Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

How does your garden grow?

Let's compare our horticultural doings.

Last year we completely redid our back yard. We have lots of flowers (and in southern CA, we can cut flowers almost year round). To know what all we have, I'd have to get my wife to tell me. I usually just say, pink flower, purple flower, yellow flower. I know we have some foxglove (I really like foxglove), about 5 roses of various types, a couple hybiscus.

When we did our planting last year we put in two grapevines - a Flame Seedless (which is almost ready to harvest, even though it doesn't produce much) and a Cabernet Sauvignon (still a bir from harvesting and, no, it doesn't produce enough to make wine).

We currently have a couple tomato plants in a half barrel, a supersteak (which doesn't do very much, although the one we've eaten so far was pretty good), and a yellow pear (which is very productive and tasty.)

checked the grapes after supper....

either birds or mice stripped them bare.

blowup.gif

It's two years old, which means it's now way overgrown. We still enjoy sitting out and watching the hummingbirds come to the feeder -- and the wars that entails, they are really territorial and don't seem to fathom that the feeder keeps refilling and there's food for everyone.

grapes are growing -- hopefully now that we have a dog, it will keep critters out of the grapes -- our previous dog rid the yard of possums. Hard to believe a llasa would destroy one so readily.

New dog also eats the drip system. I have to work on that.