Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Office: USA

167 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Toyed with the of continuing the current thread on the British version, but this is a distinct show, and if the US version turns out to be crap the I didn't want people to be put off the genius of the original.

So if you want to post on the original version of "The Office" that thread is here. Ahem. (Well someone has to do it.

Anyway I saw the trailers on IMDB and one didn't look very funny, and one looked quite funny, but I guess a 2 inch screen isn't going to showcase the work at its best. The Tim character looks almost identical, the Brent character is too slim which will make carrell's job bit harder (although maybe its just all my past crap mangers that have had an expansive waste-line).

Anyway - opinions from anyone who sees it tonight would be much appreciated

Bucky, if there's not opinions from you I shall be sorely disappointed.

Matt

Posted · Report post

It does look like on first appearences that they've done a US Fawlty Towers and removed Brent (i.e. It looks like the great Steve Carrell has been asked to play a too-good looking, too-comedien, more-palatable US Brent) but AintitCool has been positive and perhaps it's a case of the trailers being cut to include more gags and less of the 'naturalistic' stuff...

We'll get a chance to see it here in the UK later in the year, BTW, has BBC3 has bought the series from NBC.

Phil.

Posted · Report post

: BBC3 has bought the series from NBC.

weird.

"so we did this thing, you've ripped it off and now you're selling us back your (possibly) crappy* American rip off version". Someone at NBC has great business ability

Matt

*I'll edit this if I'm wrong.

Posted · Report post

I have to admit that a couple of The Office commercials have made me laugh out loud. I'm still suspicious but am more willing to give it a fair chance.

One early review mentioned that the biggest hurdle the new series might face is timing. Each of the original episodes was about 45 minutes. Once they've made room for commercials, an American sit-com is only about 22 minutes. The reviewer felt that, in order to advance a particular plot point in so little time, too much of the awkward, natural silence was trimmed.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The original (commerical free) episodes were only 30 minutes long - if that, but I can imagine that if you have to make time for commericals and hence trimmed it that would be the stuff that would tempting to get rid of. And yeah that would be the same. What wa so brilliant about the original series was the excrutiating pain you felt in some of those pauses.

But of course Darren, you in particular would appreciate those long pauses...

tumbleweed.gif

Matt

Edited by MattPage

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I was curious about how the remake would fare when you add in commercials (and whether the spell of the original would have been a little less mesmerizing if it had been aired with commercial breaks).

The local paper's TV reviewer liked the new show, but then again, he's been beating the drum for the new Battlestar Galactica show, too. Apparently the first episode is shot from the script of the first BBC show, but the subsequent episodes are new scripts.

Posted · Report post

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about British culture, but I believe the British and American sense of humor is very different. I enjoy British comedy, but have rarely enjoyed Americanized British comedy. If that makes sense.

I may give this a chance, though I really need to start watching The Office on BBC America, to see what it is I'm missing. I keep intending to, but then something else comes on that catches my interest instead.

The curse of having many choices.

Posted · Report post

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about British culture, but I believe the British and American sense of humor is very different.  I enjoy British comedy, but have rarely enjoyed Americanized British comedy.  If that makes sense.

I may give this a chance, though I really need to start watching The Office on BBC America, to see what it is I'm missing.  I keep intending to, but then something else comes on that catches my interest instead.

The curse of having many choices.

I would say to rent all 3 discs that contain the entire run of the BBC show. I was so hooked that I watched all of the episodes without any breaks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I liked it, and I think I'll enjoy it even more when they start moving away from the original scripts. It's hard to not compare the two shows when they're saying the exact same lines.

The Garreth character looks like he'll be a lot of fun, and I'm already enjoying Steve Carrell. Oddly, I think I might have the most trouble letting go of Tim and Dawn, who are so perfect. I watched the Christmas Special again last weekend and was amazed, once again, by how good Martin Freeman is in those final moments before Dawn leaves the party.

Best laugh for me in the first episode: "And God would be fourth. Those people really changed the world. It's incalclbable."

Edited by Darren H

Posted · Report post

Best laugh for me in the first episode:  "And God would be fourth.  Those people really changed the world.  It's incalclbable."

Yeah. I couldn't believe that line, not having seen the original yet. I had one ear cocked while doing other things, so I don't know character names yet. Not for everyone, but I'll give it some time.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, we enjoyed it by and large, too. Immediately afterward we watched the first episode of the BBC show to see where they departed from the old gags. I could easily have found myself watching the whole first season.

I thought the only significant misstep was in the Gareth character. Sure, there's no way to replicate a guy like that, but part of what made Gareth so interesting is the lengths he goes to to make himself appear normal; he's a bizarre, immature guy with a semi-hip hairstyle and a pseudomilitary background. Dwight just seems like a garden variety basket case.

Posted · Report post

So did anyone catch tonight's (3/29) episode? I believe it was the first of the original US episodes. I was surprised to see that a lot of the charm from the British version is still found in this version.

"Abraham Lincoln once said, if you are a racist, I will bring down the North on you."

I'm not a big fan of how often the characters look at the cameras - with the exception of David Brent, most of the characters ignored them in the BBC version. Other than that, I'm liking this version of The Office quite a bit. Not better than the original, but a good reproduction nonetheless.

Posted · Report post

I laughed a lot tonight, especially when Michael started doing the Chris Rock bit.

Posted · Report post

So, this show will normally be on Tuesday rather than Thursday? At 9:30? I missed it.

Posted · Report post

We dug last night's episode, and will keep watching for the time being. It was clearly a take off from the BBC episode where GARETH KEENAN INVETIGATES!, but funny enough to stand on its own.

Posted · Report post

Yes indeed. I LOVED this one. OTOH, the last five minutes made my skin crawl like no other comedy I have ever seen.

Posted · Report post

: the last five minutes made my skin crawl like no other comedy I have ever seen.

Is that still the point of this series? That was what was so great about the original - that it was sooooo excruitiatingly painful to watch at times.

Matt

Posted · Report post

Yeah, that's still the thrust of the show. I missed the second episode, but I think the original scripts will still largely incorporate the dynamics of the BBC show, namely, Brent's self-delusion and its effects.

In that way, it's more like a remix or a cover. Or like seeing two different productions of the same play. The Gareth character has the same sort of power-asperations and delusions of grandeur, but he's clearly different.

What will be most interesting-- assuming the show avoid the axe-- is to see whether the network sticks to the same sort of firm, finite narrative arc of the original.

Posted · Report post

What will be most interesting-- assuming the show avoid the axe-- is to see whether the network sticks to the same sort of firm, finite narrative arc of the original.

This doesn't bode well, but then this info is from a story about the renewal of FOX's Malcolm in the Middle, which currently ranks in 90th place, so there may be hope for The Office...

NBC's The Office may be new, but it's fitting right in at the struggling network, disappearing in its new 9:30 p.m., Tuesday home (74th place, 6 million).

Full story here, about what shows have been picked up, what shows are being cancelled, and what shows are on the cusp.

Posted · Report post

Did anyone watch the basketball episode? It was the first one that had (AFAIK) very little material from the BBC series. And it clicked together perfectly. I'm hoping that NBC either renews this for next year or it gets another six episode mini-season at some point. It's not quite the BBC show, but it's getting better.

Posted · Report post

As someone who loved the BBC version I was skeptical of the US version. I think I made it through the first three episodes with nary a laugh. I don't think I even mustered a smirk.

I just couldn't help but see the original characters and in their new setting all I could say was "that's not how they would act". I have talked to a few people who have never seen the original and find it absolutely hilarious.

Posted · Report post

Despite abysmal numbers, this show was renewed. The story I read said NBC's people compared its slow start to Seinfeld's, which is both puffery and apt. Some of their decision likely corresponds to being a lap down to the other networks and a desire to match Scrubs with something demographically like-minded.

Posted · Report post

Maybe it

Posted · Report post

What is the DEAL with that blonde woman? There

Posted · Report post

And she's the Christian. (Sigh.)

She is? I did not know that.