Sign in to follow this  
Sara

Writing on a topic and getting an "ahem"

BBBCanada wrote:

: I didnt' even know about that Google search feature. I just assumed that it was a link

: to the Google search engine, not that it could specifically look up stuff here at A&F.

: Thanks Diane! I'l be sure to try that the next time I do a search! Sweeeet!

ARRRRRRGH.

The Google feature is ONLY a back-up feature, a Plan B, a course of last resort, a something that you use when the text-string you are looking for is only three letters long.

All REAL searches are done NOT with the Google feature but with the "Search" button at the top of the screen (nestled between "Help" and "Users") -- and the only problem with THAT search engine is that it is restricted to words of at least four letters.

You don't know HOW MANY unnecessary new threads are started just because people rely on Google exclusively.

asher wrote:

: Peter has "a hemed" so much that it has lost its effect.

Yeah, it's great, isn't it? I figure that's why so many other people have taken up the cause -- it's no longer just a "Peter" thing any more. smile.gif

Sara, meet Peter.

Forget wedgies. I think they get swirlies.

----------

Edited by Jason Bortz

The Google feature is ONLY a back-up feature, a Plan B, a course of last resort, a something that you use when the text-string you are looking for is only three letters long.

All REAL searches are done NOT with the Google feature but with the "Search" button at the top of the screen (nestled between "Help" and "Users") -- and the only problem with THAT search engine is that it is restricted to words of at least four letters.

You don't know HOW MANY unnecessary new threads are started just because people rely on Google exclusively.

That's what I plan on using it for. Obviously, I used the main search button because I wasn't aware of Google. But thanks for the tip. I will use it with responsibility and at any speed I like.

Edited by BBBCanada

FWIW, I find it's worth playing with the search titles only / whole post options and the display as topics / individual posts options. these give a good degree of flexibility.

I'd say the general rule for a newbie would be give it your best shot, but if you can't find something then just post it. I you get ahem-ed then it's not anything bad. Peter is so quick that the conversation can quickly move back onto the original thread.

"The Son" is an unusually hard one as it doesn't have a main word in it's title. If I was searching fo rthis I would have used the board option, searched for "fils" (not in quotes) searching the whole post, but displaying only titles. That gives 28 options but it's then obvious that the fifth one down is the main post (and that if I had searched titles only that would have worked as well).

You can sometimes narrow this down as well if you've been around a bit longer and you remember a particular person discussing this one a lot, so for example a search involving M Dale Prins might bring it to the surface if nothing else did (this is more for people who have been around a while though)

The other thing you can do for this particular film is view it on the top 100 which has a link to the thread. It's a slightly exceptional case, but then it's already exceptional cos of the short title so what the heck?

Matt

Edited by MattPage

I had not thought about the links to the top 100. Good idea.

However, Matt, are you saying that if you can't find the original thread, rather than giving up and not posting, to just go ahead and post anyway - knowing Peter will catch it and put it where it belongs?

That makes sense to me because taking forever to do a search may deplete your enthusiasm for what you wanted to post

Edited by Sara

Just realised I never went back and updated that last post. 28 possible threads was more than I was expecting, but few enough for a scan of the titles that will find the right thread to not take too long.

: However, Matt, are you saying that if you can't find the original thread,

: rather than giving up and not posting, to just go ahead and post anyway -

: knowing Peter will catch it and put it where it belongs?

Yes, I am saying that, definitely, but I'm not guaranteeting that everyone sees it that way. But for my money that's the best way of helping people into the site, being both well organised and hence easy to work out what's going on (which is why Peter likes to link ahem, but also friendly enough so newbies don't feel too out of place.

I think everyone would prefer a decent post than no post before, and the admins can always merge if it' appropriate.

Matt

And don't take the "ahem" personally. It's kinda an inside joke. I'm sure that most of us mean it to be much more polite and sensitive than it sounds

Heh, I took my first "ahem" very hard. It had something to do with X-Men 3, and I thought you'd all regard me as the scum of the Earth for causing such a raucus. Then again, I didn't get off to the best start here, what with my "Rogert Ebert Hates Creationists" topic. pinch.gif Ah, if only I could have my newbie days to do over again.

But anyways, now I see that to be "ahemed" isn't a personal thing at all, really. It's just the way that the Moderators take care of business around here. Nor do I think that causing "ahems" is really a big deal either. Believe me, I've caused enough "ahems" to constitute a whole upper respiratory infection, and I haven't been banned yet! biggrin.giftongue.gif

At least I've never started an ahemmable thread.

Ahem.

Ahem.

Ahem.