ... look what happened to that minor-league first-base coach the other day.)