Sign in to follow this  
Sara

Why can't there be threads for each film?

I just watched Peter Weir's "Fearless" and was overwhelmed by it. I looked for a discussion of it, ready to have a live conversation about it - alas, what my search turned up was a huge long thread on all of Peter Weir's films, and there seemed to be no discussion of Fearless. But I put my post there.

One reason I have come to this forum is to have live interaction - not just do a search and pull up an old thread on the director. I can find lots of reviews on the internet at various sites with good thoughts, but it does not take the place of conversation and interaction. I like spontaneity. And nothing squashes being excited about a film than having to plow through 2 year old threads before you can open your mouth.

In fairness to others, I will say that this film is not new, and maybe you don't care if it is sandwiched in a thread of Peter Weir's films - rather than having its own thread. You all have been here longer than I have, and I'm sure talking about this film is not high on your list. But please don't point me to an old thread. It's like being excited about a topic in class wanting to talk about it, and being told to go to the library. Nothing wrong with the library. It's just that current dialogue is more stimulating.

It makes me feel like everything that needs to be said has already been said.

I don't mean to offend.

Sara

Edited by Sara

There can be. There's no reason not to have a thread on Fearless. It also is ok to put it into a broader discussion as you did. There are some threads for other Weir films (Master & Commander, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Witness). Someone might have semi-ahemed to point to the Weir thread (but maybe not even that if there's no discussion of Fearless there) , but it's not the same as a full fledged ahem. Broader categories like the Films of Peter Weir are useful for talking about things such as common themes that show up in a director's films, but individual films can be discussed on their own.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Did someone say there can't be?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

My impression is, you can start any topic you want to. Fearless would make an interesting topic.

Movies which are in theaters, obviously, are being seen by more people at once, and so get an inherent bias. Other than that, the quality of the movie is probably the only criterion for topic-worthiness.

That's just how eye roll.

If you're referring to getting "ahemed", you can usually avoid it by including a link to the other topic related to the film in your new topic (e.g. if you want to post a new topic about Fearless, write "I just watched Peter Weir's Fearless and I was blown away...")

'Peter Weir' is linked, so if someone wants to read the original discussion, they can. I think of it as a Wikipedia page where everything is hyperlinked together.

Edited by finnegan

I have a blog? here at A&F that I sometimes post in.

If you're referring to getting "ahemed", you can usually avoid it by including a link to the other topic related to the film in your new topic ...

Or you can save time and just let our librarian do that. cool.gif

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd