The Office: USA

MattPage

I don't watch this show (I know, I know...) but everyone over at Whedonesque.com is very excited at the confirmation that Joss Whedon will direct an episode.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

"Dwight had a big personality, and I have a big personality, and a lot of times when two people like that get together, it can be explosive."

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

• 2 weeks later...

Jenna Fischer talking about Joss Whedon directing an episode of The Office:

This week we are shooting with hot shot director Joss Whedon! This has been especially exciting for me because I already knew Joss. (He has known my husband for a long time.) Joss has quickly become one of our favorite directors. The crew loves him. He's a huge fan of the show and therefore gets really into every detail of the show. He watches us even when we are in the background of a scene and compliments our smallest of choices. It's been a total dream. I'm currently the background of a scene and I can see him hunched over the monitors watching a scene and giggling like a little girl. I'm going to miss him.
Edited by Clint M

• 2 weeks later...

"A lot of people die on this episode"

No, that is not a spoiler!

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 2 weeks later...

JJ Abrams: If only your movies were half as good as the episode of The Office you directed.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 2 months later...

This show has become my newest obsession, and I'm very much looking forward to tonight's season finale. Unfortunately, Jenna Fisher (Pam) fell down a flight of stairs Monday and broke 4 vertebrae in her lower back. They she will be okay, but it will take 4 to 6 weeks to recover. That sounds like a pretty crappy way to spend the summer.

Best. Episode tag. Ever. I almost missed it, too, with that stupid long Evan Almighty promo after the (also awesome) end of the episode proper.

The rest of the episode was nice as well; even the story around Jan's

boob job

was better than it ought to have been.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Best. Episode tag. Ever. I almost missed it, too, with that stupid long Evan Almighty promo after the (also awesome) end of the episode proper.

WHAT? I turned the TV off as soon as the "Evan" preview ended.

What'd I miss?? This is killin' me! I loved the episode. I loved this entire season. I love this show.

I'm off to read Creed's blog.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Okay.

Late to the game, but I'm in!! I'm downloading season three from Itunes, and my wife and I love it. It's a bit watered down from the UK version, but good nonetheless.

The Office UK/US is like Lemonade. We like lemonade. We'd prefer fresh squeezed

(UK), but both are refreshing.

For Christian:

Corporate

wanted someone with

an MBA

to

replace Jan

, so they

hired Ryan

. Yes,

Ryan

. And yeah, I almost missed it as well...

For Dan: I just rewatched the entire UK "Office" recently, and, well, I'm not actually sure which one I prefer. Easily, David Brent > Michael Scott, of course, but I think the American "Office" has a much stronger minor supporting cast, and I think the sets of lovebirds are more or less a wash.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Hah! Wonderful punchline! Wish I'd seen it. But thanks for letting me know, Dale.

Now go over to the "Chicago AK-47" thread and explain yourself, please. I thought we Virginians had to stick together.

• 11 months later...

About last night's episode and Jim's

"proposal"

to Pam: I did that!

Before I actually proposed to my wife six years ago, I got down on one knee, told her I loved her, and asked her to tie my shoe.

So when Jim did that to Pam last night, we heartily laughed.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Has there ever been a better show at finding humor in extremely uncomfortable situations? Last night's moment when Toby realized his hand was on Pam's knee, followed by his Costa Rica comment and the scaling of the fence, was one of this shows many Great Moments.

BTW, Kyle: I saw your "fake proposal" acted out just this past week, although I can't remember just where. I think it was in "Baby Mama."

Edited by Christian

• 3 weeks later...

A friend e-mailed this morning and asked what I thought of the season finale. I'm pasting in my reply below, which won't make complete sense outside the context of the other e-mails, but you Office fans are sharp enough to follow along:

It was great, easily the best of the 1-hour episodes, which have been hit-and-miss in the past. Remember that NBC has announced an "Office" spinoff for next season, but hasn't divulged a single detail about the program (leading to speculation that even the network suits have NO IDEA what the show will be about). My guess is that a Toby-centered sitcom wouldn't work, but a Pam-in-New-York sitcom might work. Then again, it's hard to imagine them spinning off any of the characters from the current "Office," especially Pam, so maybe Toby will be the guy around which the new show is centered.

Stanley quit a couple of weeks ago but then returned, saying he only quit as a way to negotiate a raise.

Hey, maybe the spinoff will follow Ryan's exploits -- in jail. :)

That new HR woman has potential. Can't figure out if she's playing on Michael's infatuation with her, or is genuinely infatuated with him.

It was great, easily the best of the 1-hour episodes, which have been hit-and-miss in the past. Remember that NBC has announced an "Office" spinoff for next season, but hasn't divulged a single detail about the program (leading to speculation that even the network suits have NO IDEA what the show will be about). My guess is that a Toby-centered sitcom wouldn't work, but a Pam-in-New-York sitcom might work. Then again, it's hard to imagine them spinning off any of the characters from the current "Office," especially Pam, so maybe Toby will be the guy around which the new show is centered.

Stanley quit a couple of weeks ago but then returned, saying he only quit as a way to negotiate a raise.

Hey, maybe the spinoff will follow Ryan's exploits -- in jail. :)

I bet it's Andy. The last scene would provide plenty of motivation for him to leave the Scranton branch. He's relatively new to the cast, and never became as integral to the Scranton office as Pam. Toby is played by one of the show's writers who is very self-conscious about his acting (which works for that character) and I can't see a show being built him. I suppose it could be Ryan (who is also played by one of the show's writers) after his time in jail (and rehab)

i]Remember that NBC has announced an "Office" spinoff for next season, but hasn't divulged a single detail about the program (leading to speculation that even the network suits have NO IDEA what the show will be about).

My theory is this: With Ryan heading off to jail, Jim will be again offered the position that he had initially turned down at Corporate (that lead to Ryan's promotion). He'll do this because Pam is also moving to New York to study Art. It will be like Joanie Loves Chachi 25 years later.

• 1 month later...

I haven't watched any of the new "webisodes" and saw only one of the earlier ones. Gotta make a point of sitting down and watching these. I'm sure I'll enjoy 'em.

• 4 months later...
Office fans: What's the verdict on this season so far? Now that I've caught up with a few episodes I missed the first time around, I'm enjoying the show more than ever. Holly was a great character; I was sorry to see her go.

Office fans: What's the verdict on this season so far? Now that I've caught up with a few episodes I missed the first time around, I'm enjoying the show more than ever. Holly was a great character; I was sorry to see her go.

Do you think she'll be back? I seem to remember still seeing her in the promos. It seems like Michael Scott is still bent out of shape over her re-locating. Seems probable that she might be back at some point. I hope so, I enjoyed her too.

I've been enjoying the season. Despite my initial reservations, the Office has become a show that doesn't take me much to enjoy.

I also might add that Jim and Pam might quite possibly be my favorite television couple...of all time. Their realism is stunning to watch. They frequently cause me to tear up. Come on, what who wasn't touched by their reunion last night. However, I wish that they would leave tender moments alone and let them stand for themselves. There was no need for Dwight's comedic interruption.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.