Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Coffee Maker Died

Oh, NOW you tell me!

Turns out my Hamilton Beach model, which I really do like, sometimes ... doesn't ... get all the coffee ... into ... the carafe!

There, I said it!

I'm tired of wiping the counter, and the pots and pans into which the coffee spills (through the cooktop), but I'm not admitting defeat. I'm hoping that I merely selected a defective unit, not a bad model of coffee maker, so I've exchanged the unit for a new one. I've yet to make any coffee in the new coffee maker. Maybe tomorrow.

The problem was intermittent, and it took me a while to rule out other possibilities (the reusable filter, placement of the filter basket), although I do wonder if the finely ground coffee beans might have exacerbated the problem. Still, that's no excuse. The coffee maker should be able to handle store-bought coffee beans, regardless of how finely ground they are.

I just looked up the wattage of my unit: It's not 1200, against which the linked blog post warns, but it's more than the 900 the post recommends. My unit is 1,000 watts. I can live with that, as long as the coffee goes into the carafe, and not onto the countertop.

It could be improper alignment between the caraffe fill hole and the drain from the funnel. Try rotating the caraffe handle around in different positions. It might align better. We have this problem at work with an old industrial Bunn maker and various retrofit caraffes from home.

Thought this was going to be an obit for Juan Valdez or something.

This thread got very funny, very fast (even though the last post was almost a year ago).

I've officially sworn off auto-drip makers, unless I'm using a commercial unit. I'll use a press pot for Indonesian and some African coffees, and a vacuum pot for Central American beans. Both make the final product faster than drip makers, and actually get the water up to just-off-of-boiling (which most drip makers don't). As for press pots using more grounds: yes, they do, but I also don't add water to Chimay Grand Reserve to prolong its life. ::w00t::