Sign in to follow this  

Blade Runner (1982)

(With egg on face) Ron, you caught me. I was simply trying to pull something out from almost twenty years ago, and I failed. My best guess, at this point, is that it is from Fischer's True Believers Don't Ask Why. And I suppose, way back then, I was so amazed at a Christian liking an R-rated film and finding redemptive/Christian symbolism in one that I have failed to forget the reference, even though it may have been slight.

(With egg on face) Ron, you caught me.

No worries, about the egg. I certainly wasn't trying to catch you out! Just trying to dig into this intriguing film. And it would be interesting to hear what Mr F has to say about it. Should you happen to find it anywhere, let me know!

Ron

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

I flipped on American Movie Classics this morning and caught the last 20 minutes or so of Blade Runner. That wouldn't be news except that it was the 1982 theatrical release, which I'm sure I haven't seen for 15 years. I had forgotten how horrible the "happy" ending is. As Rachel and Deckard fly off into the sun together, he says in voice over (I'm working from memory here):

"Gaff had been there and had let her live. Four-year lifespan, he figured. But he was wrong. Tyrell had told me that Rachel was special. I don't know how long she'll live. But who does?"

Lame-ity lame lame.

Unfortunately, Blade Runner isn't on AMC's schedule again, so we all missed the chance to tape it.

Eh... the lameness seems to have been lost in the translation. Unless you're objecting to the standard "ride off into the sunset" thing, which while not quite in synch with the rest of the film isn't in and of itself lame in my opinion.

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"

...except that it's a terribly written dramatic cop-out.

As I just blogged:

4. Side note: I am watching
(1982) for the first time in years, and I don't care for it now any more than I have on previous viewings; but one thing that does jump out at me is that Tyrell (Joe Turkel) talks an awful lot like Agent Smith in
. An intentional homage, on the Wachowskis' part?

I am also impressed by
's repeated use of the eye motif, and by the way the "empathy tests" that separate the human beings from the replicants are based on whether the respondents demonstrate empathy for mere animals. So . . . human society feels it doesn't have to show any empathy for replicants because they don't have any empathy for animals? Interesting.

I was also reminded this time of how Rutger Hauer sticks the nail in his hand TO STAY ALIVE, or to stay VITAL, at least -- which is an interesting inversion of the historical Crucifixion and the DEATH that it brought. (Though I guess it brought life, too, albeit indirectly; the Crucifixion wouldn't have been much without the Resurrection.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I am also impressed by Ridley Scott's repeated use of the eye motif...

I actually wrote a paper on Blade Runner for my undergraduate film class. I wrote on the motif of eyes. The film begins by cutting back and forth between a single shot of an eye and the cityscape. It ends with Rutger Hauer's "I have seen things you wouldn't believe" speech. (Reminiscient of his earlier "if you could see the things I've seen with your eyes" line.) The whole theme of empathy is about getting people to see through someone else's eyes (perspective). Rachel "remembers" seeing a seen of a spider eating her young by actually borrowing the experience from Tyrell's neice. And of course, the way Roy kills Tyrell is by gouging out his eyes.

There's a lot there....

Yeah, and that other replicant almost pokes out Deckard's eyes, too, before Rachael intervenes. And then there are all those searchlights poking in everywhere.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

What does Blade Runner have to do with the Genesis creation story? Here's a look at the contrasting Creator stories.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

The style of literary criticism that interjects terms like "power relationship" into Genesis 1-3, and indeed views the text primarily through the lens of such categories, may be the sort I find least helpful and interesting in all the world.

Of course, the author of this essay would say that this is because I "approve the power relationship" in question.

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

From Variety this weekend:

Warner homevid has disentangled "Blade Runner's" famously thorny rights issues to pave the way for a September reissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley Scott's final cut.

Warner's rights to "Blade Runner" lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The pic, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The helmer started working on the final cut version in 2000, but that project was shelved by Warner soon after, apparently because the studio couldn't come to terms with Jerry Perenchio over rights issues.

The restored "Director's Cut" will debut on homevid in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium. "Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials.

From thedigitalbits.com:

This coming September, there will be a new limited DVD release (HD-DVD & Blu-ray Disc are also planned) of the restored 1992 Director's Cut (you know... the one that isn't really a director's cut). This will be available for just four months.

Then next year, just in time for the film's 25th anniversary, Ridley Scott's ultimate Blade Runner: The Final Cut will hit theaters for a limited run. This will be a REAL director's cut, with restored scenes and more - all the stuff that Ridley's always wanted to do with the film but hasn't really been given the chance to do before. That will be followed later in the year by an Ultimate Blade Runner DVD release. You can expect a multi-disc box set (again, likely with a simultaneous HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc release) that will contain at least four different versions of the film... ALL in full anamorphic widescreen, we might add. You'll get the film's original U.S. theatrical cut, you'll get the expanded international theatrical cut, you'll get the 1992 Director's Cut and you'll get the new Final Cut as well.

Edited by Doug C

For those who haven't seen the well-produced BBC documentary On the Edge of Blade Runner (2000), and don't want to wait for the DVD, you can watch it online here.

That news makes me very excited Doug. Thanks for sharing! ::w00t::

Edited by Anders

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I posted this news on my blog a few days ago, only to discover a few minutes later that the expanded, director's cut of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven has been released so quietly that hardly anyone has noticed. I mean, shoot, you can get the four-disc set with the 194-minute cut, and no one I know is even talking about seeing it.

I'm curious, personally. I didn't like the story much, but the visuals were more than enough reason to sit through it, and I've heard that this version of the story is much stronger.

Anyway, I too am very very excited about the Blade Runner release, and if they bring it to theaters I'll be standing in line. It doesn't get much better than Blade Runner on the big screen.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

Anyway, I too am very very excited about the Blade Runner release, and if they bring it to theaters I'll be standing in line. It doesn't get much better than Blade Runner on the big screen.

No doubt, but unfortunately it's going to be a limited release... which means those of us in "flyover country" will miss out. Again.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Then next year, just in time for the film's 25th anniversary, Ridley Scott's ultimate Blade Runner: The Final Cut will hit theaters for a limited run. This will be a REAL director's cut, with restored scenes and more - all the stuff that Ridley's always wanted to do with the film but hasn't really been given the chance to do before. That will be followed later in the year by an Ultimate Blade Runner DVD release. You can expect a multi-disc box set (again, likely with a simultaneous HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc release) that will contain at least four different versions of the film... ALL in full anamorphic widescreen, we might add. You'll get the film's original U.S. theatrical cut, you'll get the expanded international theatrical cut, you'll get the 1992 Director's Cut and you'll get the new Final Cut as well.

::w00t:: ::w00t:: ::w00t:: =D> ::flip_anim::

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: I posted this news on my blog a few days ago, only to discover a few minutes later that the expanded,

: director's cut of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven has been released so quietly that hardly anyone has

: noticed. I mean, shoot, you can get the four-disc set with the 194-minute cut, and no one I know is even

: talking about seeing it.

But ... but ... you know me ...

Just wanted to let you all know that the director's cut of this movie is on sale at Amazon for $6.99 as part of their big Christmas DVd sale.

That's just how eye roll.

Yeah, I know. I can only do one Amazon Associate at a time!

Clicking the link I gave will also support a good cause, just not A&F.

That's just how eye roll.

Here comes the 5-disc Blade Runner: The Final Cut.

blade-runner-finalcut.jpg

May be the most elaborate impressive package of its kind since the Criterion Brazil release. Three versions of the film... four if you count the "rarely seen Work Print."

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

four if you count the "rarely seen Work Print."

Does anyone know if this is the version that played at the NuArt Theatre in 1991, a revival that was supposed to play for only two days, yet ended up playing for nearly five weeks to sold out audiences (I saw it on night 2). I believe that the music used in this cut was from The Planet of the Apes, and that the success of this theatrical run was responsible for the eventual "Director's Cut".

I know what I want for my birthday!

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

The new "Final Cut" of Blade Runner will be released to theaters this fall. No word yet if it's a limited run or a wide release, though my money is on the former.

EDIT: Or maybe not. I just saw the commercial, and all it says is "Coming Fall 2007". So it may only be in that box set.

Edited by Clint M

Blade Runner turned 25 yesterday, as did John Carpenter's The Thing. What great weekend that was for theatre hopping (not that I advocate that kind of thing :D ).

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Cool note, baal! I had no idea those movies opened on the same weekend.

Neither was immediately appreciated, were they? Both are great. Blade Runner gets the A-treatment from nearly everyone these days, while The Thing, which is equally as good in my book, but of course a very different kind of movie, isn't thought to be in the same league. Part of this has to do with the ascendence of Ridley Scott, while Carpenter contented himself with sci-fi/horror films that were quite good for a time.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Neither was immediately appreciated, were they? Both are great.

I think a little feel good movie named E.T., which was released two weeks earlier, may have hurt the initial appreciation for these two "darker" films... appreciation that, for both, took years to garner. It's funny, I loved E.T. when it came out, yet I probably haven't revisited that film in close to 20 years, whereas Blade Runner is yearly viewing in my house, and The Thing is viewed at least every other year.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude