Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

Idea of the day.

I -- along with another member of PA&FC, who can out himself if he'd like -- am on another, secular cinema discussion group with about 100 other film critics/makers/snobs. One of the aspects of this group I like the best is a weekly feature called "Crix Pix," which lists all the films released in New York so far this year, followed by a list of what members of the group thought of that film. An example:

Open Range (Kevin Costner)

Pro: (5) Anderson, JOHNSON, Smith, Williams, Zywenda

Mixed: (2) Skinner, Von Hauten

Con: (3) ADAMS, GARFIELD, Reagan

All caps means either a really high Pro -- a top-ten contender -- or a really low Con -- The Brown Bunny. I use their version as a quick shorthand of what to see: If my tastes regularly line up with John Adams and Ronald Reagan, perhaps I shouldn't be seeing Open Range.

Yes, this is not a proper replacement for discussion, but some films aren't discussed to death on this forum (Friedmans, for example), and I'd like a little crib sheet that shows what people on this forum think. I'll be happy to handle all the tabulation.

Anyway. It's just an idea.

Dale

What would generally happen is on Saturday or Sunday, everyone would send me the films from 2003 they saw that week, followed by a "PRO," "pro," "mixed," "con," or "CON." But since we're starting from scratch, all participants would need to send me all the films from 2003 they've seen this year, using this list of all films that have opened in New York this year as a starting points.

So, here is an example of what someone might send to the newly created address of promontorypix@yahoo.com:

Afghan Stories

Agent Cody Banks

Alex & Emma

Ali Zaoua: Prince of the Streets

All the Real Girls pro

Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony

Amen

America So Beautiful

American Splendor PRO

American Wedding

The Anarchist Cookbook

And Now Ladies & Gentlemen

Anger Management

Assassination Tango con

Attitude

L'Auberge Espagnole con

Bad Boys II mixed

The Ballad of Bering Strait

Balseros CON

Basic

Bend It Like Beckham con

etcetera. There's no need to delete the ones you haven't seen, at least not for this inital post.

I'm happy to clarify if necessary.

Dale

Guest Russell Lucas

I think it's a great idea. To clarify, though, do you want only responses from proper critics, or do you want jokers like me to answer as well?

Hi. I am assuming the the dearth of e-mails sent to me with people's pros, mixeds, and cons means there is not an interest in playing my game, so le shoppe is closing.

Dale

I love the idea. Can we have a recent DVD release section as well. Their seems to be two-tears of discussion here. New cinema release, and for those of us with kids or who have to pay for all the movies, the recent DVD releases.

It's a great idea; I just didn't know about it until now. You should find a way of querying the whole board. Maybe have an announcements sections on the front page. I've personally seen less than 30 movies this year so my contribution would be small, but I'd love to see the consensus of the more regular critics.

And my beautiful arrow didn't work. Blast it all...

Hi.  I am assuming the the dearth of e-mails sent to me with people's pros, mixeds, and cons means there is not an interest in playing my game, so le shoppe is closing.
I thought we were waiting to see if there were a way of automating it.