Sign in to follow this  
finnegan

Virginia Film Festival

The festival is being held in Charlottesville this coming week (Thurs - Sun) and I have loose plans to check out a few of the discussions. VFF is, and has always been a small festival, light on the screenings, but heavy on the discussions, which I think is great.

Here's the website and here's the schedule.

I'm really interested to hear the discussion with John Grisham about the adaptations of his books, as well as The Exonerated.

Just wondering if any Virginians from this forum are gonna be there...

I'll have to ahem this, finnegan, but I do so reluctantly, delighted to find someone on this board (at last!) who wants to chat about this festival.

Unfortunately, my latest update on this year's festival is that I won't be attending. After narrowing things down to the Saturday screenings (I have to drive down from NoVa), my wife and I rather unexpectedly shelled out some big bucks on a new bedroom set. Looking over planned expenses that we could cut in light of our major financial outlay, the festival, although a very modest fee overall, was one of the first items we scratched off our list.

Which films are you planning to see? I was most interested in the Harold Lloyd screening. The Bujalski film might also be worthwhile, according to Doug Cummings, who plans to see it in L.A. soon.

Edited by Christian

For only the second time in six years, I won't be going, due to a reason that weighs a little over eight pounds.

Dale

Did you make it to this year's festival, finnegan?

Doug Cummings has just added a nice review of the Bujalski film that I had hoped to see at the festival.

Arg. I missed this. But then again, I wouldn't have been able to go anyway, considering. sad.gif

Well, poo. I'm going to have to figure out a way to make it this year. How angry will people be if I bring a baby to a Tarkovsky screening?

Dale

I'll be going -- and my film was selected to screen at this year's fest.

The Proper Care & Feeding of an American Messiah.

Chris Hansen

And I'm in that film!

So while I won't be there physically, I will be there in...

um...

representation?

visage?

thesaurus?

:blink:

Well, poo. I'm going to have to figure out a way to make it this year. How angry will people be if I bring a baby to a Tarkovsky screening?

Dale

Just bring the little guy. I mean, one has to do what one has to do and he will probably sleep right through it. Before we had children I couldn't believe that people had the nerve to bring infants into the theater for R-rated movies much less an art film. We have since joined the ranks of "those people." Fortunately for us, our infants were damn quite!

And I'm in that film!

So while I won't be there physically, I will be there in...

um...

representation?

visage?

thesaurus?

:blink:

Joe/AtticScripts,

I wish you could consider being there in person ... maybe? possibly?

Chris

I may come on Friday and see Ordet and probably TBA #2 or TBA #3. But it depends on what those TBAs turn out to be, and how much I have on my plate that day, and how well Benji has been behaving recently.

Dale

I'm trying to figure out a way that I could come down for a little while, but D.C. to Charlottesville is no mean feat, and they had to choose the weekend when us Catholic choristers have extra rehearsals because of the All Saints and All Souls deadly duo.

Another highlight: Chris Hansen's movie screens Thursday night, the 26th, at 7:15.

Also, Walden's Amazing Grace on Friday night, and Terry Lindvall's workshop, Hollywood, Teach Us to Pray, on Saturday morning.

And maybe Jeffrey will fly in for Sunday's screening of The Dark Crystal, with Jason Lust of the Jim Henson Company.

Edited by Christian

One last update:

VIRGINIA FILM FESTIVAL TO WELCOME DIRECTOR TOM SHADYAC FOR SCREENING OF BRUCE ALMIGHTY AND SPECIAL SNEAK PEEK AT SCENES FROM THE UPCOMING EVAN ALMIGHTY

ROBERT DUVALL TO MAKE SECOND APPEARANCE AT FESTIVAL TO PRESENT HIS ACADEMY-AWARD-WINNING TURN IN THE CLASSIC TENDER MERCIES

Festival Also Adds Screening of Acclaimed Film Little Children, Starring Kate Winslet

Charlottesville, VA

So who is actually going to this?

Here's the sucky thing: Out of all the weekends, this is the one weekend I'm supposed to help shoot part of a film in the Shenandoah Valley (a good hour and 20 minutes away from C'ville).

I may go Thursday evening to Iraq in Fragments.

I'm going to try to get off work on Friday and go to Iraq in Fragments (if I don't see it Thursday), and the Tender Mercies screening. Then I'd like to see Jesus Camp.

If they actually have a film print of the Seventh Seal, I'll be sorry I missed that. And I wish I could go to the Shadyac screening at 10 pm, but...

If any A&F folks are going to be there on Thurs or Fri, PM me and maybe we could meet up for coffee between screenings. I know C'ville pretty well, so I know of some cool places to meet.

Chris: I'd meant to post and ask you about how things went. Sold out?! That is great!

I didn't go this year, but a friend told me yesterday that he'd seen the Ray film that screened. Said it was extraordinary.

If you can provide more details about the discussion and the screening -- if those details would translate well for those who weren't in attendance -- I'd be eager to hear more.

Chris: I'd meant to post and ask you about how things went. Sold out?! That is great!

I didn't go this year, but a friend told me yesterday that he'd seen the Ray film that screened. Said it was extraordinary.

If you can provide more details about the discussion and the screening -- if those details would translate well for those who weren't in attendance -- I'd be eager to hear more.

Christian -- sorry for my delay in responding to this. I completely forgot to come back to the thread and check it!

As you say, I'm not sure it translates to people who weren't in attendance (or who haven't seen the film). I was impressed, personally, with the quality and the variety of the questions. So, while some people were very curious about production elements and having Tony Hale (from Arrested Development) in the movie, many wanted to talk about the characters, theit personalities, and the nature of what I was trying to say. And, you know, any chance I get to talk about myself and my film is fine with me!

Chris

The theme of this year's festival is "Kin Flicks," emphasizing films that deal with family issues.

The lineup has just been finalized, and my personal interest in this year's events just went through the roof.

The Festival opens with a highly anticipated family reunion with the return of independent film legend John Sayles. Sayles, who was honored at the second Virginia Film Festival in 1989, is extending the family theme, as he will be joined by longtime producer and life partner Maggie Renzi. The pair will present their new film Honeydripper, a look at the origins of rock and roll in the deep South. ...

The new