Sign in to follow this  
Michael Todd

We Need a Video Game Section

Hey Alan, why don't we have a video game section on this board? Sid Meier's Pirates! is far more artistic than Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

S'funny you should mention this Michael - I've been thinking about the spirituality of computer games, and whether Christians should really be starting to take them a bit more seriously by now.

Sadly I don't play them at all, so I'm not really the right person to do it, but even so I might try and pen an article callin on others to do so.

Matt

I like sports and strategy games.

Maybe I should attend FullSail, learn how to design games, then start a Christian video game company. We must be edgy though, none of that, NES: Bible Adventures.

I've got non-edgy ideas too. The Good Samaritan, where you play a guy named Amaziah that time travels to save historic figures from assasination. I can imagine the opening sequence as I write. A CGI character saves a man he finds on the road from Jerusalem to Jericho, by throwing him over his shoulder and fighting bandits and rabid wolves until he makes it to a roadside inn. After that, an angel gives him the Sun Dial of Jehovah, which gives him the ability to travel anywhere from the court of Charlemagne to the Revolutionary France.

Oh, what about this: Sim Shepherd? You start off as a young boy, and you learn to play the lyre, or flute, and compose psalms. You manage your flock, seek out pasture land, and make sure you make a profit. There'll be fights with bears and lions. You get to go on adventures with your brothers who are serving as soldiers in the King's army. It'll be awesome!

What about a game where you get to be a prophet? Will you be a major or minor prophet? Only your obedience to God will determine your place in the canon.

Oh, there are so many. Christians are dumber than dirt to not have exploited this untapped market. So many great game ideas: everything from slaying the Witch of Endor to leading Paul on missionary adventures. My current employer, UPS, is simply not utilizing my creative talent.

: My current employer, UPS, is simply not utilizing my creative talent

Yeah you're wasted man

Matt

On topic, I'm sympathetic, since there are a few great games out there, but I don't think that those games are likely to be enough, at this point, to fill a forum. I mean, how long can we discuss Deus Ex before we get tired of it? wink.gif

BTW, anybody played any of those which are the equivalent of Christian music: basically repackaged popular titles like Doom or Myst, just with Christian themes?

BTW, anybody played any of those which are the equivalent of Christian music: basically repackaged popular titles like Doom or Myst, just with Christian themes?

Well, I think one could argue that Myst already has Christian themes woven into it, albeit probably in a much more subtle way than the games you're referring to.

This has been suggested a couple of times now if ya do a search.

I mentioned a game here that was Christian...

On topic, I'm sympathetic, since there are a few great games out there, but I don't think that those games are likely to be enough, at this point, to fill a forum. I mean, how long can we discuss Deus Ex before we get tired of it? wink.gif

Billy Graham's Bible Blasters, for one.

"You just winged him - he's an Unitarian now."

What??? Billy Graham a Unitarian???? Surely you jest.

As for games, I still think Age of Empires and Civilization stand heads above all of them.

As for "Christian" games, let it go. I don't think the two mix.

Sara

What??? Billy Graham a Unitarian???? Surely you jest.

As for games, I still think Age of Empires and Civilization stand heads above all of them.

As for "Christian" games, let it go. I don't think the two mix.

Sara

It's from an episode of the Simpsons - the idea was to hit people with Bibles and they would be converted from pagans to Christians. At one point, Rod says the above line.

It's from an episode of the Simpsons - the idea was to hit people with Bibles and they would be converted from pagans to Christians. At one point, Rod says the above line.

smile.gif

Sara

Well, I think one could argue that Myst already has Christian themes woven into it, albeit probably in a much more subtle way than the games you're referring to.

Well, I might be able to see that. But I'm not sure exactly what makes them CHRISTIAN, as opposed to vaguely spiritual/psychological. Basically, I had never heard before that the Miller brothers were Christian, and I would never have been able to tell from any of the games developed by Cyan. They could as easily be made by a pantheist or a Buddhist as a Christian, I think. Perhaps there are themes woven in which I missed? (I've played the first 3 Myst games through at least 3 times each, so it'd have to be something pretty subtle . . . )

: My current employer, UPS, is simply not utilizing my creative talent

Yeah you're wasted man

Matt

I have the suspicion that you are not saying that as a compliment.

D'oh - I knew I'd pitch that one wrong, and now I read it again I cringe at the way it could be taken.

It wasn't meant to be insulting. Sorry if it was. I think I was trying to affirm on the one hand your creative mind, whilst trying to join in with the tongue in cheek approach I thought I sensed (hopefully not wrongly) on the other.

Matt

D'oh - I knew I'd pitch that one wrong, and now I read it again I cringe at the way it could be taken.

It wasn't meant to be insulting. Sorry if it was. I think I was trying to affirm on the one hand your creative mind, whilst trying to join in with the tongue in cheek approach I thought I sensed (hopefully not wrongly) on the other.

Matt

Matt,

Thank you... I actually have some better ideas. I used to want to write a novel about some unexpressed ideas, but I've had several people tell me that they thought it would make a better video game.

Regarding a video game about Paul's Missionary Journeys, or others who follow after him. I'd play something like it, if it was done well.

Just imagine a map of the Mediteranean, you have an opening sequence depicting the Pentecost, perhaps Peter's visit to Cornelius, Paul's conversion, his journeys, andthen John's revelation. Much to a dispensationalist's delight, the game starts in 90-95 A.D. at the end of the Apostolic Age, with St. John's death.

There are various sized churches throughout the Roman Empire. Existing churches must remain orthodox; many other cities must be proselytized. In the game you'd have to deal with false prophets, persecution, lack of popularity, gnosticism, judiazers, and other various heresies. As the game's player, you could send out missionaries, heal magistrates, disfellowship heretics, write epistles for encouragement, appoint bishops, translate Scripture (or not), start orphanages and hospitals, hold prayer vigils, manage each church's spiritual formation through focused preaching, etc.

In the end, the Germans tribes overrun the Western part of the Roman Empire. Then it's time for the expansion pack.

What do you think would be a good title for the game? "Light and Salt: a game of Faith"

Creating games combines the arts of writers, digital painting (for texturing 3D models, or making 2D terrain maps or pixel based sprite characters), and 3D computer graphics. There is some good art out there... What is lacking is good Christian games that don't strike folks as overly cheesy...

Creating games combines the arts of writers, digital painting (for texturing 3D models, or making 2D terrain maps or pixel based sprite characters), and 3D computer graphics. There is some good art out there... What is lacking is good Christian games that don't strike folks as overly cheesy...

Just like pretty much every other medium.

Just like pretty much every other medium.

Precisely! And like a comic book or graphic novel, sometimes it combines the talents of people layered on top of each other (penciler and inker and colorist... 3D graphics, texure artist, animator...)

I just want all you people to know my latest prediction, though it probably doesn't go here.

Alright, so there is the nightly news, and then the American Evangelical Christians put out the 700 Club/CBN. There are some knockoffs on EWTN, too.

So, there is pop music, and the is a Christian version of contemporary pop music. There is practically a Christian version of every music genre imaginable.

The same is happening to movies. The mediocre imitations are getting incrementally better.

Then, I made a prediction, there will be Christian video games. It is an untapped gold mine that my fellow brothers and sisters have yet to strike a decent vein in. I don't follow it that much, but I see more and more every time I walk into the Evangelical twin of Barnes & Noble.

Okay... so my latest prediction - Christian versions of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. It might be web based, but I see it happening. They are mockeries of nightly news and pundit driven cable news opinion shows. Mark my word, there will be a Christian version, somehow, some way. Soon... like in five years.

IMHO, there has never been a better game than the original arcade version of Tempest.

Then, I made a prediction, there will be Christian video games. It is an untapped gold mine that my fellow brothers and sisters have yet to strike a decent vein in. I don't follow it that much, but I see more and more every time I walk into the Evangelical twin of Barnes & Noble.

There already are such a thing

Okay... so my latest prediction - Christian versions of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. It might be web based, but I see it happening. They are mockeries of nightly news and pundit driven cable news opinion shows. Mark my word, there will be a Christian version, somehow, some way. Soon... like in five years.

Surely Steven Baldwin has some spare time between his Christian skateboarding videos to host such a show, with Petra as the house band and a regular series of guests: Kirk and Chelsea Cameron, Vince Gill and Amy Grant, Ted Baehr, Dirk the Christian guy that was on the first season of Survivor, and the blond girl who used to be on The Facts of Life and then released a Christian music album.

Surely Steven Baldwin has some spare time between his Christian skateboarding videos to host such a show, with Petra as the house band and a regular series of guests: Kirk and Chelsea Cameron, Vince Gill and Amy Grant, Ted Baehr, Dirk the Christian guy that was on the first season of Survivor, and the blond girl who used to be on The Facts of Life and then released a Christian music album.

Don't forget Elizabeth from the View.

Don't forget Elizabeth from the View.

I think there are several NFL stars who are Christians, too. They're probably worth interviewing. And, perhaps in the Christian version of John Madden's video game, they could be given supernatural abilities to run faster and hit harder than the other players.