Plays with young girls

I'll be bidding farewell to a boat load of talented guys at graduation this year, and underclassMEN don't promise much. I'd like to do some shows with great female roles. Any ideas. I need a fair balance of dramas and comedies.

Arsenic and Old Lace is already on the list, but I'm not particularly fond of Little Women or Steel Magnolias.

Any suggestions?

Ron, Bortz, Mando, SZPT? Anybody?

I'll be bidding farewell to a boat load of talented guys at graduation this year, and underclassMEN don't promise much.  I'd like to do some shows with great female roles. Any ideas.  I need a fair balance of dramas and comedies.

Arsenic and Old Lace is already on the list, but I'm not particularly fond of Little Women or Steel Magnolias.

Any suggestions?

Ron, Bortz, Mando, SZPT?  Anybody?

What range of actors do you have? And how many actors are you dealing with? There's _Agnes of God_, _A...My name is Alice_, _Pajama party_, _Crimes of the heart_, or _The Effect of Gamma rays on man-in-the-moon marigolds_.

Or you could be a bit experimental and do an all female version of a play like _Julius Caesar_, or _The Good Woman of Szechuan_.

That's a few that come to mind.

Joe

natureofthebeat.svbtle.com

I wasn't really kidding on that last one. I remember one of the girls way back in High School Drama did a scene from it. [edit] Fascinating side story: Talking yesterday with a lady in my church, I learned that due to the anti-nurture teachings of a para-church organization she had suffered from MPD. It is amazing what healing God has brought to her life, all things considered. She's writing a book about it all that she, per her parent's request, will wait to try and publish.

Back to your question.... [/edit] There's also The Diary of Anne Frank. Hmmm, what else? Following jfutral's suggestion: The Odd Couple with women? A Midsummer Night's Dream has a lot of women roles and Puck could be played by a girl too. Maybe you can find or write a play based on Ruth and Naomi.

I'm just spouting stuff out right now. I need to go to bed.

Edited by SZPT

I'd say that your thread title sounds REALLY gross, and it should be changed. I wish I had play suggestions, but I unfortunately don't.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I should have mentioned thisis a Christian school. A little profanity is okay, but subject matter like Agnes of God would be out of the question. I love Crimes of the Heart but it might be a little questionable as well.

Need to read the pajama party and my name is alice, good suggestions. I just did Judgment at Nuremberg, so I'm reticent to hit the holocaust again with anne Frank.

The female Odd Couple. anybody seen it? Is it any good?

I'd say that your thread title sounds REALLY gross, and it should be changed. I wish I had play suggestions, but I unfortunately don't.

Have to agree with crimson. I did a ohmy.gif when I read the thread title.

My high school did 12 Angry Men, renamed 12 Angry Women. 'Course, that might sound too much like a National Organization of Women chapter meeting.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

The shock succeeded! Especially after I posted and saw, Plays with Young Girls - Mark.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Hmmm. Of the plays I've seen in recent years, Albee's A Delicate Balance had the most memorable female role, but I can't remember if the women in that play are more dominant characters than the men. Might be worth investigating, though.

I recently saw Sophy Treadwell's Machinal, which played to great critical acclaim. It has a great role for a woman, but the play is rarely produced these days; it's difficult to pull off.

Picnic has some great parts for women, as does Tea and Sympathy.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I'm sure you'd like to have more than one girl in the play, but Wendy Wasserstein's Tender Offer might be a suitable one-act--only 2 characters: a father and a daughter, described as 9, but could be older.

The recent FILM thread on OT reminded me of Our Town. I know, it's been around forever, and old cynical folk may be thinking "What a cliche!", but to high schoolers, it may be amazingly poignant, and "Emily" is a great role for some girl. My nephew, usually very cool, recently surprised everyone by throwing himself into his school's production in the role of the alcoholic choir director.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I've decided to save Our Town for the first production in a the new theatre space the school wants to build (well, I hope they want to). This nice new space and I do a show with two ladders. It'll be a poignant reminder that it ain't about the space.

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie? Too hot?

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

How large of a cast would you like?

Lee Blessing's Eleemosynary ... great play for women, but only three actors in it.

There's a collection published by Seattle Children's Theatre with a decent adaptation of Anne of Green Gables in it ... could be done with 2-3 guys and 5-6 girls, methinks.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.