Sign in to follow this  
MattPage

How will you fare in the new list?

Will you have seen more films in the new top 100 than the old one?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will you have seen more films in the new top 100 than the old one?

• Yes, I reckon I'll have seen more
    • No, I reckon all my hard work catching up will be undone
    • I'll be about the same

MattPage   

I'm really hoping that the new top 100 doesn't give me an even worse percentage of films that I've seen in it. I've still only got to 63%, eventhouugh I've got Andrei Rublev and Wild Strawberries on my shelf. But since this process has started I'm put off seeing them as they could get bumped. So I though I'd start this poll

Matt

MattPage   
Alan:

My crystal ball says....

Doug's percentages go up...

Everyone else's go down.

laugh.gif

Peace.

Ken

OOh I don't know. Doug sat on the special jury with the largest allocation last time IIRC so he's bound to have seen all the ones that jury added to the list, whereas this time that system isn't in play so he may go down.

Matt

I had seen far fewer than half of the nominated films in Round 2. There were a surprising number of films that I had never even heard of. But that's one of the things I love about A&F... there is a very broad range of tastes and interests represented here. To think of ever seeing *everything* isn't realistic, but the comments and debate here often pique my interest in projects.

So, now that I've purchased Andre Rublev and Wings of Desire (thanks to recommendations here) I need to find time to watch them. Sigh.

Andrei Rublevand Wild Strawberries ... could get bumped.

Not if I have anything to say about it! smile.gif And I do. And I have.

Edited by Christian

finnegan   

There are soooo many movies on the current list that I haven't seen, that I can't imagine that I will have seen fewer of the ones on the new list.

SZPT   

recall / remember

to-MAY-to / to-MAH-to

jubu   

Hello everyone,

I've been away for awhile...am excited about the new list...I predict that my percentage will go up...I base this on one simple fact - that I had seen most of the older films and few of the newer films on the 2004 list, and I figure that should work out for me, since I suspect/hope that the Dropped40% will come mostly from the newer films. If anyone ever wants to chat, I'm usually on the IMDB Classics Film Board (id: "ju-bu"....get it?); and my favorite directors include Bergman, Bresson, Kiarostami, Ozu, and Tarkovsky, all of whom I trust will be well represented on the new and improved list.

Take care everyone, and drop a line here (or there).

MattPage   

Gutted. My respectable-if-a-little-low 63 plummets to an obscene 46, the only redeeming feature of which is that it is the same year that Rome Open City was released.

sad.gif

I was expecting to drop, but certainly not by this much (27%).

Matt

John   

On initial count, I dropped from 100 to 80. I kind of expected a drop, though I wish it had been a bit less. It would have been 79 had I not seen one of the newbies three days ago. A few others new ones were already in my queue, but I'd say there were about 10-15 that were pretty new to me.

Edited by John

Doug C   
I'm really hoping that the new top 100 doesn't give me an even worse percentage of films that I've seen in it.
Really, Matt? I can honestly say that it's the lists with the most films I haven't seen that are the most interesting to me. How sad would it be if I'd already seen the most spiritually significant films? I might as well pack up and find another subject of interest.

Doug C   

For the record, I've only seen 87 of them, which is about the same as last year.

I haven't seen:

35. The Passion Of The Christ

36. Tender Mercies

45. Becket

48. To End All Wars

55. Dogville

60. Luther

62. The Gospel of John

63. Lilies of the Field

66. Hotel Rwanda

72. Millions

76. The Believer

98. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

99. In America

Edited by Doug C

Doug C   
It's my impression/hypothesis (again, unproven) that people who make the slightly harder effort to track down less available films (and are hence able to rank them rather than abstain) are more likely to be the people who value them.
But the same math would also explain why The Passion of the Christ (and other films) ranked so highly, too; the people who watched it were the segment of the population primed to love it.

DanBuck   
For the record, I've only seen 87 of them, which is about the same as last year.

I haven't seen:

35.  The Passion Of The Christ

36.  Tender Mercies

45.  Becket

48.  To End All Wars

55.  Dogville

60.  Luther

62.  The Gospel of John

63.  Lilies of the Field

66.  Hotel Rwanda

72.  Millions

76.  The Believer

98.  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

99.  In America

So funny. I've seen all of these. And probably none of the others.

Doug C   

Any of those you would personally recommend, Dan?

Jason wrote:

I just felt it a shame to see one of the more straightforward, "child-accessible" and biblical stories go in favor of a largely "mature" and intellectually savvy list. Of all the films above, for instance, there are only a very small handful that would capture my 3-year-old's attentions for an even brief period of time

I was with you until you mentioned your child

DanBuck   

55. Dogville - Yep. Love it or hate it, it's vastly important.

66. Hotel Rwanda - Quite moving.

98. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Surprisingly clever and Jonez diplorable characters are hemmed in a bit by Gondry.

99. In America - Along with Gosford Park, my favorite film viewing of the last 3 years.

Doug C   

Cool, in all honesty, those probably would have been my first four picks to see. The first three have definitely been on my To See list for some time...

Thom   
Doug, you'll really like Eternal Sunshine, I think.

I think Doug would appreciate it as well.

So far my viewing of the movies on this exhaustive list is 100 percent, which may have something to do with the fact that I haven't seen the list yet.