Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Extended 'Fellowship''2 Towers' hit theatres BEFORE 'Return'

Woo hoo!!

VARIETY: 'Rings' will bow before the 'King'

Xoanon @ 10:00 am EST

Before any king can return, New Line Cinema will re-release of the first two \"Lord of the Rings\" pics worldwide, this time with additional scenes and footage added.  

Just two weeks before the Dec. 17 release of \"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King\" -- the final installment of the Peter Jackson-helmed epic trilogy -- the first two \"Ring\" entries will be unspooling worldwide.  

In memoranda sent to exhibitors on Wednesday, New Line laid out a game plan to promote the third film by refreshing filmgoers' memories with \"The Fellowship of the Ring\" and \"The Two Towers.\"  

Plan calls for putting the films on 100-150 screens in top 10 U.S. markets. Many other U.S. cities will have one cinema participating in the special extended edition screenings. Running times for the extended editions are 208 minutes for \"Fellowship of the Ring\" and 214 minutes for \"The Two Towers.\"  

Advanced ticket sales are scheduled to begin in late September or early October on exhibitor Web sites and movie ticketing sites like Fandango, MovieFone and Movietickets.com.  

\"The release of the third film affords us a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to give audiences a compelling new theatrical experience of Peter Jackson's sprawling vision for this trilogy,\" said Rolf Mittweg, prexy and chief operating officer for worldwide distribution and marketing.  

The cost, one New Line insider estimated, will be between $10 million and $15 million. Due to the extended length of the new prints, the move is being cast as a promotional tool rather than a moneymaker.  

\"It is important to note,\" the memo says, \"that these events are produced as a marketing/publicity stunt and not as a revenue generating opportunity\" and that media support will be limited largely to the Internet and participating theaters.  

Starting the week of Dec. 5, the extended DVD cut of \"Fellowship of the Ring\" will be released in some 100 or so theaters in the U.S. and in 20 theaters in Canada.  

Then, the week of Dec. 12, sequel \"Two Towers\" will unspool, just a month after having preemed on DVD, leading up to a worldwide Dec. 16 daylong marathon, during which all three films will be shown back-to-back. Exhib guidelines call for a 3 p.m. showing of \"Fellowship\" followed by a 7 p.m. screening of \"Two Towers\" and then an 11 p.m. screening of \"Return of the King,\" which will carry over into Dec. 17 -- the day of its global release.  

Overseas, it's not yet clear whether all exhibs will be showing the new footage-added prints of the previous \"Rings\" pics. According to one New Line insider, the decision is being left to exhibs, which will make their requests known to New Line in the next few weeks.  

Italy and Japan will not immediately be included in the foreign promotional blitz. Italo comedies dominate that country around the holidays, and corporate sibling Warner Bros. will be carpeting Japan with the next \"Harry Potter\" pic. Triad of \"Rings\" pics will instead screen in January in Italy and February in Japan.  

\"King\" is produced by Barrie M. Osborne, Fran Walsh and Jackson, with a screenplay by Walsh & Philippa Boyens and Jackson, based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Hey Dude,

Man thats going to be so awesome i get to see the Fellowship of the ring again Yessssss. Nice dude thanks for the info smile.gif

Thanks 8)

"Whos more of the fool,the fool or the fool who follows". Obi-Wan Kenobi

Brent M.

This does indeed rock! Woohoo!

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Ummm...awesome?!? YES!!

I don't think I could have imagined a better way to both refresh the viewers' memories and build momentum for 'Return'. On the other hand, an 11 hour marathon in a theatre full rabid Rings fans is a dicey proposition at best.

Nevertheless: awesome, awesome...

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

Links to our threads on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) and The Hobbit: There and Back Again (2013).

Links to our threads on the theatrical versions of The Two Towers (Aug-Sep 2003), The Return of the King (Sep 2003 - Sep 2009) and the trilogy as a whole (Dec 2003 - present).

Links to our threads on the extended editions of The Two Towers (Nov-Dec 2003), The Return of the King (Mar 2004 - May 2005) and the trilogy as a whole (Feb 2005 - Jun 2006), plus our threads-with-polls on which extended editions are our favorites (Dec 2004) and which extended editions we would rank first (Dec 2004 - Jul 2008).

Link to our thread on the "limited edition" DVDs (Jun-Nov 2006).

Links to our more thematic threads on 'Religious imagery in LotR page to screen' (Aug 2003), 'GANDALF THE GrAY' (Oct 2003 - Oct 2009), 'God in Lord of the Rings type books' (Nov 2003 - Apr 2004), 'anyone got a LOTR electronic press kit / lots of photos?' (Dec 2003), 'McKellen: No Source of Morality in Hobbiton?' (Dec 2003), 'Re-reading LOTR in light of the films, Who do you see in your mind?' (Nov 2005), 'Favorite lines: LOTR & Narnia books, nominate yours! (Nov-Dec 2005).

Links to our threads on spin-offs and spoofs like 'Howard Shore conducts LOTR symphony!' (Jul 2004) and 'Lord of the Rings by George Lucas' (Oct 2006).

Links to our 'Literature' threads on 'Lord of the Rings: Real Tales' (Aug 2003) and 'The Hobbit - Illustrated by Maurice Sendak' (Mar 2011).

Links to our thread on such technically unrelated projects as the animated version of The Lord of the Rings (1978), the documentary Ringers: Lord Of The Fans (2005) and the stage production The Lord of the Rings: The Musical (2006-2007).

- - -

WhyFjord wrote:

: On the other hand, an 11 hour marathon in a theatre full rabid Rings fans

: is a dicey proposition at best.

Especially when (1) no one knows how good Return of the King will be (will it continue the downward trend from Fellowship to Two Towers and be the, uh, if not worst, then least good of the films, or will it rebound and be at least the second-best film in the trilogy?) and (2) the first two installments will be the full-length, more character-oriented extended versions and the third installment will be the shorter, more effects-oriented original theatrical version.

But yeah, I think I may have to do the marathon thing too. Woo-hoo!

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

First Jeffrey says, "Let's try to avoid filling threads with mere fanboy stuff," in the Star Wars thread. Then he goes and posts this! Is there some playing favorites here? Hmmm?

Hehe... I'm just playing around with you. This sounds cool -- except I wonder how far I'll have to travel to catch such a marathon.

Peter:

...or will it rebound and be at least the second-best film in the trilogy?

You don't think it could be better than Fellowship? As you say yourself, no one knows how good it is.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Darryl A. Armstrong wrote

You don't think it could be better than
Fellowship
? As you say yourself, no one knows how good it is.

That's why Peter said at least the second best. He wasn't excluding the possibility that it might be the very best.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Okay, perhaps I have opened a can of worms with my comment on the Star Wars thread about not letting the threads devolve into fanboy rambling.

Here's what was driving that comment:

I'm glad we have a lot of freedom on this board to discuss just about any and everything. However, I do hope the board is distinguished from others by offering discussions, debate, and information (including news).

In other words, threads like Name Your Top Ten Star Wars Characters sounds like something you'd find on the Yahoo Star Wars Maniacs thread. No problem there, and I'd gladly throw in with my list. But this board is, in my vision, a place where people pursuing discussions of art and spirituality will delightedly discover something a little more serious and exploratory, a little less trivia-based.

Posting news that leads to discussion is one thing. A lot of us are interested in artists, their career choices, trends, which stories are being brought to the screen and what potential they have for being meaningful works. So that doesn't seem out of line to me, whereas a thread like "Which is the best Bond movie?" would seem a little frivolous unless it led to a serious discussion.

Besides, we have some folks participated here precisely because there are substantive conversations happening, and I'd like to keep them around.

I'm afraid I'm going to sound upset or like a strict schoolteacher or something, and I'm really not that concerned. It was more of a reaction against what I don't want to see happen than it was a call to order.

:smash:

Having said that, I'm not anywhere near deleting threads. I enjoy getting into the details about the difference between Jackson's "Two Towers" and Tolkien's (although that doesn't feel like fanboy rambling so much as a discussion of the process of film-to-screen adaptation). And if you really want to pursue "What are your favorite Star Wars scenes? What's your favorite Star Wars quote? How many Star Wars toys do you have and what are they?" go ahead. Let's just try to not to lose track of why this board exists as opposed to others...

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

SDG:

That's why Peter said at least the second best. He wasn't excluding the possibility that it might be the very best.

Oops! Sorry. I don't know how I misread that... #-o

Jeffrey:

Okay, perhaps I have opened a can of worms with my comment on the Star Wars thread about not letting the threads devolve into fanboy rambling.  

Besides, we have some folks participated here precisely because there are substantive conversations happening, and I'd like to keep them around.

I told you I was just joking... :biggrin: But it's nice to have all of that stated, in any case. Do you think it might be helpful to have some sort of mission statement or something posted somewhere for newcomers?

And I'd just like to add that the "substantive conversations" here are certainly why I enjoy this board so much and what makes it so unique. I rarely get the chance to talk about movies in depth to anyone besides my one friend Kevin, so it's wonderful to have a place to do so and get feedback. Most everyone at my church is of the opinion that Hollywood is the devil's playground and movies (besides Disney classics) ought to be avoided like the plague. And then in more secular surroundings I find it hard to simply discuss films and art in general because I find that our woldviews differ so drastically -- as soon as I bring up a spiritual issue or analogy, they often assume I'm trying to convert them and become defensive. And while I'm not at all opposed to using art for such puposes as spreading the gospel (and even think it should be used so), sometimes I just want to talk about a film. Plus, reading everyone else's thoughts is at times enlightening and even inspiring.

So thanks Jeffrey and all other Admins and Mods! :luxhello:

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

FWIW, a friend from New Zealand just posted this on my Facebook wall:

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.