Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Do you give blood?

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We don't get paid to donate blood, Peter.

Some used to get paid, but they stopped doing that when AIDS was discovered to be transferred through the blood.

Right. I was just clarifying Peter's reading of Jason's post. Jason isn't donating "blood," per se, when he gets paid. Maybe this isn't a distinction worth making.

I've always been envious of the plasma donors, who get treated like royalty at the donor centers -- VCRs, movies, headphones. Almost makes me want to donate plasma.

Yeah, plasma centers are different--and they take much more time; the process of draining, culling the plasma from the centrifuge, then reinserting the blood is arduous (about 1.5 hours), so they probably feel a stipend is called for. When I donate blood, it takes maybe 20 minutes and there's no stipend--but there's juice, cheese, cookies and donuts galore!

Some used to get paid, but they stopped doing that when AIDS was discovered to be transferred through the blood.

Well, some might have...I think the donate/stipend camps have been around a lot longer than that...but here's an interesting read.

Edited by Jason Bortz

I give blood several times a year - usually when my blood bank calls and says, "We need your type of blood." I'm fairly certain they say that to everyone - but it is a line I can't resist.

Denny

I faint. I fainted once trying to give blood when they pricked my ear to test my blood for iron (or whatever they do). That may have been me thinking about it too much, but I think some combination of me having not a lot of blood and having very low blood pressure makes me prone to faint when I give blood. That makes sense to me, but maybe I made it up. Say I only have 8 pints of blood, and they take one out, and my blood doesn't move very fast -- doesn't it make sense that that would have a negative effect on my body? I'm not talking long term negative effect.

Anyway...needles don't bother me. I can do it but it's a very uncomfortable experience for me. So I don't.

When I had to give blood for my marriage license, I told the woman I wan't very good at giving blood, but she said she was very good at taking it, and had never seen anyone faint. I showed her...

I used to give blood often. Well, as often as I could. We would have blood drives at my college frequently, which is really cool. There was always a huge turnout.

My junior year: everything seems normal, I wasn't ill, I had enough sleep, and so on. They insert the needle, and something seems wrong. It hurts. I tell the person watching the needle this. She frowns, inserts it again. Still feels weird. Long story short(er), they barely got enough blood off of me, and I pass out on the way to the couch (and once more on the couch, after a doctor nudged my face to wake me up). I vomited once, and ended up having a bruise on my arm for three weeks or so.

I tried again a year later. I prayed prior to it, and I thanked God afterward that I ended up not passing out. But I was still dizzy, queasy, and very very white after the fact. I had to sit at a table--head down--to be able to walk out of the place.

So I'm terrified now, of giving blood. I feel phantom pains when someone suggests it. I shake thinking about it. Hopefully this'll pass someday.

I am in a category I don't see above...and I am guessing a few people around here are also in my boat.

Would like to again, but I've visited a "blackout" country too recently.

I feel like a prejudice has been held against me...well, I don't feel that badly.

I''m going to give blood today after work. I'm O negative, universal donor, so I am always in big demand.

When I was a poor art student in grad school, living in the frozen midwest, I stared selling plazma one winter to get some extra cash. Of course being from Texas I always wore about 25 pounds of cloths even when I was inside in an attempt to stay warm. The nurse weighed you every time you donated. The first spring day I donated blood I was so much lighter (due to the 25 lbs of cloths I wasn't wearing ) that the head nurse came over and reamed me out good for not taking care of myself and losing so much weight. It kind of pissed me off and I stopped going there.

I have fainted while donating blood watching the nurse trying to find the vein in someone else. But I have good veins and almost always get the needle on the first stick.