Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pets

20 posts in this topic

Within the last year, we've lost 3. First a cat, who just kept getting less and less energetic, loss of appetite, etc. Finally had him euthanized. A few months later our dog (mostly Llasa) just couldn't get around because of arthritis, was deaf, probably getting near blind. Taking animals to be put down is a difficult thing.

Then we got another cat, who was about 9 months old when he got hit by a car a few weeks ago. It's not pleasant to lose a pet that way, but it is a fait accompli and you don't go through the turmoil of the decision.

For now we're petless again. (Except for all the bugs and worms I feed in my composter.)

2 cats here, but eager to have a dog again.

No pets now, but have had hamsters, chinchillas, cats, and dogs. My preference is for big dogs, faves include German Shepherds, Malmutes, Huskies, Labs, etc. Favorite cats have been Maine Coon types, though I have never, ever purchased an animal with papers, so this should read mostly german shepherd, mostly malamute, etc. There are too many good animals at shelters and such. . .

After my favorite chinchilla died (responded to her name, was paper trained, quite special really) with no warning, I decided never again to have an animal that had to be in a cage most of the time.

Now I'm in an apartment, so big dogs aren't an option. We're going to wait for a house and then look for pets.

Two cats right now: Jet and Goliath, both adopted from the Virginia Siamese Rescue.

Goliath is, as his name indicates, quite large. He also exhibits dog-like qualities, which are much to my liking. I'd like to have a dog, but for now, cats are fine.

Edited by Christian

My dog stayed with my parents when I went to college several years ago, so I can't really call her my dog anymore. But of course I still love her. She's an 11 year old yellow lab who went blind in the last month. It happened very quickly, and according to the vet it's the retinas that are the problem, so there's no way to fix it. sad.gif

When our boys were in late elementary they talked us into getting a Cockapoo - part Cocker and part Poodle. Now that they are gone "Taffy" is a wonderful reminder of them as well as a great friend to cuddle up with and read! She's about 13 now, but as "puppyish" as she has ever been!

Denny

We had both a huskie and a labrador/something mix. Last year we had to have the huskie put down because of lymphoma. That was tough.

I love dogs. We have two cats, too... and I like my cats and awful lot... but I love dogs.

Always been a dog man myself. Since '89 when we got married, we've had 3 dogs and 5 cats.

Right now 2 dogs: an 12 yr. old black lab mix (Casey) and a soon to be 3 yr old black bit of everything (Cody).

Three cats: Black 12 yr old adopted feral cat (Cosmo) who has finally settled down from fighting every cat in the 'hood and "the twins", 2 3 yr old grey tabbie/tortoise back products of feral litters (moms were sisters who whelped in a friend's garage). Of the two, Chloe could make me a cat person. We have had a conversational relationship since she was brought home and is clearly "my" cat. All other animals respond equally to both of us.

I guess I might be a cat person if my wife wasn't allergic to them.

We have one dog right now. She's a Chow/German Shepard mix that we got about 5 years ago. I actually got her for my wife who was craving a puppy (or more likely a baby, but he came 2 years later). Not that she isn't loved by or loves my wife, I just had no idea that this dog would really become my dog. But since I trained her, and house-trained her, and was her advocate when my wife wanted to get rid of her after our son was born (my wife came back around) I guess it made sense that she became "mine."

At the moment, we have no pets, but we used to have a cat that came with our rented house. He wanted to stay there. We still miss him. Now that we have a house again, with a yard, we're thinking about a kitten. Or maybe a rescued dog, but I'm more of a cat person. I grew up with many different pets, so I like having an animal or two around. My husband is more of an "animals have their place!" person, but he really liked the rented cat.

I'll keep you posted. unsure.gif

My oldest and middle daughters are animal freaks. We had to give away a cat and not replace a hamster due to my oldest's dander allergy. Oldest now has a leopard gecko and a goldfish. Middle daughter has a goldfish and a hermit crab. As of today, all three have bunnies, thanks to my in-laws.

I have a three-year-old calico cat that I adopted almost a year ago. Her name's Alice, after Alice Vavasor in Anthony Trollope's novel Can You Forgive Her? (yeah, I'm a nerd). She's as sweet as can be but is, unfortunatly, of a sickly nature. Really, though, you couldn't ask for a more loving cat.

My cat Prudence (named after the Beatles' song "Dear Prudence") died suddenly last year after developing cancer. I had her for 12 years. Again, a real sweetie.

I love dogs, too. Throughout the years, my family has had two Chihuahua/Toy Manchester mixes named Tammy and Trixie. Both were small but fierce...but also very loving.

Edited by Diane

Creating this thread so as to separate it from the poll thread.

So my brother buys a folding door to install between my kitchen and living room. It's my early Christmas gift. It's great; it fits perfectly, latches well, and for the past three weeks has been working wonderfully in keeping my dog out of my living room when I'm not there.

Until today.

I come home from work and am greeted by my dog. Strange, I think. Then I see the couch.

It has been demolished. You can't sit on it. She has dug in the middle of the couch, all the way from front to back, and almost to the board under the foam. Foam is everywhere. It's trash.

I am beyond pissed. I put her outside until I could calm down enough. And she is no longer allowed on the couch.

I don't know what to do. Mom said to get a doghouse and keep her outside while I'm gone. I hate to do it--for nothing else than I don't want my neighbors bothered by constant barking (not that she does, but then she's had the option of coming in and out). And with winter coming on I hate to do that. Really, really hate to do that, especially on school nights.

Damn it, damn it, damn it.

Edited by Ann D.

That will really piss you off, but thinking like a dog, there could be reasons. E.g., he may have seen a mouse and been digging in the couch to find it. Or he could be a smart dog (you didn't say what breed) and needs some sort of stimulation while you're away. (Hook a modem up to his dog house so he can read and post at Arts and Faith - Woof, woof. Woof, woof, woof. Arf.) Or if he gets lonely while you're gone, he needs a playmate -- dog, cat, neighbor kid that won't be missed.

I know she's just being a dog. But man, its so frustrating.

My dad made the suggestion of locking the dog door between the kitchen and garage, and just keeping the outside dog door open for you. So while I'm gone, I can put her carrier, food and water in the garage, and she'll be warm enough during the winter.

All of us who have dogs have stories. Ann that's a pretty good one. Not knowing the breed, I'd say that it might be a digging impulse mated to something that piqued his interest in the coach. Boredom, or frustration at not having you around. The frustrating thing about the fact that there are many good books and experts on the subject is that it will involve much time and effort in getting this under control. Cesar's Way is as good as any. Amazon has it pretty cheap. We got ours at Costco.

Today we added a 7 week old kitten (a picture will probably get here sometime when I figure out how to do it). Tough part right now is the dog, who so wants to make friends with her, but is way too hyper about it to be a pleasant experience for her.

Her name is Tippi. She's mostly black with white around mouth and tips of paws. When I heard we were getting a black cat I started thinking "noir". I thought Hitchcock or Truffaut would make good names. (My wife was less enthused). When we found it was female, I switched to an actress in one of Hitchcock's films which went well with the white tips. Plus, Tippi Hedren runs animal rescue someplace now, and this was a rescued feral kitten that would have been coyote food if not for the rescue.

Decided to resurrect this old thread. 

In January, my wife and I decided to get some pets. I had always spoken fondly of the guinea pig I had growing up, so we decided to get two guinea pigs from a local rescue shelter. I was hesitant at first—I don't deal with pet death well, and some of you probably know (thanks to Facebook) I tend to act like a four-year old around animals. But I gave in. We did a bunch of research online and built a cage out of coroplast and modular shelving. Thing is BIG, and we decided to put it in our living room. 

Eight months later, I'm able to say I'm glad we got 'em. The wife was a little skeptical at first, but she quickly warmed up to the pigs. I realize mileage may vary for pets like this, but we have a lot of fun with them—they have a lot of personality for little furry things. As shelter pets, they had some miserable experiences with their previous owners, and it's taking them a long time to warm up to us. But it's happening, and nothing destresses me after an awful day at work like scratching the piggies' heads. 

At the moment, we have no pets, but we used to have a cat that came with our rented house. He wanted to stay there. We still miss him. Now that we have a house again, with a yard, we're thinking about a kitten. Or maybe a rescued dog, but I'm more of a cat person. I grew up with many different pets, so I like having an animal or two around. My husband is more of an "animals have their place!" person, but he really liked the rented cat.

I'll keep you posted. unsure.gif

So much has happened since 2005! A couple months after this post, we adopted a kitten from the local animal shelter. "Take two--they're small!" said the employees, "and they keep each other company." But we didn't think we could afford two.

post-55-0-81610100-1379725291_thumb.jpg

Xander, age small

So we Xander terrorized the household, until one day he came home with a younger kitten from a litter of strays we'd seen in the neighborhood. We bowed to fate and took Buddy in.

post-55-0-34512800-1379725590_thumb.jpg

In 2009, Buddy was euthanized after an aortic thromboembolism. (It's possible for cats to survive, but his outlook was not good.) After a few months, Xander seemed kind of lonely. A fluffy buff tabby caught my eye at a rescue adoption event and Nicco joined the household:

post-55-0-10911500-1379726252_thumb.jpg

Xander is about 15 pounds of standoffish dignity, hunts (baby) rabbits. Nicco about 12 pounds of social fluff and curiosity--he's interested in everything and everyone, including the plumber and wasps, which he will catch and eat.

My husband liked the cats, but for other reasons, left the scene in 2008-10.

Edited by BethR