Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Do you give blood?

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's time for the annual summer blood shortage. Only a small percentage of people (I've heard as low as 3%) give blood. Some aren't able to for a number of reasons. I view it as a form of tithing.

It's time for the annual summer blood shortage.  Only a small percentage of people (I've heard as low as 3%) give blood.  Some aren't able to for a number of reasons.  I view it as a form of tithing.

Darrel - How do you determine the amount your blood is worth in relationship to tithing?

or

Do you just give 10% of your blood?

Darrel - How do you determine the amount your blood is worth in relationship to tithing?

or

The normal body has 8-10 pints of blood. if you give a pint, that's about 1/10. But actually, since I think of tithing more as attitude than as law, I see giving blood as part of my overall stewardship of what God has given to me. Since I am blessed to be healthy enough to give blood, one of the ways I give thanks to God for that health is by sharing it with someone who needs it.

: I view it as a form of tithing.

I view not doing it as a form of me not passing out when they show me the needle they'll be using to bleed me dry. (So to speak.)

Dale

I view not doing it as a form of me not passing out when they show me the needle they'll be using to bleed me dry.  (So to speak.)

don't look. Besides you're laying down, so you don't have far to fall when you pass out.

stretcher.gif

Really, it's not at all bad. I rarely even feel more than a minor stick, and if I feel more, it's usually gone within 10 seconds.

Doing Apheresis even gives me time to watch a movie. It used to require a needle in both arms, but now they do it single needle.

Um? Dude? No. I nearly passed out watching my mom give blood. I had to leave the room when they described what would be done to Kim if she had to have a c-section. Forced to choose between giving blood and playing somone $250 to give it in my place, I wouldn't hesitate a second before choosing the latter. No. No. No.

Dale, who has too many other dumb fears and phobias to mention

or

The normal body has 8-10 pints of blood. if you give a pint, that's about 1/10. But actually, since I think of tithing more as attitude than as law, I see giving blood as part of my overall stewardship of what God has given to me. Since I am blessed to be healthy enough to give blood, one of the ways I give thanks to God for that health is by sharing it with someone who needs it.

I apologize if I did not take this as seriously as intended. My wife also has the same thoughts on this. I, on the other hand, am too high anxiety when it comes to things such as this.

I used to go every 56 days. I'm O neg and CMV neg, so my blood is rare enough that they'd call me to remind me on day 57 if I forgot. I enjoyed doing it.

Then in '97, the Central Blood Bank had an awful screwup with one of their processing centers that ended up in a bunch of units getting mislabeled. I got a call telling me I might have Hepatitis C based on the presence of antibodies. I got tested at the hospital, and there was no presence of Hep C or any of its antibodies. The Blood Bank came back to me later and asked me to be retested so they could determine the extent of the mislabeling. I never heard from them. I've inquired several times whether they could fix my status or retest me (generally, I feel compelled to do it when they put out an emergency call on the news). Each time they've declined to do so. I'm sure fed'l regs or some other legal red tape form the basis of their reticence, but, man. Their screwup has cost me from being able to give for them and for the Red Cross, and makes me go through this dumb story every time there's a call to donate for someone.

I just gave blood four hours ago. biggrin.gif

Used to do it all the time before we moved, will be doing it more regularly now that my work will be scheduling quarterly blood drives.

Edited by SDG

I give blood fairly regularly, whenever the Red Cross people call me to remind me.

Hey, at least they give you free juice and cookies when it's over. smile.gif

Edited by Crow

I gave irregularly before I got married, then regularly afterward, because Sarah was a regular giver. I

The first time I gave blood back in the late eighties? Was sitting there being drained of my life force? I looked up at the nurse, removed my glasses and said, "I think I'm going to pass ou..."

What was suppose to be a twenty minuter procedure turned into two hours with me sitting there waiting silently to go home. Felt, nauseated all night and partly the next day. Nurse said, "It was good that you told us before you actually passed out or you would have still been hooked up!"

They told me to not come back--ever.

: [T]he bulk of my donation time continued to be spent

: answering the endless

Apheresis is the process of pulling pesky bugs off rosebushes.

Or perhaps the process of composing pithy sayings.

I have given blood, but not for a while. I should look into it.

Is it me, or

is

the

site

running

incredibly

slow?

Edited by mrmando

When I was seven, I had cancer. I was the recipient of a whole lot of blood during the surgeries that cut that foul stuff out of me, but as a result of my disease, the Red Cross will not allow me to donate blood.

But I send out a hearty "thank you" to everyone who does, since I was a beneficiary of such largesse.

Then in '97, the Central Blood Bank had an awful screwup with one of their processing centers that ended up in a bunch of units getting mislabeled.
Edited by TexasWill

It's time for the annual summer blood shortage.  Only a small percentage of people (I've heard as low as 3%) give blood.  Some aren't able to for a number of reasons.  I view it as a form of tithing.

It's the Crimson Tithe!

Apheresis (now sometimes called Automated Donation) is a process in which they take out blood, run it through a centrifuge, take out parts they want (almost always platelets, often plasma, occasionally RBC) then run the rest of it back into you, so they get more that they can use, and you give less. (My understanding is that most whole blood is also separated out int o components, but it takes about 3 whole blood donations to get what they take in one apheresis donation.)

Instead of a 20 minute process, it takes about 1.5 - 2 hours (just enough to watch a movie). Because they don't take everything, you don't have to wait 56 days (although they don't take RBC more frequently than 56 days). I do it every 3-4 weeks, depending on my schedule. Every so often an apheresis donor may be matched to a particular patient (usually some sort of cancer) to provide needed material frequently.

Dan: That would be a great line for a church blood drive in Alabama.

I give all the time, mostly because I don't mind needles and I think I kinda like the attention:

"Did that hurt at all?"

Me: (brave face) "No."

I'll also second the free food and drink mention. One of my favorite T-shirts is the one they were giving out late last year that had the retro guy winking and saying "Free cookies!"

I'm reminded of the episode of King of the Hill where Peggy tries to beat her next door neighbor by giving enough blood to get a free mug before she does, but ends up passed out on the couch for several days. That's so something I would do.

It was easy to give in High School, because the Blood Drive was right in the gym. I'll have to make more of a conscious effort in college. Plus--what's the stuff called that you can give and get money for it? Plasma? I'm going to have to find one of those places for sure.

Apheresis (now sometimes called Automated Donation) is a process in which they take out blood, run it through a centrifuge, take out parts they want (almost always platelets, often plasma, occasionally RBC) then run the rest of it back into you, so they get more that they can use, and you give less.
Edited by gigi

I helped pay for classes at one point by giving plasma twice a week. At $15 bucks a pop ($20 every other month) it supplemented my payments well. Until one day the orderly inserted the needle and it felt wrong. I told him so, he told me No, it's in correctly.

Incredibly painful, they finally took it out after--and I acquired a hematoma bruise that covered my arm from elbow to wrist; the needle had been in too deep and pierced the other wall of the vein.

Now I give blood every 6-8 weeks. Coming back from Africa was fun: Nairobi is the only city in Africa sanctioned as a 'hepatitis free zone', which means you can give blood immediately upon returning to the states if so desired.

I was also traveling with HEART, who educate on prevention of such diseases, filming their seminars. I explained this to the nurse, who pretty much ignored everything I said to tell me how disease is spread and what preventive measures need to be taken, and did I take them? Did I step outside Nairobi even once?

"Well, actually, I hitch-hiked along the highway of death until a truck carrying several hundred diseased monkeys took me as far as the Kitum cave, where I slept fitfully due to all the bat activity and the moisture in the air--but other than that, no, we stayed at the Marriott the whole time, educating poolside Britons."

Edited by Jason Bortz

Jason Bortz wrote:

: I helped pay for classes at one point by giving plasma twice a week. At $15 bucks a

: pop ($20 every other month) it supplemented my payments well.

It always catches me off guard when I hear that Americans get PAID to donate blood -- a phenomenon I first encountered while watching Michael Moore's Roger & Me about ten years ago. Here in Canada we just get the cookies. Or got, past tense, the cookies. The Red Cross used to handle this stuff but I think they stopped after a tainted-blood scandal back in the '90s; I think some federal agency handles this now.

And no, I haven't donated blood in AGES, if ever. I hate, hate, HATE needles.

In fact, I have a vivid memory of being in hospital the day before surgery, about 15 years ago, and the nurse coming in to give me my IV hook-up, and remarking that the veins on the back of my hand had disappeared -- shrunken away at the thought of a needle piercing them. When I saw The Godfather Part III some time after that, I think it was, and I knew that I would have to go in for surgery again in a few months, I cringed at the sight of Al Pacino in the hospital, and the IV drip attached to the back of his hand -- even though we never got a good look at it. Mafia dons getting blown away by helicopter-borne machine guns? That I can handle. IV drips? They make me shiver in unmentionable places.