Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Arts & Faith Spiritually Significant Films (2005)

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

--content deleted--

Posted · Report post

Nice work, Alan.

Rosetta???!!! ohmy.gifblink.gifhuh.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

That's amazing!

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's strange. Awesome. But strange, especially since while all three of the films by The Brothers Dardenne that have had an American release (at nos. 1, 9, and 32!) take on moral issues, Rosetta is the one that does so least explicitly. But still awesome.

Why am I not seeing A Moment on Innocence, um, anywhere, even in the also-rans?

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Posted · Report post

Here is the list of current Top100 films that dropped off the list this year, with their respective ranks (out of 325):

Fearless also dropped off. sad.gif

But Henry V....wow. I mean...wow.

Posted · Report post

I'm delighted to see that 'Wit' made it this year - woohoo! And I see still more films to add to my Netflix queue.

Posted · Report post

The Most 1s and the Most 5s are both pretty good lists.

Posted · Report post

Rosetta's placement at #1 is a strange fluke, but I'm not going to complain. BTW, I interviewed the Dardennes at TIFF last week and they were every bit as charming and gracious as you might expect.

Of all the films that dropped off the list, there are only three or four I'll miss.

Posted · Report post

Also, The Greatest Love (#34) should be listed as Europa '51 and The Flowers of St. Francis is available from Netflix here.

Now I'm going to have to see this Rosetta. I wonder if I can find it. I bet it'll be just like Lancelot Andrews. Hailed as a devotional master, you can't find his stuff anywhere.

Edited by Michael Todd

Posted · Report post

Rosetta is pretty widely available on VHS in the US, and it's available as a 2-disc DVD thaat includes La Promesse from Artificial Eye in the UK.

Posted · Report post

I think I saw the sequel -- Romancing the Rosetta Stone. Oooh, I hate it when I watch films out of order.

Interesting results. Lots of new films, many of which I've seen, but a few new ones to add to the list. Alas, the five films I miss the most, in no particular order: Fearless, YOLD (both of these satisfy my Weir obsession), Waking Life, Days of Heaven, and Songs from the Second Floor. Oh well, maybe next year...

Edited by John

Posted · Report post

And just to level out my last post, I am not just yearning for days gone by. There are a number of new titles I am excited about seeing for the first time: Rosetta, Nostalghia, Europa '51, Les Mis, plus the two (each) new Bresson and Ozu films that I haven't seen.

Firstly thanks Alan for doing a wonderful job.

I have to say I'm disappointed with how we voted. There's not much been added that (at this point) I rejoice in. It may be that having watched some of the new titles I disagree.

On the other hand there are some significant losses:

Crimes and Misdemeanours

Waking Life

On the Waterfront

La Dolce Vita

All (if I'm not mistaken) were first rounders last time and don't even make the cut, yet somehow Millions and Shawshank Redemption do make it?

And I'm saddened to see Secrets and Lies, Changing Lanes, Hell House, Dogma, Life of Brian and even The Matrix go. I can understand the last 3 going although I thought they added a great deal to the list by way of accessibility

And of course poor old Field of Dreams misses the boat again.

Perhaps there is a mine of treasures awaiting my discovery and in years to come I'll look back with a fond an ironic smile at the idiot I am now, but, suffice to say I'm disappointed

Matt

PS Is it inevitable that Millions will win the most significant exploration award for the FFCC? I really don't see it, and can't believe that it will still be on the list in 5 years time.

Edited by MattPage

Posted · Report post

As I note on the Peter Weir Thread (in the top 100 section) Weir is this list's biggest loser, going from hero to zero. Yesterday he had 4 in the top 100 second only behind Tarkovsky. This morning he has none.

Matt

Posted · Report post

Thanks for all the analysis, Alan. Did I miss the list of the NEW films displacing the list above of films that dropped out? I am curious to see what we lost, say, Crimes and Misdemeanors TO, so to speak. (Though like Doug I'm not really melancholy about most of the dropped list. In fact I'm rather pleased to see Changing Lanes no longer make the grade, and positively delighted to see Dogma and American Beauty fall from grace.)

Posted · Report post

P.S. If the list were made public by, say, 6:00am Friday, I could maybe include it in my Friday update....

Posted · Report post

What do you have against Changing Lanes? (No need to answer on the others)

FWIW IIRC 2 of the last 3 winners of the PFCC/AFC2/FFCC "Most Spiritual film of the year" award have been culled.

Matt

Out, you idiot voters?:

Crimes And Misdemeanors

Hell House

Secrets & Lies

Vanya on 42nd Street

Out, thank God:

Waking Life

The Matrix

Groundhog Day

Changing Lanes

Star Wars Trilogy

Punch-Drunk Love (great film; not appropriate)

American Beauty

In, thank God:

Rosetta

A Taste of Cherry

In, you idiot voters?:

nothing really, although I've not seen a bunch

All in all, I'll take it over last year.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Posted · Report post

Obeservations.

1. Alan is cool.

2. People clearly don't appreciate the brilliance of Quiz Show.

3. The films people are most polarized about are the popular films. Note: Of the "Receiving the most ones but ON the list" list and the "receiving the most fives but NOT on the list" almost all of them are house hold names.

4. Of all the new films I have seen 4. And only like two of those.

5. I'm with Dale. Lots of Goners I'm pleased about, a few I'm angry about, and almost all the newbies I'm "Hunh?" about.

re: the films we lost.

108 The Sweet Hereafter sad.gif

113 The Man Without A Past sad.gif

116 Crimes And Misdemeanors angry.gif

117 The Truman Show sad.gifsad.gif

155 Waking Life w00t.gif

160 The Matrix luxhello.gif

164 Life of Brian sad.gif

204 Henry V puppy_dog_eyes.gif

215 Star Wars Trilogy luxhello.gif

228 Grand Canyon luxhello.gif

241 Dogma luxhello.gif

254 American Beauty luxhello.gif

Edited by DanBuck

Posted · Report post

Signs, I like it more than most, but I don't think it belongs on the list.

Posted · Report post

No Spaceballs? NO SPACEBALLS!!?!? grin.gif

Other than the list missing that unfortunate unremembered masterpiece, I like it a lot better. Not that I've seen any of these films, just that it actually looks like a film list (for instance, no Star Wars) and it gives me some great looking challenges.

I have got to do something about my misconnection with all things Dardennes. It is clearly a flaw in my otherwise impeccable character.

-s.

I'm staying on my drunk until Fearless and Henry V come back.

Oh, hey, just noticed Prince of Egypt, our only animated feature--and our only 'children's' feature, I think-- is gone too. I guess I'll have to explain Bresson and Tartovsky to my kids. Although it'll be more difficult, in that I'll be slurring my words and intermittently bursting into huge, gibbering sobs or pounding my fist against the bar.

Oh, wait...I can let them watch Dogville! It has a cute sounding name!

Edited by Jason Bortz

Posted · Report post

If it makes you feel better, Bortz, know that I am right there with you. Of course, that has nothing to do with this list...

-s.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0