Sign in to follow this  
DanBuck

THE CAR THREAD

Just out for curiousity does fuel efficiency come in to the equation when people are buying cars?

It did for me. Otherwise I'd be driving a big honking Toyota Sequoia right now.

I needed a car big enough for two car seats in the back and a double stroiller. But within that parameter I found the most compact fuel efficient SUV I could find. (well, there was the Suburu Forester, but it looks like a gawky pubescent station wagon.) Minivans were, on average 10k moe expensive.

Part of the reason I askl is tha you have very low fuel taxation in the states compared to over here, and so I was curious as to whether that was a factor in car buying over her eas it is (in some circles) over here.

Matt

Part of the reason I askl is tha you have very low fuel taxation in the states compared to over here, and so I was curious as to whether that was a factor in car buying over her eas it is (in some circles) over here.

Matt

For good reason. We are not at all as dense on this continent as you folks. In most parts of the country, it takes a while to get somewhere (my commute to work is about 20/25 minutes unless I'm running behind, in which case it is 15 minutes, heh heh).

Fuel efficiency is tangential to my decisions, as in these two cars meet my needs, which might be less costly in the consumption/purchase price equation. Detroit is a used car buyer's heaven and we both need hauling capacity as we refinish furniture for resale as well as personal use. We recycle in our own unique way. Almost everything we purchase that we do not eat or wear is something someone else does not want anymore. That takes carrying capacity, thus the wagon and mini-van.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

We are not at all as dense on this continent as you folks.

pinch.gif That could soooo be taken the wrong way. I had to read it twice in context before I got the intended meaning.

Hey, it was only due to your post that i realised it wasn't Rich being cheeky. Now I suspect it's just a double entendre.

Matt

For good reason. We are not at all as dense on this continent as you folks. In most parts of the country, it takes a while to get somewhere (my commute to work is about 20/25 minutes unless I'm running behind, in which case it is 15 minutes, heh heh).

Fuel efficiency is tangential to my decisions, as in these two cars meet my needs, which might be less costly in the consumption/purchase price equation. Detroit is a used car buyer's heaven and we both need hauling capacity as we refinish furniture for resale as well as personal use. We recycle in our own unique way. Almost everything we purchase that we do not eat or wear is something someone else does not want anymore. That takes carrying capacity, thus the wagon and mini-van.

Actually I used to have a 70 minute daily commute to work, followed by an 80 minute commute back (we are that dense!). That said I do suspect that if, to use an extreme hypothetical situation, fuel was

By the way this...

: Almost everything we purchase that we do not eat or wear is something someone else does not want anymore

...is great, both in general and particularly . Cars allegedly use more energy in their creation than in theior working lifetime.

Matt

Agreed. I guess you could say I'm an automotive recycler. Restoration is recycling. Here is a mockup of how a 2003 Mustang Cobra IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) will go into my son's 1963 Mercury Meteor.

[attachmentid=225]

I can't understand people who think they need to replace a whole car just because it's 40 years old! wink.gif

post-938-1116941064_thumb.jpg

Yours truly,

ABP

No one with a good car needs to be justified. -- Hazel Motes

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

Hot Rod Anglican blog ...

Hey, it was only due to your post that i realised it wasn't Rich being cheeky. Now I suspect it's just a double entendre.

Ouch. Never caught that. If I really attempt cheek in the future, I'll give good hints.

Actually I used to have a 70 minute daily commute to work, followed by an 80 minute commute back (we are that dense!). That said I do suspect that if, to use an extreme hypothetical situation, fuel was

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I can't understand people who think they need to replace a whole car just because it's 40 years old!  wink.gif

I'm thinking of treating my car to a repainting next year in honor of its 20th birthday.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make it orange and purple spots so that we can spot it and find it in big parking lots.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Sorry, stef. I think it just has to be black. I'll get some sort of remote or homing beacon so we can find it in Bartertown.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never seen this thread before today. I find myself making it out of the films forum more often in 2005. First time ever for this, because honestly, I don't have much of an interest in smelly movies.

Anyway, I have an ugly little purple car that I won by pregnant default. It's paid for, though, so I will have it til it's dead, like, really dead.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Jaguars must be the MOST overrated car in the world.

AMEN. Except I'd probably put the Land Rover slightly ahead in that category. Land Rovers are not built for big men. I valet parked cars last summer, and man did I cringe when I saw either of those pull up.

I forgot to post about my 1963 Olds F-85 wagon. As you can see, it's not quite finished. It has a Buick 3.5L all-Aluminum V-8. Spoiler is from a Dodge neon, I think. It will have 1959 Cadillac wheel covers with bullets in the centers. Headlights are 1998 Jaguar XJR.

[attachmentid=231][attachmentid=232]

post-938-1117066792_thumb.jpg

post-938-1117066822_thumb.jpg

Yours truly,

ABP

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

ABP, you impute coolness to the rest of us with your mere presence...

Thank you for saying so, Alan. But I think it works the other way round, also. I am honoured to be here.

Yours truly,

ABP

Nice car. Good ad. Makes me want to search comps just to see. I've never knowingly been acquainted with a seller at cars.com before. blush.gif We've had good luck on that site in the past.

That really sucks. I typically hate buying cars as well, partly because I know so little about cars and partly because the sales people seem so desperate at time.

Renae and I had a really good "new car experience" when we got our '06 Accord. Which was nice because it was the first major purchase of our marriage that we got to really participate in, research, and work at. (Our house doesn't count because it basically landed in laps and we didn't have to do any work -- not that I'm complaining.) The Honda dealership we went to was just topnotch.

However, the Saturn dealership we went to -- I previously owned a Saturn, and so we thought we'd at least check out what they had now -- was the exact opposite. We were marginally interested in a new Saturn when we arrived on the lot. Suffice to say, we'd lost all interest by the time we left.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Well, we drove a new '07 Toyota Sienna off the lot today. Never thought we'd end up with a minivan, but here we are. (Right, Tim?)

Yeah, with a growing family, the only thing worse than owning a minivan is NOT owning one! (Hate to admit it, but we have two of them...)

Sorry to hear about your car buying experience, Alan. Hopefully, the vehicle will be safe and trouble-free.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

If that is true, why did you stick with Toyota for the deal? Sienna is a good vehicle, $500 over is an excellent deal, but it can be replicated (Dean is a past master/mistress of such negotiations). I'm wondering why the bad experience was rewarded.

TWO of them, Tim? Is that for fail-over, so that when one's in the shop, you can still get around with everyone in one car? I've been thinking about that issue myself, but I think I'm OK with our second car being much smaller (and greener, eventually). If we're really hard-pressed for a day or two, we can rent.

We had a combinations of reasons for buying a second minivan when we bought them (5+ years ago), including car pooling and renovations (to haul supplies). We've looked extensively at other options, but car pooling remains the challenge (one of the after school runs for my wife will involve 6 kids, I think). Still, at least one of the vans is soon to depart.

But have you seen this?

ZENN_side_blue_sm.jpg

I've spent quite a bit of time reading about the ZENN cars this week after I read a startling article about breakthrough battery technlogy (licensed by ZENN); I've been trying to separate fact from fiction since. Another article here was followed by a lively online discussion about the believability of this story... but the investors include some very sharp people.

The company is also backed by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, a venture-capital powerhouse that has an impressive track record: it made early and highly successful bets on Google, Amazon.com, and Sun Microsystems, among others.

They have dealers across the US -- anyone seen them on the road?

post-40-1189096928_thumb.jpg

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

We paid off my Mazda 6 last month, about 16 months into a 48-month loan. In the meantime we had purchased a Kia Sedona minivan and realized that two car payments, "reasonable" though they were (mid-$200s each), would be difficult to sustain for the next few years. We socked some money into CDs and were able to pay off the Mazda early. That's a great feeling.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

FWIW, a "Smart Car" dealership opened up very closeby. I'll going to try for a test drive soon, hopefully.

There's one near where I once lived before moving "out of the house". They sold one the first week they were open and the car has gotten good press from the "buff books" as well as the rigorous automotive press and sections here. Toughest problem to overcome: top heavy feel when cornering seems to be the consensus. It has gotten universal compliments for interior space (less so for actual cargo space, but said to be not bad).

Agreed. I guess you could say I'm an automotive recycler. Restoration is recycling. Here is a mockup of how a 2003 Mustang Cobra IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) will go into my son's 1963 Mercury Meteor.

I can't understand people who think they need to replace a whole car just because it's 40 years old! ;)

Long overdue update on this project:

IRS is in the car and functional. I drove it to work today.

Yours truly,

ABP

FWIW, a "Smart Car" dealership opened up very closeby. I'll going to try for a test drive soon, hopefully.

Did you ever test drive the "Smart," Alan?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

IRS is in the car and functional. I drove it to work today.

That was GREAT. OTOH, "fine"? Isn't that a little snooty? The engine sounds wonderful! MPG? Octane?

BTW, I'd LOVE to see the looks on some rodder's face when you dare him to drag you through the Coolidge dogleg.

Edited by Rich Kennedy